pixeltracker

the new Aida Equity tour- Page 3

the new Aida Equity tour

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#50re: Not a non-Equity tour
Posted: 1/14/05 at 6:32pm

It's not the Disney production, exactly, Tiff... or that's how it sounds. Obviously, I guess it's the Elton John/Tim Rice score, but the sets/costumes/staging are completely different.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#51re: Not a non-Equity tour
Posted: 1/14/05 at 6:52pm

Oh, I see. I just figured if they were the ones who produced the original Broadway production, then they would get credit for all subsequent official Btoadway tours. But your explanation makes sense.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#52re: Not a non-Equity tour
Posted: 1/14/05 at 7:12pm

i've never seen AIDA, sadly, but always wanted to. is this worth seeing for me, or will it taint the show? it's coming to me at the end of this month. what do y'all think?

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

luvtheEmcee
#53re: Not a non-Equity tour
Posted: 1/14/05 at 7:12pm

If you've never seen it, then I'd say go. You won't have the "Disneyification" to measure it up against, and it's still a beautiful story with a killer score. Go! re: Not a non-Equity tour

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#54re: Not a non-Equity tour
Posted: 1/14/05 at 8:24pm

I will post my review after seeing it on January 23rd.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#55re: Casting Notice
Posted: 1/14/05 at 8:31pm

It's an all Equity tour. Here's the casting notice from last September:

Theatre League, Inc. [Los Angeles, CA] will hold Equity chorus auditions for Aida. Prod. Amneris Company, dir. Andy Ferrara, mus. dir. Lloyd Cooper, choreo. Scott Fowler, cstg. dir. Michael Donovan, C.S.A. Chorus rehearsals start Dec. 20. There is a half day Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve (off Christmas day & New Year's day). 2005 Performances run Jan. 4-9 in Thousand Oaks, CA; Jan. 14-16 in Long Beach, CA; Jan. 21-23 in Pasadena, CA; Jan. 28-30 in Richardson, TX; Feb. 1-6 in Phoenix, AZ; Apr. 15-17 in Greensboro, NC; Apr. 21-24 in Toledo, OH; and Apr. 26-May 1 in Kansas City, MO.
Apparently the leads were all precast with "name" performers. Unlike regional theater productions in the L.A. area, which have a cast of both Equity and non-Equity performers, this one seems to be all Equity.
As I stated in a previous post, Theatre League, which does in 8 cities, seems to have set up this mini-tour, rather than book a regular touring company, as they usually do (recent examples: Grease, Sound of Music, Buddy...)
So I would expect that it's probably a quite talented group of performers, and a rather unique kind of "tour."

basketcase
#56re: Casting Notice
Posted: 1/16/05 at 5:17am

Alright folks. I saw the show tonight, and I must say...it was pretty decent. I went in with pretty low expectations. I was kind of expecting that the lack of Disney sets and costumes would make me realize that she show in general isn't really all that great. And while I do realize that it's certainly not the best piece of theatre out there, it can hold its own without the flashy Disney/Broadway budget.

This may get long, it's 2am and I'm tiiiired...

I accidentally left my program in the car and I don't really feel like going back down 5 floors to retrieve it, so work with me here while I refer to actors solely by character name (I hate when people do that, I'm such a hypocrite!). Anyway, I thought that overall the three leads were fairly strong. Aida had an amazing voice, she was probably my favorite of the three just because she seemed to be the most consistent. Amneris was fabulous. Great voice and absolutely nailed the comic timing. Her take on the character seemed as if it were almost based on Karen Walker from Will & Grace. She started of really strong, but as the show went on I became slightly less impressed with her. I can't decide if that was the actress though or the character and the material that she's given. Overall though, I liked her. Radames was ok. I really enjoyed his Fortune Favors The Brave, but almost felt as if that number set me up for disappointment because I really didn't enjoy the rest of his performance as much. His voice was good, but just not as strong as I think the character demands. Even if Adam Pascal didn't always hit the notes...he at least had some power behind his voice. I don't exactly know how to describe it, it was almost as if this guy lacked technique, using his head voice too much or something. However, the shallow part of me would like to add that he has a FABULOUS upper body which was very nicely complimented by his costume, which basically left him shirtless for nearly the entire show.

Zoser was by far the biggest disappointment in the cast. I thought his voice was very weak, he seemed to talk/yell more than actually sing. His character wasn't so much evil and sinister as he was just creepy old man. I was not a fan.

Mereb was good. Not a standout, but he definitely held his own and was a good, strong singer.

The male ensemble I thought, for the most part, was rather weak. Good singers, but the dancing just wasn't up to par. And perhaps that's because I went into the show recalling the amazing choreography and dancers from the Broadway production...and this production just doesn't have that. Another Pyramid was a huge disappointment, not only because I thought Zoser butchered it, but because the dancing just wasn't there. There's really nothing special about that song itself, it's always been more about the spectacle of the NSync-esque dance moves...at least for me. Same goes for Like Father Like Son. Unimpressive choreography and pretty poor execution.

The female ensemble was pretty good, and for the most part I really enjoyed My Strongest Suit...although I admit, I really missed the Disney set for that particular scene. But the set they had served its purpose and I was very impressed with how it transformed from the pool to the runway. The costumes during the runway scene were a bit strange and oddly reminiscent of a Vegas showgirl act...plus one girl was dressed as what appeared to be Wonder Woman, which was odd yet mildly entertaining.

As a whole the sets and costumes seemed a little more like what we would classically consider "period appropriate". More outfits like you see depicted in drawings of ancient Egypt. The sets for the most part were lower-budget knockoffs of the Broadway sets. I don't mean that to sound like they looked cheap...because they didn't at all. They just obviously lack the fly system that the Broadway production had that flew those puppies in from all angles. As a whole the settings seemed a lot more realistic and much less flashy. They did make good use of the cyc at the back of the stage with lots of beautiful colored lighting and some really awesome gobos.

My major complaint would be technical problems. I think perhaps the sound guy was taking a nap during the show. First lines were continually being cut off because the mics weren't being turned on at the appropriate times.

Despite my criticisms, I overall really enjoyed the production. Perhaps going into it with next-to-no expectations helped. It's gonna be hard to really love it if you've seen the Broadway production or the previous tour, but the general response from audience members around me, who had never seen the show before, was positive. Overall the blocking really isn't THAT much different, the sets are well done, and if nothing else...the music is great. There's nothing I can think of in the production that I thought was so drastically different that it really detracted from the show.

I apologize for rambling and if you read that whole thing, you get a cookie.

luvtheEmcee
#57re: Casting Notice
Posted: 1/16/05 at 9:11am

re: Casting Notice thanks! Can I have a cookie? No, really. Nice review. Gah. I miss this show.

timote316
#58re: Casting Notice
Posted: 1/16/05 at 10:36am

I read it too! Great review. I need to see Aida re: Casting Notice

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#59re: Aida Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 1:03pm

Some of the weaker points mentioned by basketcase (dancing & technical) may have something to do with the fact that the tour is just beginning (without preview performances, I believe). The LA Times gave it a mostly excellent review which follows:

The populist reworking of star-crossed triangles and pyramids that is "Aida" returns to several Southland venues with a new look and feel, courtesy of an original production from Kansas City-based Theater League. It's a capable though rarely magical effort, best approached on its own terms rather than with Broadway-caliber expectations.
Tackling the epic Elton John-Tim Rice romance musical without recourse to the producing umbrella (and deep pockets) of the Walt Disney Co. was a gutsy move for Theater League, a presenter of civic light opera-level road shows. Seizing the opportunities afforded by its new Equity touring contract to amortize costs over a wider range of locations, the company's sizable investment is apparent in the production values and solid lead performances on display first at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza, then moving to the Long Beach Terrace Theater and on to the Pasadena Civic Auditorium.
Still, it's immediately apparent that this "Aida" isn't in the same theater league (sorry) as the megabuck spectacle that played the Ahmanson Theatre in 2001. In place of slyly modernist stylistic flourishes, this one takes a more straightforward approach to its costumes and scenic design, drawing on the traditional scholarly wellsprings that have shaped our images of ancient Egypt: "The Ten Commandments," touring King Tut exhibits, the Luxor Hotel in Vegas.
Dazzling special effects like the famous floating bathers in the swimming pool as seen from above in "My Strongest Suit" have been cut back to more budget-friendly scale (in this case, a fashion show runway parody).
Visual inventiveness, however, isn't the primary objective here. Amid the requisite quasi-biblical breastplates, tunics and portable painted flats of temples, palaces and tombs, Andy Ferrara's staging focuses on telling the story, whose operatic roots entail far more maturity and depth than other theatrical offerings from the Disney dream factory.
In the title role, Melodye Perry brings smoldering confidence and a lovely singing voice to the Nubian princess torn between loyalty to her people and love for Radames, the handsome Egyptian warrior who has enslaved her.
In a case of life imitating Broadway legend, understudy Craig Cady ably covers the part of Radames for Jaymes Hodges, sidelined for the time being by an onstage injury. His portrayal hits the right mix of compassion without sacrificing virility.
Sobering issues of interracial taboos, domination and submission, and class conflict all shape the characters' destinies in this sobering show, which has more thematic affinity with "The King and I" than with "The Lion King" — especially in its celebration of the human capacity for self-transformation in the face of adversity.
Radames' growing recognition of the injustice and oppression inherent in the system he represents movingly parallels Aida's ability to go beyond her hatred for the Egyptian conquerors to see the heroism in her lover.
Covering the greatest distance is Egyptian Princess Amneris (Lesli Margherita), the would-be rival for Radames' affections, who evolves from self-absorbed fashion plate to wise ruler.
Supporting cast standouts include Jeffrey Rockwell as Radames' traitorous father and Ron Kellum as Aida's fellow slave and stalwart confidante. In his brief stage time, Marc Cedric Smith's dignified presence as Aida's father is undermined when he pushes his escape raft away from Aida even as he's supposed to be reaching for her (surely there's a more convincing way to stage this).
The greatest limitation, however, is inherent in the show itself — John's bland pop score and Rice's clichéd lyrics do not further the substantive currents of the exposition-heavy book by Linda Wolverton, Robert Falls and David Henry Hwang. When characters achieve their pivotal recognitions during song rather than through song, that's never a good thing in a musical.

aeron
#60re: Aida Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 11:36pm

I also attended the show Saturday night and I agree with basketcase on almost all counts. Nice review!

I didn't feel that "Radames" ever developed any chemistry with his female leads... kind of moved through the blocking with no passion or animation, so this in turn hampered their performance a bit, especially "Amneris's". He did carry off the vocals well and was strongest while performing with "Aida". Very nice on the eyes too. :) I hope that as the tour continues on, he will develop the character more - having to step in like this rather unexpectedly must have been a dream/nightmare! "Mereb" did fine as an actor and vocalist.

I saw the original Disney-backed L.A. tour at the Ahmason, but I went to this production with an open mind in regards to the casting, staging, costuming, etc. Now, having said that - I hate to admit that I too missed the very "cool" costuming and dancing of the henchman and evil, cynical "Zoser". This was the only actor that I personally felt was poorly cast for this production. His vocals basically nailed the lid on the coffin for "Another Pyramid" and "Like Father...". I had to mentally fast-forward past those scenes. (shudder). I think the male ensemble is weak during these two numbers, but then again, if they were as bothered by "Zoser's" vocals as I was - that may have been a contributing factor.

Luckily, "Amneris" worked very well with the ensemble during, "My Strongest Suit". "Aida" also clenched it with the 1st Act closer, "The Gods Love Nubia". That number proved to me that this ensemble has what it takes to pull the show off without all of the Disney-tech and costuming. They just need to carry that same energy and confidence throughout the whole show. If they did bring this show out with no preview time, then the cast should only get better in the upcoming weeks.

For anyone that has not seen Aida, this production is worth going out for. This was my mother's first viewing and she and the others in our group that didn't have any previous experience with the show enjoyed themselves immensely. I've never been to a Theater League production before - it's not Broadway, but it's still good theater.

Aida - Melodye Perry
Radames - Craig Cady
Amneris - Lesli Margherita
Mereb - Ron Kellum
Zoser - Jeffrey Rockwell

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#61Aida Pasadena Review
Posted: 1/24/05 at 1:25am

I saw the new Equity (the whole cast is AE) mini-tour of Aida tonight in Pasadena and my response is largely positive. The strongest points in the show are the powerful performances of the two female leads. Melodye Perry has gone from replacing Nehebka on Broadway to understudying Aida to now playing the Nubian princess in this production. She is beautiful, regal, sexy, and sings forcefully. Her voice may echo Heather Headley, but her look is different enough to make her performance unique. Highest marks go to the sensational Lesli Margherita as Amneris, a role which undergoes the most radical change, from flighty (and fabulous!) fashion plate to compassionate and revolutionary leader. Margherita has the voice, the face, and the acting chops to make this change believable and tremendously moving. Her rendition of I Know the Truth had me in tears. The ensemble (which a previous poster had found lacking) has overcome whatever shortcomings might have been evident when the show opened without the benefit of previews. (Mark Shunkey is a cutie and my personal favorite.) Other performances were good (I liked Ron Kellum as Mereb, Jeffrey Rockwell less so as Zoser). Jaymes Hodges, who was sidelined when the show opened in Thousand Oaks (hence understudy Craig Cady’s excellent review in the L.A. Times) has returned, with only a bandage on his ankle as evidence of his injury. I kind of wish I’d seen Cady (who looked sexy in the ensemble), as Hodges didn’t really do it for me as Radames. He’s handsome and well built enough, sings well enough (I felt the same about the only adequate Patrick Cassidy in the original tour), but I long to see an Adam Pascal in the role, someone really hot and dynamic and with the kind of rock/musical hybrid voice that makes Adam so amazing to listen to in the OBC recording. As to the production design, yes it is very different from the original. Think of this as a revival, with new sets and costumes. I miss the Disney team’s colorful modernistic originality, but this production is decent enough in that respect (more traditional in design), and the My Strongest Suit fashion show is a winner. (Gosh, Lesli Margherita was fun in that scene.) Finally, I really like a lot if not all of Elton John/Tim Rice score. Easy as Life and the previously mentioned I Know the Truth in Act 2 are powerful moments for the two female leads to shine. All in all, a mostly enthusiastic thumbs up. If your city is part of this Aida tour, I recommend it highly.

complaintdept. Profile Photo
complaintdept.
#62Aida Pasadena Review
Posted: 1/24/05 at 11:29am

I'm looking forward to Aida's arrrival at the end of its tour in Kansas City. Thanks for the outstanding reviews. I saw the first tour with Simone as Aida. Loved her! How does Melodye compare with her?

What's that I smell in the air? The American dream.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#63Aida Pasadena Review
Posted: 1/28/07 at 6:15pm

Wait so now I'm really confused, but I am seeing the non-equity tour in March....I was hoping it was the equity tour because I love the original stuff...and I just researched and am now kicking myself because back in 2001 the Official Equity Aida Tour came to the Seattle Paramount and I had no idea....Does anyone think they will bring back the equity tour because that's the one I truly want to see

RunswithScissors
#64Aida Pasadena Review
Posted: 1/28/07 at 11:12pm

You are commenting on a TWO year old thread and referring to a tour from SIX years ago .....awake up

Why not go see the current tour and then give us your opinion....

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#65Aida Pasadena Review
Posted: 1/29/07 at 2:36am

Yea well the tour changed to non-equity TWO years ago and is different from the Disney sponsored tour that ran up until about 2004....MAN I kick myself for not seeing the Original tour when it came to Seattle in 2001

Theatretech2
#66Aida Pasadena Review
Posted: 2/2/07 at 11:03am

What you don't understand is that every touring production of a show is entirely different from any previous production. As for Aida, there was the Broadway Production, on Broadway. Then the same producers put together the First National Touring Production, based on the same designs as the broadway prod. Once that tour closed, it "went away". Any subsequent productions or tours have been designed, built, and cast from the ground up...i.e. not based on the "Disney" production in any way. That was the case with the Theatre League tour, and is definitely the case with the current U.S. tour, produced by Big League Theatricals. Our tour was designed and built as a "Bus and Truck" tour, which is capable of playing one-night, small town dates, up to week-long, large city dates. It was also cast as non-equity, to keep the costs lower, so small-town america presenters can afford to book the show. The full-scale, first national tours can only afford to play the big-city venues, which can support such large, costly shows that are the equivalent to Broadway.

I hope this answers some of your questions and confusion. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further.

For our schedule, see: theaidatour.com

Thanks!

sondhead
#67Aida Pasadena Review
Posted: 2/2/07 at 11:12am

www.theaidatour.com

Broadway Baby4
#68Aida Pasadena Review
Posted: 2/2/07 at 1:06pm

I saw it January 26th! I LOVED it! I'm now OBSESSED WITH AIDA!
CAST:
Aida - Marja Harmon
Radames - Casey Elliott (I LOVE HIM!)
Amneris - Paige Faure(u/a for Leah Allers who was VERY sick)
Zoser - JD Rudd

It was breathtaking and I LOVED every minute of it.

RIP Beauty and the Beast 1994 - 2007 RIP Lestat 04/25/2006 - 05/29/06 You may be gone, but you are NOT forgotten! RIP Jonathan Larson! "Thank You Jonathan Larson!" My FAVORITE Broadway Actors who I LOVE (cause their AWESOME): Josh Strickland, Aaron Lazar, David Ayers, Sebastian Arcelus and Hugh Panaro

Videos