pixeltracker

Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees

Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees

WayWicked
#0Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:26am

I think it's going to Kelli O'Hara.

I've seen her and a few others shows and since she's most likely ending up in this catagory, she'll walk away with it.

The closest challenger would be Ceclia in "Bee".

Has there ever been another Tony year where the person who didn't originate a role and the person who originated a role were both nominated?

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Plum
#1re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:29am

No Sara Ramirez?

#2re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:34am

HERE HERE!! Sara Ramirez all the way!! Impossible to forget performance in a decidedly campy role, and amongst all those shimmering starts, she herself managed to glow.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#3re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:44am

I loved Kelli O'Hara and would love to see her win a Tony, but this is totally Sara Ramirez's to lose.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 2:53am

I was not impressed by Keli O'Hara - Sara Ramirez will and should win the Tony.

Jan Maxwell from CHITTY will also be nominated - who is funnier than Ramirez in my opinion, but this is DEFINITELY Ramirez's Tony to loose. She's fierce.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#5re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 11:38am

I'm joining the Sara Ramirez lovefest! She's gorgeous and talented and fierce! I love that you used that word to describe her, Munk. I thought you didn't like her cuz of what you said when she didn't get nominated for the DD.

I haven't seen Piazza yet but I am totally rooting for Sara all the way! She plays the diva so well but is the sweetest girl has the most incredible voice. She is THE reason to see Spam and to buy the cd. She is phenominal! I can't believe that she hasn't had a show of her own to showcase all of her talents.

"Oh my girl, I love her so."

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#6re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 11:48am

Don't forget Gettelfinger.
There are some amazing possible Tony nominees in this category. The competition is MUCH fiercer (or rather, there are simply more total possible nominees in general):
Charity: Janina LaManna and (I'm blanking on the other girl's name)
Piazza: Kelli O'Hara and Sarah Uriarte Berry
Little Women: Megan McGinnis and Maureen McGovern
Spamalot: Sara Ramirez
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: Jan Maxwell and possibly Erin Dilly (They've yet to decide, right?).
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels: Joanna Gleason and Sarah Gettelfinger

That's 11 possible nominees right there and I think most of them would deservedly get one. Then you toss in Spelling Bee, with tight ensemble of standouts, any of whom could get a nomination, and you're at about 15 or 16 featured actress possibilities.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#7re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:34pm

While Ramirez is fine, the Tonys are not goning to pass up awarding an "important" role where and adult plays a mentally challenged person. O'Hara is the front runner.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#8re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:43pm

Tuttle, we're still awaiting the "verdict" on her category, though. Some committees have put Morrison in lead, some in featured, so it's still up in the air since her part is comparable in size and importance to the show. Plus, her prior lack of a nomination in any awards ceremony makes me think she's going to be overlooked (and I still think her contribution to Sweet Smell of Success was vastly superior to the Victoria Clark-centric Piazza).

munkustrap178
#9re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:34pm

The Tony's are not going to pass up awarding an important role?

You are sadly mistaken.

If your logic is so, then why were the following people NOT awarded Tonys:

Tonya Pinkins, CAROLINE OR CHANGE
Antonio Banderas, NINE
Mary Stuart Masterson, NINE
Bernadette Peters, GYPSY

etc. et.c etc.

I'm not going to list all of them. But Elfubuh and Edna Turnblad are HARDLY important roles.

Keli O'Hara will NOT win the Tony.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:38pm

I thought for a long time would Ramirez would win the Tony, but recently, I can see Jan Maxwell winning it.

I don't think O'Hara will win. Depending on where she's placed by the nominators (I expect it will be this category), the nominees will likely be Ramirez, Maxwell, Bolger, O'Hara, and McGovern.

Ultimately, I think Jan Maxwell will take it, though I wouldn't be surprised to see Sarah Ramirez win either.

munkustrap178
#11re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:39pm

I think Sarah Ramirez is a lock.

No one is going to award an acting tony to a fluff musical like CHITTY - that would be embarrasing.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#12re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:44pm

Not to comment on the thread in general, but the title -- Odd Featured Actress IN A MUSICAL Tony Nominees. I think we often forget (myself included) that plays exist...

And I'm doing this to appease another poster who was enraged when he saw this thread.

Now, my 2 cents -- I hear Sara Ramirez is great, vocally...but what is she really acting?

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#13re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:45pm

I still think Ramierez is a strong favorite, but what has happened to her buzz? Is it just that the show opened a while back? Then she didn't get a nomination in one of the other awards.
I think Maxwell is not likely to get nominated for Chitty, for the reasons Munk said.
I go with O'Hara, McGovern, Bolger, Ramierez, and Gleason with Ramierez picking up the win.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

munkustrap178
#14re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 2:21pm

No, I think Maxwell will definitely be nominated - she deserves a nomination.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 2:32pm

Is Chitty any less of a "fluff" piece than Spamalot though?

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#16re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 2:41pm

Adamgreer, I'm going to put meaning in Munk's mouth and say that was sarcasm.

Chitty Profile Photo
Chitty
#17re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 2:51pm

I find it interesting that nobody has commented on the meaning of this thread which is:

When if ever has there been a time when the person who originated a role (Bolger) been nominated in the same year and catagory as the person who played it on Broadway (O'Hara). For those not in the know, they both played/play the character with Bolger doing the out of town "Piazza" and O'Hara doing Broadway.

That's the more interesting question. As for who will be nominated, I really don't care to read all your bitterness. Everyone has their own likes (I vote O'Hara), so get over it.

munkustrap178
#18re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 3:11pm

I must have missed all this bitterness you're referring to...

Plum
#19re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 3:14pm

I'm missing it too, munk. And evidently I'm very sensitive to these things. re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#20re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 3:22pm

Ahuh..noone's heard of my lightning fast mood swings?

O'Hara...
NO!
Raimerez!
NO!
La Manna....yes La Manna....
NO!
IDINA MENZEL...
oops.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#21re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 3:25pm

To answer the initial question...I can think of an instance a la O'Hara/Bolger

In 1994, Jere Shea originated the role of Joe Hardy in the revival of Damn Yankees at the Old Globe in San Diego. When he left the show to do "Passion," Jarrod Emick opened as Joe Hardy on Broadway. Come Tony time, Shea was nominated as a leading actor for "Passion" and Emick as a supporting actor in "Damn Yankees." In case anyone forgot, Shea lost, but Emick won. Guess Shea should have stuck with the role...

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

WayWicked
#22re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/4/05 at 11:07pm

Bur both of these guys were nominated in different catagories.

O'Hara and Bolger will be in the same catagory.

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Chitty Profile Photo
Chitty
#23re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/5/05 at 5:14pm

It's offical...she's featured

RockyRoad Profile Photo
RockyRoad
#24re: Odd Featured Actress Tony Nominees
Posted: 5/5/05 at 7:09pm

Did they issue rulings?

Anyway I think the Tony people would be more happy to award an actress playing an adult/child who's in almost the enrite show rather than a slapstick performance.

Videos