News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 22

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#5252007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:00pm

Nick, I just had to say you avatar is hilarious.

Again, I doubt she will a nod but has better material to work with then Bundy in my opinion. A lead role does automatically merit good material. Sure its a lead but I don't think her type of roles compares with Ebersoles or a few other locks.

SPRING AWAKENING SPOLIER

Aladdin, Lea has a beating scene,sex scene, and death to work with. She also has another great scene and song to work with that is a little hard to describe. I don't think Elle Woods goes that deep at all.

Updated On: 4/4/07 at 11:00 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5262007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:01pm

I don't think Michele or Bundy will be nominated.

And Nick, you avatar is indeed hilarious.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#5272007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:05pm

While depth certainly plays a part in it...how can you judge Bundy or her part compared to Michele?

Bundy literally CARRIES her show. There's a lot more riding on her shoulders to perform than there is on Michele. Bundy almost never leaves the stage. Not that the show is bad, by "carry" I mean the show revolves around her. Elle Woods is an iconic character, recognized by teen girls almost everywhere in this country. Bundy has a lot more work to do in order to separate herself from Reese Witherspoon. And Bundy definitely makes the character her own.

If you asked me who should be nominated between Bundy or Michele...I would say Bundy. While I do love Michele's voice and performance, Bundy just commands the stage as Elle. And it's unfair to say her part is shallow and has no depth. Not even in the movie does Elle Woods come off as shallow. She is equally as friendly to everyone. While she may be a ditz at times she is NEVER rude to anyone and is an always welcoming persona. The character goes through a great personal journey and change during the show and in the movie.

Bundy is a lock, IMO.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 11:05 PM

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5282007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:07pm

FOAnatic, thank you for describing what I could not put into words!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5292007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 12:29am

Elle Woods is an iconic character, recognized by teen girls almost everywhere in this country.

Well it's a good thing that the Nominating Committee isn't made up of teen girls anywhere in this country.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#5302007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 12:39am

Let's get one thing straight, Bundy is NOT the "title character" as is repeatedly being thrown about here. The show is called "LEGALLY BLONDE" not Elle Woods. Heather Headley was the "title character" as the show was called AIDA! Now that that's settled, I don't think Bundy stands a chance in a season this packed with Leading lady contenders and who they are. I also think Lea Michele is doing a far more difficult role than Bundy. Again, this is MY opinion, the nominating committee never has rhyme or reason behind what they do, so they could go to anyone. Don't count Block out just yet.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#5312007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 12:57am

thank you foster. I'm sure Bundy is amazing but I'm sure that there is no way that the role is not as demanding or as emotionally taxing as Michele's

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5322007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 1:04am

Either way I am still praying for Bundy no matter what and I wish her the best!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5332007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 1:19am

The first noms of the season have arrived.
Lucille Lortell, which are for Off-Broadway and no one from SPRING AWAKINING got an acting nom.
I know it's a lesser award considering Broadway, but it may be a harbinger.
(I think Gallagher jr. is the only chance for an acting TONY nom)
This Leading Lady category is just too damned crowded.
I would not have even considered Bundy till I saw her and she does indeed carry the show.
How 'bout:

Ebersole
Bundy
Murphy
Block
McDonald

I Love me some Munk, but she may be overlooked.
Cheno, I believe should not get a nom this year.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#5342007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 1:32am

Despite whether or not Block's performance is great, the fact that she's in a show that very well could flop won't help her chances.

My guesses...

Ebersole
McDonald
Chenoweth
Murphy
Bundy

Curtain, did you SEE Chenoweth's reviews for Apple Tree? There's NO WAY she's not getting a nom. The combo of her big name and her great reviews basically gurantees her a spot.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5352007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 1:38am

Yes I read her reviews
But I also saw her performance and it was just her old tricks,
nothing new.
I think she is very talented, but in this case, the show came and went and I know the critics love her but they are not the nominating commitee.
And Block is just too amazing to be ignored.
Again, my opinion.
And THE PIRATE QUEEN will run, make it's money back on Broadway, who knows?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5362007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 1:49am

The first noms of the season have arrived.
Lucille Lortell, which are for Off-Broadway and no one from SPRING AWAKINING got an acting nom.

It's Lucille Lortel, and plays and musicals are combined in the acting categories for the Lortel Awards, which makes it much more crowded than the pool of Broadway contenders for the Tonys.

Cheno, I believe should not get a nom this year.

If I had a penny for the number of threads in which you've made it known that you didn't like Chenoweth's performance in THE APPLE TREE and a nickel for the number of times you sang praises for THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN', I would be a very rich man and your credibility would be in the garbage.

Well, I guess I'll have to settle for 1 out of 2.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 01:49 AM

Yankeefan007
#5372007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 7:37am

I loved Chenoweth in The Apple Tree....but having seen nearly all of the others (Bundy and Murphy in the near future), she doesn't have the lock that she had back in November.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#5382007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:43am

thank you foster. I'm sure Bundy is amazing but I'm sure that there is no way that the role is not as demanding or as emotionally taxing as Michele's

How would you know? I love that people are judging Bundy's work load because she's playing a ditzy blonde instead of a young vulnerable teen.

Just because she doesn't get beaten and have sex on stage doesn't mean her role isn't equally as demanding or emotionally taxing. It is certainly physically demanding, that's for sure. And as far as emotionally goes, the girl has to go through a difficult journey and prove to the audience that she's not the girl she started out as. Sounds pretty emotionally taxing to me.

Let's get one thing straight, Bundy is NOT the "title character" as is repeatedly being thrown about here. The show is called "LEGALLY BLONDE" not Elle Woods. Heather Headley was the "title character" as the show was called AIDA!

You're simply splitting hairs. I don't care if it's called Elle Woods or not. The girl is their damn advertising campaign for goodness sake. She IS the show. It revolves around her. Title character or not.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 09:43 AM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#5392007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 9:46am

LBB was excellent last night...I have no idea if it will merit a nomination or not, but it will be interesting to see how she and the show is reviewed. I really liked it (Act 2 a lot more) and will definitely be going back sometime before opening night.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#5402007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:06am

are you serious FOA??

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#5412007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:16am

Yes, gust.

First off, I'm sure you haven't seen it.

Secondly, from your avatar it's obvious you're an SA fan who's unable to admit anything is better than that show. I like SA, but I'm also not wearing blinders.

I saw LB and I can attest to the fact that Bundy is working her butt off up there in a VERY demanding part. Both physically and emotionally taxing.

Michele does a wonderful job but she's hardly a lead. The nominating committee did her a disservice by placing her in that category because she just doesn't live up to the competition.

I can also say that if LB scores a Best Musical nom, it will most likely win. It's a touring producer's dream.

Yankeefan007
#5422007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:18am

I'm going to agree with Foa on this one.

Both roles are taxing on the performers, hell, all roles are.

Bundy as Elle is indeed the centerpiece of Legally Blonde: the star, the advertising campaign....the show does indeed revolve around her, the same way Pirate Queen revolves around Grania, 110 revolves around Lizzie, Grey Gardens revolves Edie....

Say what you want, Spring Awakening does not revolve completely around Wendla. She is a very important character in the show, don't get me wrong, but it's not in the same universe as the three aforementioned.

That's the problem with Spring Awakening - it's an ensemble show where the producers have screwed over the two leads by petitioning them into the wrong category. They all could have serious chances at getting nominations and maybe even winning....if they were considered to be featured. In such an immensly crowded year, it's the longest of all the long shots.

My $0.02. Updated On: 4/5/07 at 10:18 AM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#5432007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:25am

I haven't seen LB yet, but I've seen the movie and I agree with Foa about the character of Elle. It is a taxing role, although in a different way then Wendla. Lea is wonderful, but I wouldn't discount the possibility that she might now get a nomination.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

buddharich
#5442007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:40am

I think the final 5 are going to be:

Kristin Chenoweth, The Apple Tree
Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens
Lea Michele, Spring Awakening
Audra McDonald, 110 In The Shade
Donna Murphy, Lovemusik

It's interesting this year, because in almost all of the categories there are going to be big "snubs" - there are simply more than 5 possible nominees in almost all of the categories...

Who is on the tony nominating committee this year?

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#5452007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:46am

^ I agree, except I think that LBB has gotta fit there somewhere.

The Best of Times is Now!

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#5462007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:48am

Yes, she'll be in Michele's spot.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#5472007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:59am

I haven't seen LB yet and I'm 100% that LBB is more than amazing in the role and never in any way would I want to suggest otherwise. I'm quite excited to see the show and specifically LBB, I'm a big fan. I also agree that Elle is the center of that entire show and carries it. She probably makes the show. I know that Wendla is a supporting character (trust me I was praying Michele would be graced with being put in the supporting category)
Obviously I'm a huge fan of the show but by no means do I want you associating me with the gobbs of other teeny bopper fans who think that the show is the best thing in the world. I'm not. I don't have any blinders either. I know that there is a huge chance that Michele won't be nominated and I'm preparing myself for it (lol)
I just figured that it would come down to:
Ebersole
McDonald
Murphy
Chenoweth
Monk
that's what I've been preparing for. I just was suprised (albeit pleasant) that LB is getting all this buzz.
Now where I disagree and I acknowledge I'm probably not in a place to say this b/c i have yet to see it, that Michele deserves it over Bundy. It's the age old argument and you see it at every award ceremony. Was Bridget Jones are more demanding role than Halle Berry in Monster's Ball (I'm not saying that Wendla is on the same level but I'm hoping you catch my meaning) I'm just defending my girl Lea Michele because I feel like her performance has grown so much and that she really is stunning in her performance. As someone who has seen the show more times than I want to admit I can assure that she has grown significantly in the role and has stepped up from a supporting character to a leading lady (in my opinion) the show doesn't revolve around her but her performance is worth being in leading categories. She puts everything and then more into each performance (as I'm sure LBB does!) and for being only 20 she captures the audience with power that some actresses never acheive ...now I could go on but it's been said before and we each have our own opinions and that's great. All I'm saying is that it will be very sad if her performance (or Groffs for that matter) go unrecognized. I know it's a tight year but she deserves a nod. But we shall see...
I apologize btw if I was a bit catty earlier...i didn't have my morning coffee

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#5482007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 11:02am

If you haven't seen Legally Blonde, who are you to decide who "deserves" the nomination over the other? I don't know either way as I haven't seen it either, but I don't feel you have a very good argument. Yes, Lea is fantastic. We get that.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#5492007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 11:03am

Gustof, that probably will be it. Those five ladies are probably what it will end up being but, if Chenoweth isn't there, who will take her spot? I think this is what might make people argue.

Videos