pixeltracker

Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...- Page 2

Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#25re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/27/09 at 9:26pm

It would be brilliant if they release a cast recording. Thanks for sharing the news.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

barbl lyons
#26re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/27/09 at 11:41pm

I have heard the music is beautiful, so I'd love for it to be preserved. Hope it happens.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#27re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:14pm

It's been announced that PS Classics will be releasing this CD. No release date as yet.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#28re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:29pm

I haven't seen the show at all, nor heard its music. That being said, just by reading about it and the responses and the show's history...

It seems like it would have been a smarter move to have the show grow in popularity in the regional circuit and take the LONG, LONG road to Broadway. Let a bunch of major regionals do it, then make it available for licensing. If it becomes a hit, then they can build a strong buzz that this SHOW is coming to Broadway.

I don't see the reasoning behind coming to Broadway to begin with. Perhaps they hoped it would have caught on?

AND THAT being said...

Coming to Broadway and its fast exit could have been SMART (and perhaps intentional?). The buzz becomes "there's this show that opened on Broadway closed within like a week, but EVERYONE is saying how wonderful it is! We should check it out!" It's an interesting angle to look at it from, making a hit out of a flop. Hmm...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#29re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:34pm

Can there ever be a thread about cast recordings without theatre2 bringing up cry baby????

Excited for SOML! Great news!

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#30re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 2:52pm

Wow. News circulates fast around here...

Actor 7
#31re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 6:06pm

This is great news. P.S. Classics no doubt will do justice to the beautiful score of THE STORY OF MY LIFE. I can't wait to hear it. Thank you FrontRowCentre for this information. I was worried that it might not get an original cast recording. Now, it may very well get its' place in the sun and be produced by regional theatres.

Valjeanjolras Profile Photo
Valjeanjolras
#32re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 6:12pm

Thank God. I didnt get to see THE STORY OF MY LIFE but I love Malcolm Gets!!! I'm glad this piece will be immortalized via CD so that I can get to experience it, even though I didn't see it live. The cast album is such a great way to give long life to an otherwise temporary art form.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#33re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 3/2/09 at 6:50pm

Coming to Broadway and its fast exit could have been SMART (and perhaps intentional?). The buzz becomes "there's this show that opened on Broadway closed within like a week, but EVERYONE is saying how wonderful it is! We should check it out!" It's an interesting angle to look at it from, making a hit out of a flop. Hmm...

Ha ha, no.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos