Backstage??

Winston3
#25re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/27/08 at 5:04pm

I honestly don't see what is wrong with it at all. I have had a couple of friends who went backstage that way. The actors that they were with agreed with them that the best way to do or get something is to ask. And, just like me they were actors that they had some kind of relationship with beyond the stagedoor. So, it was them being sketchy and just asking someone at the stage door to go backstage.

Goodbye Sister Disco

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#26re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/27/08 at 6:01pm

I am going backstage of Shrek in January! I am really excited because this going to be my first time actually getting to see a backstage of a Broadway theatre! re: Backstage?? Marissa O'Donnall [Teen Fiona] is going to give me and two of my friends a tour after the show! re: Backstage?? She's awesome!

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#27re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/27/08 at 6:15pm

Winston is SUCH a creeper

so gross

DefyGravity777
#28re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/27/08 at 7:42pm

I went backstage once before a show. I was standing at SD with a friend when someone recognized her and they took me along. It was neat since we got to see cast members getting ready and some rehearsing through some things onstage.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#29re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/27/08 at 9:05pm

I like when people ask me for backstage tours. I don't usually find it creepy.

TheCharleston
#30re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/27/08 at 9:07pm

Right

It's what they want to DO backstage that makes it creepy
Updated On: 12/27/08 at 09:07 PM

bwaybri2
#31re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/27/08 at 9:23pm

Here's what I remember about going back stage to Phantom - even though it has been playing forever - on the call board were several notes for cast and crew -

things like, "careful of entrance . . " "wait for this line. . ." "find the spikes . . " etc

I think thats great - alway refining - or being critical at least -

TheCharleston
#32re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/27/08 at 9:34pm

yes. that's the job of the Stage Manager and Production Assistants.

even with a show like PHANTOM, there are always members of the creative team (or production company) who will make visits and take notes a few times a year.

For many shows, the Musical Director or Assistant MD and a Production Assistant are asked to sit and watch a performance about every 4 - 6 weeks.

That's usually only for longer running shows though (such as AVENUE Q and ALTAR BOYZ and LION KING)

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#33re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/28/08 at 1:14am

I have two stories. The first time I went backstage was to the Phantom tour a few years ago. David Cryer (currently Firmin on Broadway) was the uncle of a friend of my dad's, who was with us. So we were let in backstage and I got to meet a couple of the actors and were led onstage and I got to sing for david and got to see some of the sets. It was a pretty ridiculous experiance.

Then when I was in NYC labor day of 2007 I saw Legally Blonde. Noah Weissberg grew up in the same town I did and his child hood mentor is my boss. So we got to to talking and he offered to give me a tour backstage. I was in awe cuz the Palace theatre has had so many amazing performers on that stage.

Both experiances were simply amazing.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

faith587 Profile Photo
faith587
#34re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/28/08 at 2:39am

I went backstage at Legally Blonde last fall because I paid for a tour at the Broadway Flea Market.

I also went backstage at Grinch last winter but only because I knew someone in the show.

Next Tuesday, I'm going backstage at Wicked because I know someone in the show and it's a surprise for my friend from Mississippi who is coming to NY for the first time ever.

SteamHeat2 Profile Photo
SteamHeat2
#35re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/28/08 at 3:11am

I think it is fine to ask to go backstage as long as you ask politely and in a totally non creepy way.
Don't be offended if your request is denied.
I find the easiest way to contact many broadway performers is through facebook. They may or may not have one and they may or may not respond or accept friend requests from fans. Try sending a message or if you must add them, add a message to your request mentioning you are planning on seeing the show [date] and then in some words ask for a quick backstage tour after the show.

Most people get tours by knowing the right people. That is how I have gotten them.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#36re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/28/08 at 3:47am

This thread is both hilarious and frightening.

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#37re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/28/08 at 7:46am

I don't see how you can call it hilarious OR frightening. It's human nature to be curious about the things that went into the show that can't usually be seen. It's a world that's usually only seen by those who are in the business, so having the opportunity to see the mechanics that created the magic is great.

I think that a lack of curiosity in a human is rather sad.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#38re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/28/08 at 12:48pm

No message. Sorry. Updated On: 12/28/08 at 12:48 PM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#39re: Backstage??
Posted: 12/28/08 at 12:58pm

I've been backstage a few times and I've never asked. I guess it's okay for some people to ask but I, personally, wouldn't ask. Not judging those who do - I just wouldn't do it myself.

Being backstage is a great experience for people really interested in theatre and what goes on behind the scenes.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Videos