pixeltracker

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018- Page 25

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018

JIMG3
#600Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 10:24pm

A Keen observation on your part.  I wasn't suggesting Watanabe was a complete unknown, but the audiences I observed night after night, were clearly there to see Kelli O'Hara, regardless of their ethnicity. The tantrums many of them had when she was out, were even more telling. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#601Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 10:40pm

I just need a name y’all. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#602Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/11/17 at 10:44pm

hork said: "Peter Dinklage should play Higgins. Of course, Peter Dinklage should play everything."

THIS

orlikethecolorpurple
#603Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 12:41am

hork said: "Peter Dinklage should play Higgins. Of course, Peter Dinklage should play everything."

Oh. My. God. Inspired choice.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#604Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 12:53am

I love Peter Dinklage and think he'd be a great choice acting wise. However...that British accent of his on GoT is...not the best IMO. I'd prefer to have a Higgins who is either actually British, or can do a convincing accent. 

That said, I'm dying to see Dinklage back on the stage. He was excellent in A Month in the Country at CSC. 

ohhiccup 2
#605Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 2:34am

I've never thought of 'I Could Have Danced All Night' as a romantic song, more Eliza being ecstatic that she's finally gotten somewhere with her lessons and being proud of herself. 

VintageSnarker
#606Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 4:02am

GeorgeandDot said: "I'm confused, did Rex Harrison not play Higgins as a homosexual bratty man-child?

Honestly, I would love to see a radically re-imagined Higgins, especially one that would eliminate any sort of romance between him and Eliza. I've always thought that it was a huge mistake to try to portray MFL as almost a romantic comedy between the two leads.
"

No?

I've been watching a lot of 30 Rock lately. It's not a perfect analogy but I'd say it's more of a Jack Donaghy/Liz Lemon thing. It's not romantic but there's a tension there and different power dynamics at work having a straight man and woman. Though sexual orientation aside, I don't even like the idea of playing up the man-child angle too much. He's arrogant and petulant but more in the way of a man born to privilege than today's current idea of bratty, childish behavior. Very Frasier, which makes me think Kelsey Grammer was probably good in that concert with Kelli O'Hara. 

@henrik I would say, no. In Pygmalion I did not feel like Higgins fell in love with Eliza. The movie version of the musical does imply it. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#607Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 11:06am

pupscotch said: "Danny is my ONLY choice for Alfred. Honestly, I figured it was a sure thing. He's a Sher favorite, and absolutely perfect for this role. That's why I hoped that they'd cast a young Eliza (Ashley Park in my ideal world), but he'd still be perfect."

Please keep in mind that Danny Burstein is only 16 years younger than Bernadette Peters, yet they still played husband and wife in Follies.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#608Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 2:18pm

I've been watching a lot of 30 Rock lately. It's not a perfect analogy but I'd say it's more of a Jack Donaghy/Liz Lemon thing. It's not romantic but there's a tension there and different power dynamics at work having a straight man and woman. Though sexual orientation aside, I don't even like the idea of playing up the man-child angle too much. He's arrogant and petulant but more in the way of a man born to privilege than today's current idea of bratty, childish behavior. Very Frasier, which makes me think Kelsey Grammer was probably good in that concert with Kelli O'Hara.

Good comparison with 30 Rock and Frasier. I think there are some similarities between Jack and Liz and Higgins and Eliza, although it's more like, what if half way through the series they started to develop some weird crush on each other that they don't want to admit even to themselves.

And speaking of Frasier, since Higgins is in many ways just Frasier (on his worst behavior) in Edwardian England, Kelsey Grammar would probably be fine, and fulfill the name recognition their looking for.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#609Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 2:28pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Good comparison with30 Rockand Frasier.I think there are some similarities between Jack and Liz and Higgins and Eliza, although it's more like, what if half way through the series they started to develop some weird crush on each other that they don't want to admit even to themselves."

Well said.  

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#610Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 3:21pm

Not a mega star, but what about David Hyde Pierce for Higgins? He could go from one hit musical revival to the next. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#611Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 3:29pm

We need a 100 post thread titled "Higgins? - My Fair Lady Revival 2008". You guys have gone from naming every 20-mid 40s female actresses to 40-80 male actors, and the cycle continues. None of this impacts what Sher's going to do lol. Let's just wait and watch. And complain.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JIMG3
#612Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 4:01pm

Valentina3 said: "We need a 100 post thread titled "Higgins? - My Fair Lady Revival 2008". You guys have gone from naming every 20-mid 40s female actresses to 40-80 male actors, and the cycle continues. None of this impacts what Sher's going to do lol. Let's just wait and watch. And complain."

Count me in!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#613Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 5:15pm

I'm currently watching today's episode of Broadway.com's Live at Five, and Paul Wontorek just mentioned that they already know the casting for My Fair Lady, they're just not allowed to say who yet.

Updated On: 9/12/17 at 05:15 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#614Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 5:25pm

It's probably Ambrose.  Apparently the press already knows about her, but they can't announce it until they have a Higgins.

JIMG3
#615Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/12/17 at 6:50pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "I'm currently watching today's episode of Broadway.com's Live at Five, and Paul Wontorek just mentioned that they already know the casting forMy Fair Lady, they're just not allowed to say who yet."

I've just watched it. You have to love how he just flippantly tosses it off. "Oh that, yeah we already know". As if it's old news to him. I was waiting for him to stick his tongue out and say "nyeah, nyeah". 

Updated On: 9/12/17 at 06:50 PM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#616Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/15/17 at 3:32pm

Is it "next Monday" yet?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#617Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/15/17 at 3:41pm

Valentina3 said: "Is it "next Monday" yet?"

I had the same thought this morning. This wait is unbelievable. 

JIMG3
#618Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/15/17 at 4:48pm

If they're trying to create a sense of anticipation and suspense, they've succeeded! Oy!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#619Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/16/17 at 12:52am

I was in a production of "My Fair Lady" over the summer and I'm SO curious to see an actual thought-out production. I don't get it. Are we suppose to feel like Higgins and Eliza are going to..be something? Or are they just friends? And if they're just friends, then why do we care so much? I don't understand what the dramatic tension is of the show? 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#620Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/16/17 at 4:29am

Ambrose was announced on TV 3 Weeks ago!!!!! When Ken left King an I sales dipped only to rise after his brief return. He had huge international appeal with the tourists.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#621Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/16/17 at 7:20am

RippedMan said: "I was in a production of "My Fair Lady" over the summer and I'm SO curious to see an actual thought-out production. I don't get it. Are we suppose to feel like Higgins and Eliza are going to..be something? Or are they just friends? And if they're just friends, then why do we care so much? I don't understand what the dramatic tension is of the show?"

The ambiguity af the final curtain of MY FAIR LADY or the uncertainty some of us (and clearly you and I) might have that there's any amorous possibility for Eliza and Henry going forward - or whether there is only for the first time a potential truer friendship -  makes MY FAIR LADY no less dramatically compelling.  

For me, it makes the show much more dramatically flavorful - not less.  And quite deliciously so.

Updated On: 9/16/17 at 07:20 AM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#622Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/16/17 at 8:41am

RippedMan said: "I was in a production of "My Fair Lady" over the summer and I'm SO curious to see an actual thought-out production. I don't get it. Are we suppose to feel like Higgins and Eliza are going to..be something? Or are they just friends? And if they're just friends, then why do we care so much? I don't understand what the dramatic tension is of the show?"

That's exactly the dramatic tension -- the ambiguity. And Higgins is shocked that something he feels like he "created" turns out to be a flesh and blood person. Higgins has transformed this "guttersnipe" into a beautiful elegant society lady and neither Eliza nor Higgins know what to do after the ball. There's feelings neither of them can articulate. And that ambiguity is still there at the final curtain because really, there's no easy answers to the dilemma. That's why I love the ending. It hints at something to come (maybe???) but the audience has to sort of finish the story themselves.

Sammyria
#623Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/16/17 at 9:13am

I've only ever seen My Fair Lady on the screen as it's not been staged here in forever, but I couldn't pass up seeing Pygmalion when it was at the Chichester Festival Theatre as the next best thing. I loved it, but the only thing I didn't like about it was the ending. The ambiguity of it is gone- and I know that this was Shaw's doing but that doesn't mean that it's for the better. The only question left of this version was really whether Eliza really did marry Freddie, or if Higgins was imagining it.

I think the ending of the movie is perfect. It restores some form of relationship between Eliza and Higgins the nature of which is left up to interpretation. It shows the growth of Higgin's character, admitting, at least to himself that he holds some sort of affection for Eliza, whether that is love of a romantic, platonic or paternal nature is questionable. I think the same can be said for Eliza, she has some feelings for him but their nature is far from clear. Take the passage below, she states that they are not of a romantic nature, however do we take this at face value or is she too not expressing the full extent of her feelings out of stubbornness.

Higgins:         ...Would you rather marry Pickering?

Eliza:                I wouldn't marry you if you asked me and you're nearer my age then what he is.

Higgins:           -Than he is.

Eliza:                I'll talk as I like, you're not my teacher. That's not what I want and don't you think it is. I've always had chaps enough wanting me that way. Freddy Hill writes me twice and three times a day. Sheets and sheets.

Higgins:           In short, you want me to be as infatuated about you as he is, is that it?

Eliza:                No, I don't. That's not the sort of feeling I want from you. I want a little kindness. I know I'm a common, ignorant girl, and you're a book-learned gentleman......but I'm not dirt under your feet. What I done...what I did was not for the taxis and the dresses but because we were pleasant together…and I come to...came......to care for you. Not to want you to make love to me......and not forgetting the difference between us, but......more friendly like.

Higgins:           Well, of course. That's how I feel… And how Pickering feels.

Speaking of Pygmalion, and back to the topic of the casting, Rupert Everett made a good Higgins, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him in the musical. I also think if we've got to go for an American then Kelsey Grammer would be a good choice though I hope his english accent would be better than in Breaking the Bank. RDJ would be really interesting but I can't see it realistically. Kevin Kline could also be good after his turn in Beauty and the Beast.

Until there is an official announcement I will continue to hold out hope for a big English star like Colin- my mum would die-, Hugh Laurie or Hugh Grant. I heard good things about Dominic West's turn in Sheffield a few years ago.

As for Eliza, I'm slightly less concerned, Honeysuckle Weeks took on the part in Pygmalion before Kara Tointon both of whom I wouldn't mind, but whilst their acting skills are proven in the part I don't know about their singing. I do feel like there should be a decent age gap between the two characters (if not necessarily the actors),  leading men of the time were paired with women much younger than them, and it adds to the ambiguity of the relationship. 

At this point I've convinced myself to fly across the Atlantic to see the show regardless, but I would really love to see a big name take on Higgins.

smidge
#624Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 9/16/17 at 11:41am

SmoothLover said: "Ambrose was announced on TV 3 Weeks ago!!!!! When Ken left King an I sales dipped only to rise after his brief return. He had huge international appeal with the tourists."

Although everyone believes (or knows) she has been cast, there has been no official announcement of the casting of MFL. Television or otherwise.

Videos