pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 24

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5752007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:30pm

Please share!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5762007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:32pm

Look WBAF, I don't know why you think you know everything there is to know about Broadway.

That's just my point. I DON'T know everything there is to know about Broadway, and I have never claimed to. But I can read. I would say off the top of my head that you have professed your eternal love for Debra Monk several dozen times on the board.

You've worked on Tony-winning shows. Congratulations. Does that make you any more human than any other poster on this board? If you think that people are going to treat you like a God because you repeat over and over that you know the industry inside and out yet disregard your posts that state you want certain actresses to ask you out on a date, then you're wrong. If you know the industry inside and out, SHOW it. Don't TELL it. Every person on this board is an equal. Many posters have much more information to dispense about the history of Broadway, and we are grateful to learn about it because we all love Broadway, but you can't pick and choose which of the things that you write that people can and cannot call you out on. Once you post it, you stand by what you post. And my statement was based on your numerous posts proclaiming your eternal love for one actress who, on the "professional" side of things, you just happen to think is the best performer in the business. You can't expect people not to draw a correlation between the two just because you work in the industry.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#5762007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:38pm

I honestly cannot tell you who the "other" nominees should be because I have yet to see all the possibilities. There is no question--in my mind--that Christine Ebersole will be nominated though.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5772007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:42pm

"Does that make you any more human than any other poster on this board? If you think that people are going to treat you like a God because you repeat over and over that you know the industry inside and out yet disregard your posts that state you want certain actresses to ask you out on a date, then you're wrong."

Not at all. I hate bringing it up, but you pushed me into it with your bizarre post. All I'm trying to prove is that I know what I'm talking about - I'm not screaming that Monk should be nominated when she's giving a poor performance. I'm mentioning it on a post about nominees because I believe she deserves to be on the list. Not because I think she's hot. But because I know whereof I speak.

I'm not addressing this with you again. I'm done.

Back to the thread. And Penny, your last statement is correct.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

SorryGrateful
#5782007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:47pm

Bravo, Rath.

Foster, I've never seen or heard Rath bring up her history with theatre in a way that is meant to be condescending to anyone else. In fact, I rarely hear her bring it up at all. She also never attacked you on this thread. You were the one who jumped on her about her personal feelings, which she, like a proper theatregoer, is able to separate from professional feelings. It's called objectivity.

I wouldn't pursue this any farther.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

SorryGrateful
#5792007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:52pm

Now, in reference to this actual thread, I do hope Ebersole wins. Granted, I haven't nor will I be able to see any of the other nominees (woe is me!), but I was truly struck by Ebersole's performance in the second act of Grey Gardens. As she sang "Around the World," I thought my heart would deflate with sorrow.

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#5802007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:54pm

I'm curious about Curtains. Is Monk considered Leading while Ziemba is supporting? And how is that decided? I really enjoyed the show but didn't think that Monk was stand out in it. I did however think that Ziemba gave a wonderful performance.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#5812007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:54pm

Bravo, Sorry Grateful. Beautifully put.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5822007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 2:56pm

Monk is considered Leading, Ziemba is Featured.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#5832007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 3:49pm

I do believe that Christine Ebersole's is the performance to beat though!

Awards are tricky. There is not a standardized scale by which performances are measured. The "winning" performances tend to be the best match of talent and role (or so one would imagine). That is why Ms. Ebersole's role in GREY GARDENS is so compelling. Hers are wonderfully written parts and she is brilliant in them. I'm not so sure that any if the other characters--even those I have not yet seen performed--will offer the women playing them such a magnificent opportunity.

I really enjoyed Debra Monk in CURTAINS, but her role doesn't compare to the characters of Big and Little Edie Beale. I mean, how many can????

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#5842007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 3:54pm

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a HUGE supporter of Lea and Spring Awakening. I think the show is incredible and Lea is absolutely fabulous. That being said, I think her chances of a nomination are very slim. I would love to see her nominated and win, but I just don't think it's going to happen. The category is extremely crowded this year and there are a lot of seasoned veterans who will take the spots. Now I haven't seen Legally Blonde, but I know that Laura Bell Bundy basically carries the whole show. Without her, it's nothing. For that she will probably be nominated. And I think Christine Ebersole is an obvious shoo-in and she will most likely win. I think Spring Awakening is currently the best show on Broadway, but it is an ensemble piece. That and the fact that the category is so crowded makes me doubt that Lea will get a nomination. Again, I would love to see it happen but I'm not sure if it will.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5862007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 3:57pm

Before who got fired, dear?

Careful, now.

Mamamia Sammy2 Profile Photo
Mamamia Sammy2
#5872007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 4:02pm

Oh please, dear. You've been fired from almost every job you had in the theatre industry.

When no one would hire you anymore you "decided" to become an actress.

And I use the word "actress" loosely.

"I knew this was probably going to happen." - Rathnait62

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#5882007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 4:04pm

Monk is considered Leading, Ziemba is Featured.

Wonderfulwizard- Thanks...but I also am really am curious as to why? To me it doesn't feel as if one has a bigger role than the other and therefore it confuses me.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5892007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 4:04pm

Darling, I was out of the theater industry and into the corporate world for years before I "decided" to become an actress.

I know you think you know my entire life, but really, we worked on one job together. Get over it.

Mamamia Sammy2 Profile Photo
Mamamia Sammy2
#5902007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 4:06pm

Or have we?

"I knew this was probably going to happen." - Rathnait62

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5912007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 4:07pm

Monk is above the title. Therefore, unless the producers petition to have her considered Featured, she is Lead. I would assume she is staying as a lead is because the producers don't want her and Ziemba in the same category. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

MargoChanning
#5922007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 4:24pm

Category determination isn't always logical in the grand sense, but realize that producers generally will do anything possible to maximize the number of nominations their shows can receive. The producers of CURTAINS probably feel that by keeping Monk as Lead (which her above-the-title billing would indicate) and Ziemba as Featured gives them a better chance of scoring BOTH ladies nominations than having them both up for Featured and trying to get two slots in a very crowded category, where one might hurt the other's chances or perhaps both would cancel each other out. While perhaps Monk's role isn't as large as some of the other contenders in the Lead category, her role is very flashy and scene-stealing and as a previous winner, she very well has a shot at a nod. This sort of strategy has paid off in the past with other shows and we'll see soon enough if it works this time and both Monk and Ziemba end up with nominations.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 04:24 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#5932007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 4:36pm

Okay, first of all. Can we stop doing the whole Rath-bashing act? It really gets in the way of a pretty long thread. If anyone has personal issues with her, use private messages. Rath, tends to be rather respectful and if anything, I'm just content she cheers for someone as talented, hilarous, and top-notch as Monk.
And yes, I do believe Monk deserve a nomination. Her role might not be Little Edie or Lizzie or Elle Woods, whatever. She stops the show with her major number, her one-liners are brilliantly delivered, and she knows her character inside out. That's probably what the committee will be looking at when considering her nomination. I rather nominate someone who understands her character--regardless of size role--than someone who is supposed to "carry" the show but doesn't deliver enough.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#5942007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 4:38pm

Are you saying Laura doesn't deliver enough? D:<
Updated On: 4/5/07 at 04:38 PM

SorryGrateful
#5952007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 4:43pm

Thank you, ray. Nicely said.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#5962007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 5:00pm

No matter who we may individually want to win, I think we all know it's Ebersole's
She has gotten raves across the boards, she's due, and it's an amazing role.
That's not saying everyone else isn't as good, but Ebersole and Wilson are pretty much a lock.
As far as Rath is concerned, why do you scoff at her experience? She knows a lot more than me, and I'm sure than most of us. She wasn't picking a fight, just stating an opinion. Repsect one another.

....but the world goes 'round

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#5972007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 5:12pm

I'm not exactly sure if she's "due" for an award. She won a Tony in this category for 42nd Street six years ago.

~Steven

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#5982007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 5:17pm

good point. Well that throws my whole rationale out the window!
Still, I think she will win.

....but the world goes 'round

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#5992007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders?
Posted: 4/5/07 at 5:29pm

Christine Ebersole will win.

Her perf is touched with comic genius touched by a tear.

If you look at the Tony history there are times when someone wins more than one award within a short period time.

Didn't Zero Mostel win THREE awards within four years for RHINOCEROS, FORUM, and FIDDLER.

Donna Murphy won two awards within 5 or 6 years apart: PASSION and THE KING AND I.

I also think Mary Louise Wilson is a lock to win in supporting.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

Videos