Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#50re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/6/05 at 11:26pm

Ramona Keller is obnoxious in BKLYN.

And yes, Espinoza is featured.

Either way, she won't get a nomination.

And to whoever asked about SPAMALOT, no, Sara Ramirez doesn't really act at all. She just sings really.

And can see Keli O'Hara getting left out...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#51re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/6/05 at 11:37pm

It would be cool to see LaManna nominated. Helen Gallagher was nominated for Nickie for the original production - and Bebe won for the role in 86. It would be awesome for the third original Broadway Nickie too be nominated.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#52re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 12:05am

I think Kelli O'Hara truly deserves a nom. Definitely over Maureen McGovern, all the ladies of BKLYN, and I also think over Sherie Rene Scott.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#53re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 12:11am

Sherie is in the lead category...

But taking into consideration I've yet to see Chitty and Spamalot, of the performances I've seen, I would give the award to Kelli hands down.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#54re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 12:13am

Sherie Rene Scott will be in the leading category and absolutely deserves a nomination.
O'Hara deserves a nom, I believe, but she may not get it. I seriousl doubt any Brooklyn ladies or LaManna will be though.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

munkustrap178
#55re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 12:18am

LaManna definitely won't get one - same with the 2 shreekers.

The only musical I haven't seen yet is BEE, which could change a lot - but I was just totally unimpressed with O'Hara. I thought she was bland as hell.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#56re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 12:21am

I'm finally seeing Bee next Friday night and really want to solidify my opinions after that as well. I was not blown away by O'Hara but at least for now she is on my list. I kind of hope one or two Bee performers bump her down.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#57re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 2:18am

I forgot Sherie is in the leading category...nevermind.

I haven't seen SPAMALOT, nor Bee. But in the event that Celia Keenan Bolger and Sara Ramirez are both nominated (which is likely), than that certainly leaves plenty of room for O'Hara, whom I thought was flippin' phenomenal.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#58re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 2:30am

My opinions of the acting in Bee have been odd compared to most. The two performers who seem to be getting the most raves are Dan Folger and Celia Keenan-Bolger, and while they all were good, my favorites were Jose Llana, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Sarah Saltzberg. Ooh and maybe the teacher, can't remember her name. I think Folger and Bolger(haha) will both be nominated, but I would certainly give it to Kelli over Celia and...probably Sarah too(Saltzberg, not Ramirez).

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

YeahRight
#59re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 3:01am

I loved Celia and looooved Kelli O.

But there's no question who would walk away with the Tony. Kelli's role is so much more challenging and meaningful and she does an AMAZING job. She caries the entire show. You will not find another actress role that carries as much weight as hers.

And Celia being nominated will make it more interesting.

YeahRight
#60re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 3:02am

Oh..and I got the title of this thread.

But I have a sense of humor so I guess that's it!

munkustrap178
#61re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 3:52am

I really don't think Keli O'Hara will win. Since when has a challenging role guaranteed a Tony? Tonya Pinkins, anyone? I firmly believe that Sara Ramirez will win. Mediocre theatre is the Wing's calling.

#62re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 4:03am

"For those who have seen Spamalot, I have a question, asked with all sincerity.

Does Sara Ramirez really ACT in Spamalot? Or is she just an incredible voice and body put together with some camp and satire?"

I think, actually, that she's a little bit of both. It's a campy show in general, but she does it SO WELL! This is odd to say, but she's believably campy. It takes talent to do good camp. You can write a lot of jokes, but if the delivery isn't right, then it's lost. I recall laughing the whole time at her, and sincerely enjoying her performance. There has to be some acting involved, or else her part would be even more two dimensional than it's written... so yeah, a little bit of both.

munkustrap178
#63re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 4:19am

Ramirez was my favorite part of SPAMALOT - although that's not saying a whole hell of a lot.

I'm just really hoping that Jan Maxwell gets a nod.

YeahRight
#64re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/7/05 at 1:08pm

I would like to see Celia's face when Kelli wins the Tony for the role she originated.

WayWicked
#65re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 1:59pm

wish of good luck to Kelli for the Tony noms!

I'm sure she will be pleased when they are announced!

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Plum
#66re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 2:15pm

What a sweet sentiment, YeahRight. And it's not like the show she went to is a dud, exactly.

joeybiltmore1
#67re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 2:30pm

Yeahright, you are a Michael Reidel in training.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#68re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 2:33pm

That was really mean, Celia might be friends with Kelli. I can't imagine she'd be mad over it, especially since her own current role has Tony buzz around it.
And Wickedrentq, the teacher you preferred to her is the absolutely gorgeous-voiced Lisa Howard, playing Rona Lisa Peretti.

Plum
#69re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 2:36pm

Great voice, under-written character. Maybe they've given the teacher more detail since I saw the show, but there were only hints of her background then.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#70re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 2:39pm

No, her character is still only fleshed out. But it's gorgeously sung and she does get some choicy one-liners. And it's the best-written of the three adult roles.

Plum
#71re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 2:40pm

I wish Jay Reiss could somehow be given credit for being the one who comes up with the context sentences. They're hysterical.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#72re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 2:45pm

Elephant cracked me up.
I don't know how much leeway he has in creating the sentences but I know Lisa can pick and choose on the character commentary and I think is even given leeway on making up new stuff.

YeahRight
#73re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 4:22pm

I can't imagine O'Hara being left off the list. If anything, McGovern or one of the Spelling Bee girls.

Snoopy Profile Photo
Snoopy
#74re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/9/05 at 4:26pm

I will be in the minority but i wasn't knocked out by Sara. She was fine but I don't think the material was that great.

If Kelli isn't nominated Tuesday, there's a serious problem with the theater wing.

Suppertime! Suppertime!!

Videos