pixeltracker

Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena- Page 3

Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#50Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena
Posted: 10/5/19 at 4:11pm

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "It's not about tradition ... It's about respecting the written material and casting actors who are capable of the role... If you want to see a strong production of LSOH, I suggest seeing the current Off-Broadway staging."

Yeah but isn’t it well known that Tammy Blanchard can’t sing the role as written? 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

theatregeeklife
#51Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena
Posted: 10/8/19 at 11:58am

Saw the show this weekend, Saturday afternoon. I also thought George was amazing. I stayed after the show and was lucky enough to meet and chat with George for a few minutes after the show, he was very nice and patient with all my questions.

I thought the show as a whole was great, I didn't mind the staging except for some interesting choices for Audrey 2. But as a whole I thought MJ Rodriguez was great and did a wonderful job with Somewhere that is Green. Kevin Chamberlin was great as expected. I thought the changes they made to character and wardrobe worked it made it more realistic and relatable, which in turn made me more invested in the characters. I have seen Little Shop a allot, and I was glad that they tried something different.

As well the day I went the audience was very positive in its reaction laughing and cheering and giving the performance a standing ovation. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#52Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena
Posted: 10/8/19 at 12:41pm

Went last week and I really enjoyed it.  The audience was enraptured with it.. which is really nice to see out here in the west.  I have seen Little Shop many times throughout the years.  This production is one of the most refreshing. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Joviedamian
#53Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena
Posted: 10/10/19 at 2:10pm

I've heard rumors that Amber Riley actually pre-recorded her vocals for the show and that she is not even there live! Can anyone confirm that she takes a bow at the end of the show when she is there? I saw the understudy and had friends who saw the production with apparently Amber there, but did not see her take a bow form all three of my friends who saw it.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#54Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena
Posted: 10/10/19 at 2:58pm

Saw it this past Saturday night and she was there for bows.

AEA AGMA SM
#55Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena
Posted: 10/10/19 at 8:22pm

Joviedamian said: "I've heard rumors that Amber Riley actually pre-recorded her vocals for the show and that she is not even there live! Can anyone confirm that she takes a bow at the end of the show when she is there? I saw the understudy and had friends who saw the production with apparently Amber there, but did not see her take a bow form all three of my friends who saw it."

If her vocals were pre-recorded why would there have been an understudy?

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#56Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena
Posted: 10/10/19 at 8:29pm

Amber was there for bows when I saw the show in September. 

Dkinny23
#57Little Shop of Horrors- Pasadena
Posted: 10/14/19 at 7:06pm

So finallyyy saw Little Shop on Saturday!! I really loved it. I hadn’t seen the movie or broadway production in MANY years so not sure if it was the nostalgia of seeing/hearing it again or not, but I found myself smiling the entire time.

As I said in previous posts, I brought my brother who had never seen the move/show and didn’t know the story. He really liked it, but his first thoughts after it ended was, “wow that was a weird story” lol. I honestly forgot how nonsensical the story is, but the fact that he made that comment made me love it all the more.

As for the set design, I thought I was going to be really disappointed based on pictures from Instagram I had seen of the stage, but I actually thought it worked really well. The simplicity and grit added to the feel of what Skid Row was supposed to be like.

George was by far the most perfectly casted person for Seymour in my opinion. I may be partial because I’m a huge fan and essentially only went to see it because of him. But with attempting to take my bias out of it I really was impressed with his interpretation of the character and his choices. He was so sweetly innocent I just wanted to say “aww” at everything he did/said. Again, I may be biased here lol. MJ did a great job. While, in general, I thought her acting may have been slightly dry, I think she really portrayed Audrey well. Her and George had great chemistry. I thought she was best any time she was on stage with him. I thought their first kiss went on a few seconds too long, though on the other hand their chemistry and connection was palpable so maybe it was a good think. I couldn’t remember how Audrey 2 was in the movie or broadway version I saw in the past so really wasn’t comparing, but thought she was pretty funny. Her humor was kind of of eye rolley to me but that sort of just added to it.

I thought they did a great job with the puppet. Two things sort of bothered me: 1) they didn’t even try to hide the people dressed in all black at certain points when they were supposed to not be seen and just represents “tentacles” of the plant. For instance when they throw the machete out of the giant plant’s mouth, a guy just walked to the entrance of the mouth and threw it. They really could have done that better. 2) The other thing that I was slightly confused about and didn’t love was that they kept switching between the giant plant as it was growing back to the small version that Seymour holds and talks to. I get that it was probably supposed to be “representative” that he was in the same room as the plant, but why not just keep the big one on stage the whole time? I don’t know if it’s the same in the off broadway version right now, but I seem to remember the plant just continually getting bigger and bigger. Also just a minor detail, but I didn’t love that they made the plant hot pink. It seemed more like a stuffed animal than a plant. But again just a small preference that didn’t take away from the show.

All in all I would definitely suggest it! Also I loved Pasadena Playhouse, I thought it was such a cute theater! Cute little farmers market thing right outside was adorable.

Oh an just confirming Amber came out for bows at that performance (Saturday matinee)

Videos