Aretha

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#0Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:47pm

Aretha Franklin just made Hugh Jackman look like an amateur. At least he had the decency to look embarrassed.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#1re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:49pm

You must be kidding.

This is my signature.

jaded_october Profile Photo
jaded_october
#2re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:52pm

the entire time i was just thinking "honey no...."

i dont think she knew the words.

-annie http://www.livejournal.com/users/jadedoctober http://www.myspace.com/jadedoctober

jaded_october
#3re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:53pm

double post

-annie http://www.livejournal.com/users/jadedoctober http://www.myspace.com/jadedoctober
Updated On: 6/5/05 at 10:53 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#4re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:54pm

Why was Aretha even performing at the Tony Awards?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#5re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:00pm

She put out a beautiful rendition of "Somewhere" years ago.

She shouldn't have been paired with Hugh, it was like apples and oranges.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#6re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:01pm

She was awful. That's all I can say.

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#7re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:05pm

That's a joke. I thought she was terrible. Hugh made HER look bad. Good for him for not backing down. She's notorious for trying to upstage anyone she sings with, either by hitting a higher note, holding something out longer...you know, the usual tricks. I could hear him MUCH more clearly, and he held his own...good for him...send her back to the grammy's, the bet awards, whatever...she's not needed here

-Vincent

TTL Profile Photo
TTL
#8re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:06pm

Hugh and Aretha totally butchered the song! Why didn't they have Goulet perform?!?!

Updated On: 6/5/05 at 11:06 PM

jaded_october
#9re: Aretha

their voices are too different. they werent good together at all.

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#10re: Aretha

They were so awkward together. That did not come off well at all.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

onlylisab Profile Photo
onlylisab
#11re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:10pm

Did anyone fail to notice that the tribute to Stephen Sondheim was a song that he only wrote the lyrics for?

Secondly, Bernadette, anyone?

And finally, I was appalled by Aretha's performance (and dress). I'm not particularly a Hugh fan, but he did a great job.

Let the Broadway performers do their jobs! For a special tribute, such as Sondheim's, they should bring in the big guns.

"First up was Max who sang "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" [...] I haven't seen that big of a reaction to a stair descent since Audra left the attic in Ragtime." --Seth Rudetsky

theatreboi11
#12re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:12pm

They were both god aweful! They should have cut that disaster, alogn with Hugh embarrassment of song and dance at the beginning and have made time for the things that the Tony's are about! For instance maybe presenting some technical awards on the telecast instead of making them be second rate and also...i dunno....giving the respect of presenting the life time achievement award! Lets hope that this is Hugh's last year. I think next year Billy Crystal or Megan Mullaly need to host!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

FosseBoi
#13re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:13pm

I TOTALLY agree with the up-stageing comment! OMG! What was with her singing the lyrics AFTER Hugh!?UGHHH!!!! Hugh should have done that by himself! Or have someone ELSE do it!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

DefyGravity23
#14re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:14pm

she wasn't trying to work with him at all!! It was so terrible! I think Hugh was more embarrased that the song was being butchered. He was doing a fine job himself. It was Aretha that was doing all this funky stuff that did NOT work at all. Maybe if she was singing solo it would've been okay. But when people sing a duet they've gotta work together, (meaning not trying to upstage the other person!) or it won't work - which we witnessed tonight.

rent1988
#15re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:15pm

thats EXACTLY what i thought...they were doing a tribute to stephen sondheim, arguably the greatest musical theater composer EVER who has written a number of amazing and award winning scores, and they choose that song? dont get me wrong, its a beautiful piece...but i wouldnt call it a sondheim song.

life is PANDEMONIUM.

jaded_october
#16re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:18pm

"What was with her singing the lyrics AFTER Hugh!?UGHHH!!!!"

my guess is she was waiting for the words to sing, she didnt know what the hell was going on.

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#17re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:21pm

I didn't like the whole deal with the swing drumbeat in the background, as well as Aretha's embellishments. The whole meaning of that song is taken away when you jazz it up. It needs to be sweet and simple to work.

I need to go listen to my Larry now.

HROK?

roquat
#18re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:23pm

She's famous for inserting her own little lyrical riffs into songs...she did it a few years ago when she tried to sing "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miz and shouted, "What the hell is goin' on!" in the middle of the chorus. This was just the same--completely inappropriate

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#19re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:23pm

Theatreboi11 is the only response on here that is worth reading.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#20re: Aretha
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:25pm

Agreed. I was cringing...then again, I hate when beautiful broadway songs are pop-ified (singing with no emotion, except maybe vanity, and doing all these vocal gymnastics.) If you're going to do a tribute, do a tribute.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#21re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:19am

I have tickets to see Aretha at Harrahs on June 10. After hearing her last night (I was at the Tony's) I don't think I want to see her. She sounded absolutely awful! I was very suprised.

november
#22re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:22am

I too, thought Aretha did an awful job

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#23re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:41am

I was there, it wsa definitely the lowlight for me. Should have had Idina sing with Hugh - both Tony winners from last year....

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#24R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:48am

KIDS!!!!!
Aretha is the Queen of Soul. She is one of the greatest pop and soul singers of all time.
Can we please have some R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
I wish she could have sang something that fits her.
RESPECT or something from Hairspray.
They probably brought her there since I have heard she is a shoo in for the Hairspray movie.
Same reason Marissa was there. It is good PR.
ARETHA is incredible, but that song was wrong for her voice.
Oh and Ken, how much do you want for your ticket?

Updated On: 6/6/05 at 08:48 AM

Videos