pixeltracker

Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...

Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#1Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/23/09 at 11:31am

I don’t like to get anyone’s hopes up by posting false rumors, but I consider this a reliable source. It also explains WHY the producers elected to close the show quickly rather than keeping it going with the faint hope that it would find an audience.

It makes me think that with shows like this maybe the recording should be done first to get audiences familiar with a show not pre-sold by a previous movie version.

This from today's Peter Filichia's Diary.

It was last Saturday afternoon, 1:50 p.m. at the Booth Theatre, where I was sitting in my fourth row on the aisle seat. Suddenly a man came down that aisle and crouched next to me: Jack M. Dalgleish, one of the producers of The Story of My Life.

“Peter, thank you for coming,” he said solemnly, before adding that, yes, he and his co-producers were closing the new musical after a few performances. They felt that the money they hadn’t spent could be put to better use by making a cast album that could spur further productions; that would give the investors some return.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 2/23/09 at 11:31 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/23/09 at 11:39am

I am enjoying the demo and will buy the cast recording.

Just give the world Love.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/23/09 at 11:44am

Those of us who told you this information yesterday when you didn't want to believe it already knew.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
Actor 7
#4re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/23/09 at 2:06pm

This is great news. Thank you to FRONTROWCENTRE for making many people on the West Coast very happy with this news. I was so hoping there would be a complete recording of this beautiful score with Malcolm and Will and Jonathan Tunick's orchestrations.

Do you know if the complete 90 minutes show was taped or filmed? It would be really good news if they did this and would release it for sale. So many of us were sad to see this show close so quickly. I can see this show being done by regional theatre all over this country. I only wish I could have seen it with its' original Broadway cast at the Booth.

frontrowcentre2
#5re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/23/09 at 4:22pm

If by taped or filmed you mean for the Lncoln Centre archive, I did not hear anything about it being done so probably not.

Those of us who told you this information yesterday when you didn't want to believe it already knew.

It wasn't so much that I didn't believe, I just wanted an attributable source. NOW we have one. So many made up rumors get posted here by people who claim to have heard it from someone in the production but unless they name names it is often just a case of some ardent fan wishing it into existence.

But I am VERY glad to be proven wrong and will happily add the CD to my collection when it is released.

Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#6re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 6:29am

Me too. I love the music

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#7re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 7:58am

I really hope they make one! I would buy it.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#8re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 8:20am

I am going to have to agree with Jordan Catalano on this one by repeating his post
"Those of us who told you this information yesterday when you didn't want to believe it already knew."
hmmm, but you still have not named your "source"
ok, with my sarcasm out of the way, I want to add that I'm happy that it sounds like this Cast Recording will happen,,,,

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#9re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 8:30am

I don't care who broke this ground breaking news, I'm just glad it's being recorded! I saw the final performance, and was happy to still get the opening night Playbill. It was a gentle show, I enjoyed both portrayals and I thought the 90 minutes flew by. I actually had a better time during this than A Class Act, both with a trace or morbidity.

#10re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 10:43am

YAY! I'm so excited about this news!

Justin_Hall Profile Photo
Justin_Hall
#11re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 10:47am

I'm always happy when a show gets recorded. Even if I didn't like the show upon seeing it, I generally find something to love in the cast albums.

Any idea when it will be released?

Without the spice of guilt, sin cannot be fully savored. - Alexander Chase

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#12re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 10:51am

I would think that a Cast Recording should be part of the overall budget and planning when they put together a musical. Doesn't everyone think so? So, no matter how well or bad the show does, it leaves it's imprint. Maybe I can easily say this, because I'm a fan and not an investor lol

Justin_Hall Profile Photo
Justin_Hall
#13re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 12:05pm

I agree. It can be used as a marketing tool for future productions.

Without the spice of guilt, sin cannot be fully savored. - Alexander Chase

frontrowcentre2
#14re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 12:11pm

The model now is for producers to include a budget for a cast recording in their overall business plan. The decision to record a score isn't so much for archival purposes, but mainly to help promote a post-Broadway life. If the show is a dud, they can always cancel the recording.

As far as a source...I quote Peter Felicia's column:

"Jack M. Dalgleish, one of the producers of The Story of My Life.

“Peter, thank you for coming,” he said solemnly, before adding that, yes, he and his co-producers were closing the new musical after a few performances. They felt that the money they hadn’t spent could be put to better use by making a cast album that could spur further productions; that would give the investors some return."

So, the source is Jack Dalgleish.

Now this may be the journalist in me, but there IS a difference between you saying "I talked to the guy sitting next to me.." and saying "I talked to producer Jack Dalgleish." The reason? We can contact Jack and inquire about this. That is a verifiable source. Anything else is hearsay.

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#15re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 12:49pm

EVERYthing said by anyone here is hearsay. It's all just words. people use fake names and make up things and say what they want to say. Maybe I didn't use the guy's name, because he asked me not to. maybe I never went. I did, though lol
my point is...do I have a point? haha yeah, I do. My point would be that people say things here and should be just taken at that value.....we are not writing an article in the NY Times and are not held accountable if what we say is true or not....

theatre2
#16re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 3:09pm

if this show get a cast cd made then it is ok but cry baby andall the shows that did not get a cast cd should all get one.

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#17re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 3:11pm

I know. I am surprised that Cry Baby did not. It was around a little longer and had bigger names attached.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#18re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 3:49pm

I don't buy cast recordings like I used to, but I will definitely get the one from Story of My Life. I thought the performances were very good, but for some reason, I can't get this show out of my head. There are so many angles of this story that could have been explored and I feel that Broadway this time around was a bit premature.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Actor 7
#19re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 4:11pm

I hope they use the great musicians that made up the orchestra for its' all too brief run at The Booth Theatre. I wonder if they would be allowed to expand the number of musicians for the cast recording, as they sometimes do? I remember when Assassins was first recorded, they had a huge studio orchestra. I like both recordings of this show, as they each have their special values. I know the economics of adding some musicians will probably dictate all of this. Not that the orchestrations as they were used at the Booth Theatre were not brilliant. They were. At any rate, the news that an original cast recording with Malcolm and Will is such great news, I will purchase it as soon as it is available. Neil Bartram deserves a great deal of praise for his beautiful score. In time, I think many people will see how beautiful his compositions for this show really are.

Brick
#20re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 4:47pm

Those are some smart producers.

They were only going to lose more money if they stayed open. But a cast album not only can generate money through album sales - though very little - but it can perhaps inspire a future in regional and amateur.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#21re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 4:59pm

Wait a minute, am I to understand that they closed a flop show with money left over? Does that not sound a little suspicious?

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#22re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/24/09 at 5:31pm

Yeah, some REALLY SMART producers...

Brick, I think your username defines your intelligence!

LadyDramaturg2
#23re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/25/09 at 6:03pm

Rather have a closed show and a cast album than a show that limps to its death and no cast album.

Updated On: 2/25/09 at 06:03 PM

theatre2
#24re: Looks like STORY OF MY LIFE will get a cast album after all...
Posted: 2/25/09 at 9:01pm

yes that is why they should have made a cast cd of cry baby.

Videos