nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#50re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:51am

This just in: Judy Garland still dead.

MusicalComedyMan
#51re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:53am

Upom hearing that Judy is still dead... the gay community is planning a parade later in the month...

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#52re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 11:02am

I'll be at that parade. I'll be the one who looks alarmingly like Joey Luft.

MusicalComedyMan
#53re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 11:05am

I'll be the disco ball that looks alarmingly like Aretha.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#54re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 11:07am

I think it was a terrible song to choose for a Sondheim tribute. Hugh was great but Aretha was just plain embarassing, Queen of Soul or not. They couldn't have chosen something that he actually composed? They should have done a medley sung by actual Broadway actors.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#55re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 11:10am

Musical Comedy Man, this exchange has made my day. I realise that is a sad commentary on my life, but there you have it.

MusicalComedyMan
#56re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 11:12am

I think they should have picked a song by Frank Wilhorn for Aretha to sing for Sondheims 75th Bday Tribute... Imagine Aretha and Hugh singing Someone like you...

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#57re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 1:37pm

Judy had what Aretha doesn't...not only a voice, but the ability to emotionally connect to her audience on a human level. When Judy's voice was gone, her performence was still there. Put Aretha on the stage with no voice in 10 years...all you'll have is a woman standing on stage...real performers are so much more.

I appreciate a good voice as much as the next girl *cough* Linda Eder *cough* but without the performance, it's just pretty notes.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#58re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 1:38pm

And for the record, I think Hugh is pretty boring as well as a performer.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

worrell4077
#59re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 1:39pm

Did anyone notice how nasty Aretha was to Hugh? After he introduced her, he extended his arm to her, and she shrugged him off. She also didn't walk off in the same direction as him. I don't understand how she can be so nasty to someone who is one of the nicest and sweetest celebrities out there.

Also, she was god awful performing that song, I mean back in the day, she had a wonderful voice, but now... I mean come on, she doesn't need to be singing, if her voice is like that. She just another one of the old singers who decide to start their careers up again, when in reality they sound worse than they did when they first emerged.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#60re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 1:43pm

Did Aretha get all the words right??????

bill mobley
#61re: Aretha
Posted: 6/8/05 at 9:12am

I agree, that definitely was the wrong song to choose as a tribute to Sondheim. But think what a disaster it would have been had they chosen "Not getting Married today."
I would love to see one day Nancy Wilson do a "Lady-and-her-Music" type thing on broadway. She is such a wonderful singer. She would have been good singing a tribute to Sondheim. Anyone familiar with Nancy Wilson?

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#62re: Aretha
Posted: 6/10/05 at 8:57am

Well, didn't like her at the Tonys, maybe it was just a bad day for her, but am going to see her tonight at Harrah's in AC on free tickets. Will hopefully enjoy!

lyfeisacabaret
#63re: Aretha
Posted: 6/10/05 at 3:32pm

Just to throw in my two cents... I was personally appauled by Aretha's performance. It was an insult to Stephen Sondheim and the theatre community at large. When one is doing a tribute, he or she must keep in mind that it isn't about his or herself, but the person they are celebrating. The song choice was bizarre, as he did only write the lyrics, and the pairing was awful. Aretha vocalised every line that Hugh would sing in a myriad of riffs, then wait for him to sing the next line so she could do it again. I'm sorry, but it was awful.

And one final comment... her stylist should be fired, she looked awful.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#64re: Aretha
Posted: 6/10/05 at 3:57pm

I happen to LOVE Aretha but she AND Hugh were both terrible and to pick this as a tribute to Sondheim's 75th was just an insult.

This looked like something that was thrown together at the last minute. Sorry, it just wasn't good. But then, neither was most of the rest of the show...so...

"Life is a lesson in humility"

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#65re: Aretha
Posted: 6/10/05 at 4:07pm

That scary nun is right.

Videos