the new Aida Equity tour

eatlasagna
#0the new Aida Equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:24pm

it's coming here to the LA area in a week or two... it might already be here i think... has anyone seen it or read reviews on it? i'm debating on whether or not i want to see it...

thanks Updated On: 1/14/05 at 11:24 PM

timote316
#1re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:26pm

I wasn't aware of Aida on tour right now... hm...

Oh, and non-equity does not mean not good. They are actors too, just actors without connections. They deserve support too!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:30pm

*is happy*

My baby lives. re: the new Aida non-equity tour

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#3re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:34pm

I just saw an article about this - it's opening (or has just opened) in Ventura County. This wasn't a review, just a story about the production. The main point I gleaned was that it won't be the Broadway version, but will have all new designs and staging. I'm sorry about that, because I think the Broadway production design was incredible.

You have to register to see the article, but it's free.
Ventura County Star

luvtheEmcee
#4re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:35pm

*cries*

*heart sinks*

Okay, back to maturity.

timote316
#5re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:35pm

Ticketmaster lists Aida in CA, MO, OH and FL. Damn. I think OH is a little too far for me to travel lol

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#6re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:40pm

Sorry, Emcee! I was disappointed too. The other bit of news was the casting:

"In Theater League's 'Aida,' the title role will be played by Melodye Perry, who was the understudy for Aida in the Broadway production. Jaymes Hodges stars as Radames."

The rest was basically a plot outline and history of the show.

basketcase
#7re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:40pm

I'm hoping to catch it in Long Beach next weekend. I saw it on Broadway a couple of times so I'm interested in seeing how different it is. I've seen commercials for it fairly often over the past couple of weeks and the costumes and sets that I can see in those look quite different.

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#8re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:42pm

Please post a review when you see it. I have a friend in NC who I'd like to see the show if it's a good production.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:44pm

WHAT??? OH, YES!!!!! AIDA is back! I can be happy for a while again...

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#10re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:46pm

ohhh aida...i miss you!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

timote316
#11re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:48pm

Can I just say how much I curse myself for not seeing it when North Shore did it late last year... re: the new Aida non-equity tour

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#12re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:51pm

Just like I curse myself for living in the south.

Well...we do have Christy Carlson Romano playing Belle.

timote316
#13re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:52pm

Good point, zoran. Guess I should feel lucky I at least had an oppurtunity lol

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#14re: the new Aida non-equity tour
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:24am

Since Melodye Perry was in the Broadway production (IBDB confirms this, but does not show her as an understudy), I would assume that this is an Equity production (perhaps akin to those produced at the various Civic Light Operas in the L.A. area where a certain number of performers are Equity and others non-Equity). It seems not to be the usual sort of tour but rather a production mounted by Theatre League for the cities it serves. I subscribe to the Pasadena season (will be seeing it in the front row on Jan. 23!) and they customarily have "pre-packaged" tours (mostly but not exclusively non-Union), so this seems quite a change for them. I've searched and searched online and this is the first info I've gotten about the cast/director, so thanks Chloe! I saw the original touring company at the Ahmanson, so I'm looking forward to seeing the new look that this production will have. It's in Thousand Oaks before coming to Pasadena the weekend of the 21st.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#15re: Interview of Radames and pictures of the two stars
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:36am

re: Interview of Radames and pictures of the two stars

I found this link with lots of pictures of the actor who's playing Radames. He was also in the National Tour of South Pacific starring Robert Goulet. He seems also to be AE.
Jaymes Hodges Interview and Pix Updated On: 1/9/05 at 03:36 AM

AnothaPartofMe
#16re: Interview of Radames and pictures of the two stars
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:57am

He looks like he came out of a scene in JOSEPH... lol.

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

timote316
#17re: Interview of Radames and pictures of the two stars
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:01am

Yes, yes he does lol

luvtheEmcee
#18re: Interview of Radames and pictures of the two stars
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:21am

aaaaaaah. Is that a scene from AIDA? It does look like Joseph.

Go ahead, call me crazy. I know I am, but *cries*

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#19re: Interview of Radames and pictures of the two stars
Posted: 1/9/05 at 2:08pm

You're welcome, and thanks for the link, eslgr. (Googling is the main thing I'm good at around here - most of you know a lot more about theater than I do.) I hope you'll post a review also. I'm really curious about this production.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#20re: Interview of Radames and pictures of the two stars
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:51pm

Wow, just when I thought I'd gotten over AWS, i.e. Aida Withdrawal Syndrome, lol. Was it the best musical ever staged on Broadway... not in a million years, but was it the most entertaining ever... heck yeah!

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#21re: Not a non-Equity tour
Posted: 1/9/05 at 4:50pm

The topic of this thread "non-Equity tour" cannot be accurate as the two leads are Equity. Here is a link to the scheduled cities: only 12 over a less than 4 month span.
Aida tour schedule Updated On: 1/9/05 at 04:50 PM

ThePopBoy
#22re: Not a non-Equity tour
Posted: 1/13/05 at 12:13am

Hey All! I am in the Cast of AIDA. It is an Equity tour. Everything is the same as the Broadway show except the set and the costumes. We gave it a more Egyptian look. Its a great show I hops some of you will be able to check out. Thanks! Enjoy!

ThePopBoy
#23re: Not a non-Equity tour
Posted: 1/13/05 at 12:13am

Hey All! I am in the Cast of AIDA. It is an Equity tour. Everything is the same as the Broadway show except the set and the costumes. We gave it a more Egyptian look. Its a great show I hops some of you will be able to check out. Thanks! Enjoy!

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#24re: Not a non-Equity tour
Posted: 1/13/05 at 12:19am

Thanks PopBoy! I'm glad to hear it's an Equity Tour. Do you know where we can see some pictures of the set design or production pictures? Break a leg on the tour!

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Videos