What will happen to Tony Awards?

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#50What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/13/20 at 10:50am

Robbie2 said: "RCMH is booked in June - August

it's available Sept 13 or 20 Sundaythen Josh Groban is back
"

You have been insufferable on here the past few days, spreading nothing but pessimistic opinions and panic! Comments like yours on here the past few days is why we live in a constant state of fear. 

That being said, this is yet another foolish comment. Almost every Sunday in June-August is available at RCMH. There’s also the Beacon and Hulu Theatre (all same owner - MSG). If the League wants the Tonys want to happen, they’ll find a place to make it happen.

Until then all we can do is wait and pray this gets better and the city can recover. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#51What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/13/20 at 10:55am

They will either be postponed or canceled, and we will most likely not know until more time has passed and more about the pandemic becomes clear in this country.

That’s it. That’s all. Everything else is conjecture.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#52What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/13/20 at 11:50am

There is a simple and really obvious solution, if there is no extension in the shut down, the Broadway League can simply shift the entire season back 4 weeks. Productions would resume on the schedule of openings they had before the suspension so Six would now open on Thursday April 16th, and so on. Its not like CBS has anything else going on Sundays in the end of June/Early July. The League and CBS can always use the Beacon or Hulu at MSG if Radio City is unavailable, but I would bet money DeBlasio and Cuomo will get involved to force the Dolan’s into letting the Tony’s take place at Radio City for the good of the New York economy as a whole. The only actS that is currently book to play MSG around that time are Melanie Martinez and Bauhaus, which can easily be rescheduled.

The only thing that this would arguably hurt is opening night parties, but at this point I don’t think that would be any member of the theater communities main concern.

This would possibly hurt limited productions scheduled to close at the end of June, but it would be the utilitarian solution.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#53What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/14/20 at 2:18pm

Coronavirus Update: NYC Health Inspector Says Outbreak Could Last Through September

Let's HOPE NOT...

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#54What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/14/20 at 6:49pm

Talked to a friend in a broadway show today who said they’re still tentatively returning to work in 3 weeks but they’re being told to plan for 3+ months of a shutdown.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#55What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/14/20 at 7:03pm

As Kad said: we just dont know.

On Thurs aft, work told me what was cancelled (sports, extra curriculars, field trips, visitors).

Thurs NIGHT, we were told no school Fri & Mon, with news to come on Mon.

Friday, midday, we were told 2 weeks.

I highly doubt it will only be 2 weeks - but who knows when any further divisions will be made.

No one knows.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#56What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/14/20 at 9:15pm

In this time of uncertainty, you can’t predict anything. I’m hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

I’m a teacher in a state with governor enforced shut downs. We went from the first 2 diagnosed cases emerging on Tuesday to 25 yesterday. On Thursday morning, we were told about the cancellation of extracurricular activities, field trips, end of the year class trips, and adjustments to our lunch and passing schedules so we’d have 100 kids or less in the cafeteria and main halls. By that evening, our admin told us to prepare for a closing announcement on Friday...but the governor shut the entire state school system down for a 3 week minimum that evening.

Today’s communication from our building administration and ISD leadership has told us to be prepared for a 4-6 week closure. We have 900 people in our building. The theater district has so many more.

In a perfect world, everything would just shift back 4 or 5 or however many weeks long the closure is. I think what stands as a bigger hurdle is what shows will survive and choose to open this spring. Do you have a ceremony when you only have (I’m just pulling a number here)  3 new shows up for best musical? It’s hypothetical right now, but we can’t predict what shows are going to give it a go in April, especially those that haven’t started previews or were getting left behind already.

We also don’t know how audiences will respond when closure is ended. Are people going to run back to theaters immediately? We, as fans, might, but are Aunt Barb and Uncle Wayne going to come in for a matinee?

Videos