pixeltracker

What will happen to Tony Awards?

What will happen to Tony Awards?

BWAY Baby2
#1What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 2:34pm

Will they still go on? How will it impact the nominees?

Updated On: 3/12/20 at 02:34 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 2:55pm

They will likely be postponed, lots of shows won't even open this season.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Speed
#3What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 3:04pm

Can't imagine there will be a Tony Awards this year.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#4What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:07pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "Will they still go on? How will it impact the nominees?"

As for now due to our COVID19 outbreak  - The Tonys will NOT happen this year.We don't know how long it will last- BROADWAY is shut for 4 weeks...possibly longer all depends???

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:10pm

In the grand scheme of things it is not that important.

Poster Emeritus

littlemouse921 Profile Photo
littlemouse921
#6What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:12pm

Mr Roxy said: "In the grand scheme of things it is not that important. "

I think we all understand that, but this being a Broadway message board it seems like a reasonable question to ponder

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#7What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:13pm

Mr Roxy said: "In the grand scheme of things it is not that important."

That's true..LIVES are more important than an awards show at this time

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:14pm

It may not be important, but this is a theatre message board, so this is definitely a point of interest. If you don’t want to take part in this conversation, you don’t have to. I too am wondering what the broadway league and American theatre wing decide what the best route is for this years Tony awards. I’d hope for a postponement for all the artists that have worked so hard on their respective shows, they deserve the recognition.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Broadway61004
#9What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:27pm

Robbie2 said: "BWAY Baby2 said: "Will they still go on? How will it impact the nominees?"

As for now due to our COVID19 outbreak - The Tonys will NOT happen this year.We don't know how long it will last- BROADWAY is shut for 4 weeks...possibly longer all depends???
"

Why would the Tonys not happen?  There's still been a Broadway season and most of these shows will still open at some point.  The Tonys may be delayed, but I can't imagine them being canceled just because of a 4-week pause in the season.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:29pm

If broadway is closed for 4 weeks, can’t the Tonys adjust their deadline for the season?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#11What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:32pm

Jordan Catalano said: "If broadway is closed for 4 weeks, can’t the Tonys adjust their deadline for the season? "

This is what I was thinking as well. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#12What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:43pm

Call_me_jorge said: "It may not be important, but this is a theatre message board, so this is definitely a point of interest. If you don’t want to take part in this conversation, you don’t have to. I too am wondering what the broadway league and American theatre wing decide what the best route is for this years Tony awards. I’d hope for a postponement for all the artists that have worked so hard on their respective shows, they deserve the recognition."

Cases of COVID-19 climbed by 112 overnight  to 328 on Thursday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said Thursday at a press briefing and could reach 1000 by next week! It's more of wait and see what happens during the next 4 weeks...nobody is worrying or thinking about the TONYS happening at this time - 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#13What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 4:58pm

Jordan Catalano said: "If broadway is closed for 4 weeks, can’t the Tonys adjust their deadline for the season?"

That assumes all is well in four weeks and that every planned production is able to withstand the delay.

Smeds2 Profile Photo
Smeds2
#14What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 5:01pm

For a show like 'Six' that already has an established name for itself, it won't matter too much. But the shows that needed to build a buzz like 'Flying Over Sunset' or 'Diana', I can't imagine how they'll work things out after the cancellation finishes. It's really concerning for the brand new shows that aren't already established; will they be able to pick up ticket sales once things reopen?

MCW1227 Profile Photo
MCW1227
#15What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 5:08pm

Those numbers only include NYC residents.  It does not include the millions of people who have been in NYC since last month.  

Be Kind

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#16What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 5:09pm

Robbie2 said: "It's more of wait and see what happens during the next 4 weeks...nobody is worrying or thinking about the TONYS happening at this time -"

We're talking about it, therefore we're thinking about it. I don't see anything wrong with speculation. 

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#17What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 5:37pm

Jordan Catalano said: "If broadway is closed for 4 weeks, can’t the Tonys adjust their deadline for the season? "

As haterobics alluded to, a 4 week closure is just the absolute bare minimum based on current information. If they announced a 6 month closure now, and refunded 6 months worth of ticket orders, and somehow miraculously, everything was back to normal in 3 months, they would regret it.  I think it is safe to say that a 1 month closure is the first step.  

Right now the US government is playing catch up, chasing this beast from behind. It Is appalling that so few Americans have been tested, primarily the very sick ones who obviously have it. There will not be an end in sight until we get in front of it, and that is done by widespread testing of virtually everyone, with quarantine protocols for not only those that are sick, but for the primary source of spread, the thousands and soon hundreds of thousands of people who are positive but symptom free or virtually symptom free.

If they just push back the deadline one month and/or reschedule the Tony Awards for the first Sunday in July, they already know it is extremely likely they will just have to postpone everything again.

Updated On: 3/13/20 at 05:37 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#18What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 5:47pm

Why not have the shows that have opened by now be eligible for this years awards? The shows that were about to be in previews and have not officially opened will be eligible for the next year. Don't have a big Tony award ceremony this year and have the winners announced at a dinner kind of like the Golden Globes. Just a thought.

Kimbo
#19What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 6:02pm

yankeefan7 said: "Why not have the shows that have opened by now be eligible for this years awards? The shows that were about to be in previews and have not officially opened will be eligible for the next year. Don't have a big Tony award ceremony this year and have the winners announced at a dinner kind of like the Golden Globes. Just a thought."

EXCEPT nearly HALF the season hasn't opened yet.  It would be like previous depressing Tony ceremonies like 1985 and 1993 when there would only be 2 or 3 nominees in many of the categories.  NOT to mention that the marketing value of the Tonys as the single biggest commercial for live theater – more badly needed than ever after this mess, I'm sure you'll agree – would be seriously undermined by either an undernourished half-'season', or obviously by doing it as a 'dinner' with no lavish TV broadcast.  (Especially when the shows will desperately need that TV exposure more than ever.)

Honestly, if they can't extend the deadline for the June awards, or can't reschedule the ceremony for July or September - one of which I expect them to do if they can - it would probably make more sense to just scrap them this year, chalk up the Tonys to another casualty of the season, and then do a super-sized ceremony next year, with (presumably) a year and a half worth of shows, and the eligibility window extending from May 2019-April 2021.  Given how it's almost impossible under the best of circumstances to squeeze all the critics, nominators and voters into every single show during the prime 2-month awards window of April-May, unless it looks like this is getting better VERY quickly, that actually might be the smartest bet.

Updated On: 3/12/20 at 06:02 PM

A0326T
#20What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 6:10pm

yankeefan7 said: "Why not have the shows that have opened by now be eligible for this years awards? The shows that were about to be in previews and have not officially opened will be eligible for the next year. Don't have a big Tony award ceremony this year and have the winners announced at a dinner kind of like the Golden Globes. Just a thought."

This will be the same as when Sunset Boulevard won back in the 90s. I may be wrong but i am sure it was the same year with Smoky Joe's Cafe which is a revue not a new musical. 

Zion24
#21What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 6:12pm

this is like finding out there is a mass famine and wondering if we will get whipped cream with our pie for dessert.

who cares? the Tony Awards are fun and all but Broadway is primarily a business, and employs so many people that will be out of work and out of money for so long. the last thing on anyone's mind is, or should be, whether some fancy awards ceremony will take place in June, when an entire city is about to enter a hellish lockdown. SMH.

A0326T
#22What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 6:14pm

If it happens the last week of July, it will be my first experience as i will be in NYC around that time. I want to be excited now but i do know we need to pass this problem we havr now.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#23What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 6:24pm

JDonaghy4 said: "this is like finding out there is a mass famine and wondering if we will get whipped cream with our pie for dessert.

who cares? the Tony Awards are fun and all but Broadway is primarily a business, and employs so many people that will be out of work and out of money for so long. the last thing on anyone's mind is, or should be, whether some fancy awards ceremony will take place in June, when an entire city is about to enter a hellish lockdown. SMH.
"

Just want to make sure you can breathe since your pearls are being clutched so tightly. And this is a theatre message board - theatre related things are being discussed. If you’d like to scream to the heavens asking who will care about the children, then I’m sure you can find a message board more suited to your needing to feel superior.

djoko84
#24What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 6:27pm

If you think Broadway will only be closed till April 12th, you're being naive. Most likely it will be longer than that. The Tonys will either be postponed a couple months or canceled altogether since many shows won't even get to open.

Updated On: 3/12/20 at 06:27 PM

Zion24
#25What will happen to Tony Awards?
Posted: 3/12/20 at 6:43pm

my pearls aint clutched. theres plenty to discuss re shutting down broadway, the loss of so many jobs, and the fact that many shows will likely never premiere at all. anyone can talk about anything they want, its a free(ish) board but if youre suggesting I shouldnt join that conversation by pointing out how ridiculous it is, sorry. here i am.

being concerned that the big party in June might not happen strikes me as worrying about the orchestra as the titanic sinks. but youre right. worry away!

Videos