pixeltracker

ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company- Page 3

ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#50ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/8/14 at 11:01pm

Thanks for the hint! "Actor Muso" is probably a better term than "Doylian" or "Doyle staging."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#51ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/12/14 at 1:49pm

According to this interview, CSC gave Doyle freedom to choose a show, and he chose Allegro:

http://92yondemand.org/rodgers-hammersteins-allegro-conversation-performance/

A work of art is an invitation to love.

neonlightsxo
#52ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/12/14 at 2:00pm

I saw the Astoria production and the CSC production over the weekend. I hate what John Doyle did to it. He made a ton of cuts and I wish he hadn't touched it.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#53ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/12/14 at 2:55pm

I was hoping to finally see the whole story with the context for the studio recording that i have, and I was very disappointed that they cut so much of it. I don't understand why they are even allowed to market it as "Allegro" and not "scenes from Allegro" or "excerpts from Allegro" or something similar. If i had known when i bought the ticket that it would only be part of the show, I would have used that time slot to see something else that i didn't have a chance to see. Why is it not required to announce when a production is only a partial production of the show that they are advertising?

neonlightsxo
#54ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/12/14 at 3:03pm

Great question. Not only did I find the cuts unhelpful in the storytelling, but considering we so rarely see Allegro, why not do the whole thing?

These cuts were obviously approved, but I'm not sure how.

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#56ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/13/14 at 4:52pm

This is probably as close as we are ever going to get to seeing how the original ALLEGRO looked, with a large Greek chorus. I wonder if this is the original Agnes DeMille choreography.
Allegro on TV

Wilmingtom
#57ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/13/14 at 9:13pm

It is in fact the original choreography.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#58ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/14/14 at 1:38pm

Thanks for that! I have the GM R&H Hour on video somewhere but haven't seen it in years! And yeah that definitely looks like DeMille choreography.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#59ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:50pm

Gorgeous singing. Very impressive playing of instruments by the actors and good performances. Doubling on violin and trumpet? Wow! Alas, I found the whole evening very dull. Not a good musical at all.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#60ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:54pm

I've never seen a production of the show, but I LOVE this original version someone posted with the Greek Chorus. It's so theatrical.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#61ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/15/14 at 6:17pm

You see in the original that Janice Rule danced Agnes DeMille's choreography. It's hard to dance with a tuba in your hand.

What's next Chorus line where everyone plays their own instruments and there is no choreography? I hate this Doyle one trick convention.

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#62ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/15/14 at 11:46pm

The work I saw at today's matinee was lovely, warm and very well received. This is an Allegro for our time. Simple, clear, effective. The instruments inform us of the subtext, along with really terrific acting and singing. They are used to accentuate the characters' relationships to one another and provide comic relief as well. I adore Agnes de Mille, she's a genius and no one needs me to say it, however, during this production, I did not want to see a dancing chorus. For me, for what it's worth, this was an intimate, compelling coup de theatre. Bravo, Mr. Doyle, Bravo.

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#63ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/16/14 at 1:02am

Not to knock the actors, but w/ the instruments means you aren't really getting the best actor for the part per say, but who can play these instruments and carry a tune. I think his Sweeney was phenomenal and I'm so glad I saw it. But I didn't love Company.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#64ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/16/14 at 10:18pm

I think the actors do a fine job with a show that, despite some lovely music, is boring and preachy. The main character is a blank, the rest are heavy-handed symbols, and the relentless "small-town America is purest living" message of the second half is condescending. I honestly couldn't imagine sitting through the full-length version; 90 minutes was sufficient.

Doyle's direction neither enhances nor detracts from the piece.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#65ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:17pm

Kad I think you hit the nail on the head. Totally agree with your summation. The actors are quite good. As musicians they are quite good. The piece is quite bland and preachy.

neonlightsxo
#66ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/20/14 at 9:54am

Having seen the full version at Astoria PAC in May, I can say that Doyle's direction *does* detract from the piece.

He made a lot of cuts and doubling (actors playing two characters without explanation) that made it very confusing. I've never before agreed with Matthew Murray, but his review hits the nail on the head.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/ob/11_19_14.html

indytallguy
#67ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/20/14 at 10:17am

Well, Brantley likes what Doyle has done with it.
NYT Review of Allegro

indytallguy
#68ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/20/14 at 10:49am

Thoughtful analysis from Jesse Green in Vulture about what works and what doesn't.
Vulture review

EricMontreal22
#69ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/20/14 at 8:45pm

The thing is, the work was conceived as something like a Greek epic. Archetypical characters, very little scenery (the projections by Mielziner--NYPL's site has many of them--are GORGEOUS,) a greek chorus, a huge dancing chorus, etc. The problem is they wanted this epic staging for a very small scale story, but I still think that approach would at least be interesting. (Of course apparently DeMille wasn't quite up to being a director as well as choreographer, there were problems with the screens--one dancer almost lost a foot in one of the tracks for them--and more set bits were added, etc.)

Having read the script and knowing the recording well, I just think if done small scale it might seem all the more trite.

EricMontreal22
#70ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/20/14 at 8:46pm

Before his death, apparently Hammerstein was thinking of an intimate TV version and reportedly Ted Chapin said that Oscar had some very interesting ideas--but went into no further details...

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#71ALLEGRO at Classic Stage Company
Posted: 11/21/14 at 12:28am

With three concise, carefully chosen iconic abstractions -- the beat of a man’s heart (pulsing throughout the 90-minute version at CSC) a shaft of light streaming across a skyscraper’s window, a deceased mother’s favorite wooden chair; Mr. Doyle tells the story of a man’s life and burgeoning career in a big city. These images are a stunning counterpoint to the "actor muso" concept for which Mr. Doyle is renowned.

Precise orchestrations are used to underscore the subtext of each character's narrative; a manipulative female plays her violin so that the sweeter girl's guitar strains (So Far) never really reach our hero's ears. Mr. Doyle’s direction is dazzlingly lean, pared down disarmingly well – but make no mistake, you are being held to account here as a viewing member of the proceedings. The lecturing and posturing, frequently referred to in the original production as unwieldy, is utilized earnestly here; lights up on the audience, actors right in your face, it now resembles the work of the WPA’s Federal Theatre Project of the mid-to-late 1930’s. Mr. Doyle’s work likens this lovely gem to "Waiting for Lefty" and "The Cradle Will Rock" rather than "Our Town."

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."

Videos