pixeltracker

Rosario singing - Without You- Page 3

Rosario singing - Without You

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#50re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 4:09pm

Awww....I have missed you too Emcee. **BIG HUG**

And WaxLion is a god among us mortals. Why else would he get away with talking in the third person that much? re: Rosario singing - Without You

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

HouGuy77002
#51re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 4:09pm

I doubt "he" will tell...but are there any guesses out there?

WaxLion please give us a clue who you are, or at least more insider information.. re: Rosario singing - Without You
Updated On: 8/16/05 at 04:09 PM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#52re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 5:46pm

You know what makes me laugh the most? The IGNORANCE that pervades some board members.
They come with this "I don't think Rosario should have been cast in the role of "Mimi" she is not a Broadway performer".
To this I say BullSH!T!
If you really want to think that way then Idina, Anthony, Adam, Wilson, Jesse and Tracie have no business in THE MOVIE. They are primarily known for their work on the stage and in the case of Jesse, television.
It's this way of thinking that reeks of ignorance. So in essence what you are saying is that stage actors should just be cast in stage productions, television actors should only be relegated to television shows and movie actors only to feature films? ACTING is ACTING regardless of whether is on the stage, the screen or on television.

LowLight
#53the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/16/05 at 6:10pm

i can't believe people are forming passionate opinions based on this recording. she sounds dreadful? i can barely hear her at all! i'm holding off til something more substantial comes through.

Theater Reviews & Profiles at www.girlcentric.com

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#54the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/16/05 at 6:17pm

That's exactly my point LowLight. How can someone honestly base a solid opinion on that one recording. Soundtrack should be out next month.

JenD512
#55the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/16/05 at 7:09pm

I agree...how can anyone pass judgment on such a distorted audio of the song?

I think Rosario will be fine (and yes, I saw Daphne as Mimi), she's a good actress. I thought she was terrific in "Sin City."

xrent_headx Profile Photo
xrent_headx
#56the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/16/05 at 10:35pm

i didnt think it too bad the noise in the background didnt help much.. but i really liked the end when adam and anthony start to sing *sighs*

- I might be smart - No day but today

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#57the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/16/05 at 10:42pm

She's not going to be a Daphen, i can tell you that, Daphen has a VERY unique voice. But i've heard this clip before and this clip gave me faith that she was going to make a great Mimi.

showbiz
#58the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 9:14am

Marquise, not ignorance but knowledge.
I see that some of you are RD fans and very sensitive to any criticism, you aren't willing to accept any differing opinions on her, however slight. The movie is based on a musical play, with most of the OBC members which is wonderful. Too bad that a suitable Broadway actor wasn't found for the role of Mimi, there have been several to choose from. I will always side with "real" Broadway actors getting the roles they are intended for. I also was not real happy with the casting of Chicago the movie.
I'm still waiting to hear her sing live, perhaps on tv somewhere. So many tricks can be done with film that one wouldn't be able to get a true feel from the film whether she actually has the voice for Mimi or not.

AngusN
#59the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 10:32am

Exactly. That's the point I was trying to make. If she is the star of the show (which she's not, but that's the way they are publicising the film) let us hear her sing. Since we all know the others can, we've heard them ALL sing live, except for Rosario.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#60the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 10:41am

If you haven't heard her sing, how can you call your opinions ones that are based on "knowledge?" If you don't know whether or not she can sing, that's sure as hell not "knowing," anything, it's being extremely opinionated and stubborn. And honestly, Broadway actors aren't the only people in the world who can sing and act; like I said before, Rosario is young. Who knows? She may have a career in theatre ahead of her. I probably would've rathered some other alumnus of the Broadway show, if not Daphne, take on the part, but we should just give her a chance, no?

I've heard her sing live. She was singing along to a track, but you can still differentiate when you're there in person - she can sing. I'm still holding out to hear Out Tonight, but I'm excited.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#61the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:27am

showbiz you are wrong on so many levels. yes i am a fan of rosario's but that's beside the point. i would have come to the defense of any other actress that would have been cast in this role if i felt she was right for the role REGARDLESS of the fact if she were a Broadway actress or not.

your opinions are not based on knowledge, they have no basis other than being a bad case of sour grapes on your part.
what argument do you *really* have that Rosario is not right for this part? That she hasn't done "BROADWAY"? That's hardly a valid point.

i've posted this before and I will post it again. If you live in the NYC area try to catch Rosario in "TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA", she's required to sing LIVE six performances a week and then come back and let us know if you think she can sing or not.

Why does it have to be about BROADWAY VS. MOVIE actors? ACTORS are ACTORS and this is an ACTING ROLE. That is the point many of you are not getting. If Rosario wasn't right for this role I would definitely agree with many of the things you are saying but I don't.

What you are saying is that it's a movie version of a Broadway show and that only Broadway actors should have been cast.
You have a very limited mind-set. What ever happened to choosing the right person for the role..period?

If every producer though that way look at all the wonderful performances we would have missed out on in movie versions of Broadway musicals. One that comes to mind is Rita Moreno in "West Side Story". She wasn't a Broadway name yet she was cast in the movie version of "West Side Story" and she won an Oscar for it. Would it have been nice to have seen Chita do the role on screen? Yes it would have, but that simply wasn't the case. But it also doesn't mean that Rita shouldn't have been given the opportunity to do the role either. Same goes for Rosario in "RENT".

EDIT: I am through with this debate. It's a done deal. It's a fact you guys are going to have to live with. There's nothing you can do about it but get over it. Updated On: 8/17/05 at 11:27 AM

vbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
#62the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:28am

Why did I think that Karens maid from "Will and Grace" was in a show on Broadway? Color me stupid.

vbplayer ....out.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown

Ad_Libbing
#63the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 11:35am

Going by what's been said by those people who have heard Rosario singing in rehearsals, on a playback, or live in person, I have a feeling that's she's just going to absolutely blow us all away, even if she's never tread the boards, as it were.

Oh, Vbplayer... I think that there were talks regarding one of the actresses from "Will and Grace" performing in a production of "Guys and Dolls" over in London. Perhaps that's what you were thinking about?

"'But do you really mean, sir,' said Peter, 'that there could be other worlds --all over the place, just round the corner-- like that?'

'Nothing is more probable,' said the Professor..."

-The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

#64the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:25pm

I'm wondering where all of the usual critics are. Those who are so hard on Broadway performers yet are giving a pass to this neophyte. It seems all Hollywood types with zero training and zero experience are given a pass here. Even after Rosario admitted on Regis and Kelly that she went out for the "Rent" auditoin "on a lark".

What an insult to Broadway performers. Hollywood can cross over any time they like but just let a Broadway performer show up for a movie audition "on a lark" and see what happens.

But it's easy to get it right on film. "Take 57 -- "Without You"

Try it eight times a week live on Broadway and then let me know what a great singer you are then.

PS If you don't want anyone to judge Rosario negatively on the limited information available, how can you judge her positively on the same info? And if Rosario is such a wonderful vocalist, why are they hiding her like she has the plague? One would think the production company of "Rent the Movie" would have her singing in every venue they could find. But they aren't. That in itself should tell you something.

What are they hiding?

It's obvious from that clip.

luvtheEmcee
#65the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:21pm

I'd like you to consider some of the other cast members for this movie; members of the Original Broadway Cast. Some with little training, and one of whom has said he auditioned for the stage production "on a lark," because someone suggested it and he had nothing better to do at the time - now he's a pretty well-liked Broadway leading man. Perhaps somebody should've looked at him and gone "well, he can sing, but he has no training. No way." And you know what? The theatre community would be missing someone very, very special.

So, like I said before, maybe this "lark" is Rosario's way in to where she just might deserve to be. Let's wait and see. I'm usually not very open to the crossover either, but there are people on board for this film whose judgement I fully, absolutely trust.

And everything's so extreme - if they don't showcase her, it can't just be that they're not showcasing her. It has to be that they're "hiding her like she's the plague." Most of the country, the general movie-going population has no conception of the sets of pipes on the Broadway actors; they're not being "showcased" either. But just because we know they can sing, you'd not accuse *them* of being hidden. My goodness, big statement.

Updated On: 8/17/05 at 02:21 PM

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#66the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:34pm

I wouldn't write her off yet, because Adam didn't sound too good when he came in(and we all know he is!), so it has to be the recording!

luvtheEmcee
#67the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:35pm

I need to hear this recording; if it's the What You Own playback, he sounds brilliant. It's. A. Crappy. Recording.

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#68the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:45pm

Slacker, you've got a lot of gall to come onto these boards and proclaim Rosario an "insult to the broadway community". She might have gone out on the audition "on a lark", but she was CALLED for that audition just like the rest of the cast was. She gave her entire soul into her performance of Mimi Marquez and she FAR exceeded anyone's expectations. She lived the character, she breathed a new life into her and she definitly NEVER shamed or brought any injury or insult to the role. And Wax Lion would like to know exactly how and why you know about any future plans for promoting RENT? Where would you have Ms. Dawson sing? She has already been *very* busy with promotions in AND out of the USA. She will be singing no more or less than any of her costars, even though she is *crazy* busy already between promoting RENT and working on SEVERAL other projects at the same time. Slandering a woman who worked her *ass* off is no way to represent yourself here. All Wax Lion asks is that you have some faith, aight? You would be surprised as to who's looking at these boards. "Let he among us without sin, be the first to condemn..."

Love,
Wax Lion
Updated On: 8/17/05 at 03:45 PM

Ad_Libbing
#69the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:47pm

Bangerang, Wax Lion.

"'But do you really mean, sir,' said Peter, 'that there could be other worlds --all over the place, just round the corner-- like that?'

luvtheEmcee
#70the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:48pm

*claps for Wax Lion*

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#71the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:51pm

Emcee,

Thanks, but Wax Lion doesn't need help down from his soap box yet. The guns are out and he's fired up. Don't nobody mess with his good friend Ro.

Love,
Wax Lion

luvtheEmcee
#72the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:52pm

*holds soapbox still so Wax Lion doesn't fall off*

Rant away, sir!

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#73the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:55pm

...and to think that people are calling Ro out on incompetance before they even see the actual performance?! Wax Lion is still REELING from this!! He needs to go to the mojito thread asap...

Love,
Wax Lion

Ad_Libbing
#74the biggest problem i have...
Posted: 8/17/05 at 3:59pm

Hear ye, hear ye! Wax Lion rants today!

Videos