News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 20

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#4752007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:38pm

I would LOVE to see Block receive a nomination, but not over Chenoweth.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#4762007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:45pm

Let's face facts here: Chenoweth got practically across the board rave reviews for her performance in The Apple Tree. It will be shocking if she doesn't receive a nomination.

We have yet to read critics reviews for Monk, Block, Murphy and McDonald. We'll know more in a month (when we have at least seen all of the performances). I don't think Audra's official reviews come out until May 9th and 10th though (the show opens on the 9th).

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#4772007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:48pm

jrb darling, I wasn't dismissing Foster, I was simply stating the facts...Block was good, Chenoweth didn't give a good performance when I saw her. I found her irritating. See I have an opinion too, but I am not asking for everyone to agree with it. I am just stating it.

Also...
you should know that the boy sees a lot of theatre and does indeed have a valid, respectable POV.
Considering I have seen every Broadway production this year and all but 5 productions in the last 3 years total, I'd say I have a valid POV too. Cheers. 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#4782007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:53pm

And I wasn't even referring to you...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#4792007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/14/07 at 12:55pm

Oh, ok. My bad.

spell7107 Profile Photo
spell7107
#4802007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/21/07 at 4:51pm

Stephanie J. Block, The Pirate Queen
Kristin Chenoweth, The Apple Tree
Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens
Audra McDonald, 110 in the Shade
Lea Michele, Spring Awakening

If one of these ladies isn't nominated, then Laura Bell Bundy will be up for Legally Blonde

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4812007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/21/07 at 5:44pm

Spell7107, what about Donna Murphy or Debra Monk?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

whim of a wave
#4822007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 3/21/07 at 6:06pm

There are just too many talented women this year! If you put any one of these women in contention in other years they would certainly be nominated...if not win. It's wonderful to see so much talent on the stage this year!

Wanna Be A Foster
#4832007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:53am

I saw CURTAINS last week and LEGALLY BLONDE last night.

Unfortunately for Debra Monk, in my opinion (and Rath is going to tear my head off for this), her role is not substantial enough to warrant a nomination for Best Leading Actress in such a tight season -- Featured Actress in a Play past Tony Winner or not. Her character is the most underwritten principal in the show, and while she does her best to rip into those one liners, I just don't think that will be enough to knock out any of the other contenders that are given much more to do with their roles.

Laura Bell Bundy just doesn't have what it takes to win a spot from the more serious contenders this season. I would place her performance in the same spot as Ashley Brown's. She puts her all into it, but it's just not enough of a well-written role to make it into the category in this tight season, in my opinion.

Stephanie J. Block will unfortunately be one of the casualties that sinks along with the entire PIRATE QUEEN empire, regardless of whether she can belt those generic lyrics to rehashed tunes. Her character is so uneven that her journey is non-existent in this mess of a show, in my opinion.

I have yet to see 110 IN THE SHADE and LOVEMUSIK, obviously, but from Murphy and McDonald's past history of wins and raves, I'd say the field is mostly clear now:

Christine Ebersole, GREY GARDENS
Kristin Chenoweth, THE APPLE TREE
Lea Michele, SPRING AWAKENING
Audra McDonald, 110 IN THE SHADE
Donna Murphy, LOVEMUSIK

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 10:53 AM

Bwaydreams01
#4842007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:59am

Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens *****
Laura Bell Bundy, Legally Blonde
Donna Murphy, LoveMusik
Audra McDonald, 110 in the Shade
Kristin Chenoweth, The Apple Tree

I would say that Debra Monk is a possibility, just not sure if she really belongs in the Lead category

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4852007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:05am

I do believe Monk will be nominated in the lead category - critics and audiences alike are going gaga over her performance (except Brantley, but he had to save his energy for the blonde ingenue, as usual), and we know the producers can't try to sneak her in as Featured in such a loaded year. Not to mention, they won't want her and Ziemba in competition.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Wanna Be A Foster
#4862007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:09am

Audiences going gaga over her standing stage right, watching for most of the show? They might as well give her an EZ Chair to sit in and they can roll her on every so often for her one liners and roll her back off to let the actual action of the show continue.

-Kad

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4872007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:10am

I don't know what show you saw.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

VIETgrlTerifa
#4882007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:10am

Does Brantley go ga-ga over every blonde ingenue, or is it just Chenoweth that makes people roll their eyes?

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4892007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:15am

If this is the post to which you're referring, Viet:

"I do believe Monk will be nominated in the lead category - critics and audiences alike are going gaga over her performance (except Brantley, but he had to save his energy for the blonde ingenue, as usual),"

Chenoweth isn't in CURTAINS, so the answer to your question is yes, and no.

Updated On: 4/4/07 at 11:15 AM

VIETgrlTerifa
#4902007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:17am

Oh ok, I was confused as who you were referring to. I didn't know that your post was strictly about Curtains. I always hear Brantley's reviews over Chenoweth being disregarded because they feel that he'll love whatever she does.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4912007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:19am

He seems to have a fixation with blonde ingenues.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#4922007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 4:34pm

Bwaydreams01, I think your choices are the best I've seen and those seem more accurate for the Tony Awards...I just can't picture Lea Michelle getting a slot over Laura Bell Bundy only that when I hear Legally Blonde the first thing I think of is Laura Bell Bundy because she is the title role, when I hear Spring Awakening, Lea Michelle isn't the first thing that comes to mind...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#4932007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 4:39pm

Does anyone know what Monk has been ruled featured or leading by the Tony Committee.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4942007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 4:57pm

She'll be "ruled" leading, as that is how the producers will submit her. She's above the title, and she's a lead. The Tony committee has rarely not accepted the producers' decision.

wonderfulwizard11
#4952007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 5:03pm

Ok, thanks.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#4962007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:37pm

FutureAladdin playing Elle Woods doesn't warrant Laura a tony nomination.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#4972007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:40pm

I know that, but she gets more recognition than Lea Michelle does so I'm only predicting that if it was between laura and Michelle, that they would pick Laura

wonderfulwizard11
#4982007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:44pm

"but she gets more recognition than Lea Michelle "

Huh? LBB's show hasn't even opened yet.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#4992007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:45pm

Well with previews in NY and in SF she's gotten recognition..

Videos