Rosario singing - Without You

AngusN
#0Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 1:43pm

This may be a little dated, but have you heard Rosario singing 'Without You'.

http://rosario-dawson.net/media
(then click on Without You at the bottom)

There is a lot of background noise, but it does get better. I am scared, she sounds dreadful. It sounds like she is just singing the notes, without a care for the words and emotions being conveyed.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 1:44pm

I can't play that clip right now, but I heard the playback from the soundtrack, and I thought it was gorgeous. The recording I found is one that loops twice; the first time there's too much background noise to hear how beautiful it is. Maybe that's the one.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#2re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 1:49pm

I think she sounds beautiful. There's such a purity to her voice. Of course she doesn't sound as unique as Daphne... but who does?

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

AngusN
#3re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 1:54pm

It's not about having a unique voice, it's about conveying the raw emotion of the part. Mimi is at once vulnerable, fragile, and naive, but coarse and flirtatious at the same time. I don't hear that in Rosario's voice.

luvtheEmcee
#4re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 1:56pm

You don't hear vulnerability? I sure did. She doesn't have that raspiness Daphne does; that doesn't mean her emotions won't be conveyed, albeit differently.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#5re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 1:58pm

You don't hear that in Rosario's voice from one measly, poorly recorded sound bite posted on the internet? Get back to me when the soundtrack is released. Better yet, if you're in NYC go see her in "TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA" where she's required to sing LIVE for six performances a week.

Funny how a performer who some on this board are so quick to write off as a "non-singer" gets cast in two high profile musical productions back-to-back.
Updated On: 8/16/05 at 01:58 PM

AngusN
#6re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:02pm

Funny that, isn't it Marquise? Nothing to do with the amount of publicity they are generating off the back of Rent? Of course not!
Updated On: 8/16/05 at 02:02 PM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#7re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:11pm

Like I said Angus, go see her in "Two Gents" and hear her sing live then maybe I'll respect your opinion more.

I don't think Shakespeare in the Park needs any publicity off a movie or any other project for that matter. It's been doing well on it's own for many, many years.
Updated On: 8/16/05 at 02:11 PM

AngusN
#8re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:16pm

She may sing exceedingly well in 'Two Gents'. Sarah Brightman sings exceptionally well in Phantom, but that doesn't mean she'd make a great Mimi. I am just concerned that her voice is not suitable for the role. But, like someone pointed out, I'll reserve my whole-hearted judgement until I have seen the film, then we can continue this conversation with greater depth.

luvtheEmcee
#9re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:17pm

I don't understand why there's so much doubt that she can handle this; I can understand there being doubt that she may not be as great or as definitive as Daphne was - but with the amount of people screen-tested for that part, don't you have any trust whatsoever of the creative team's judgement?

Updated On: 8/16/05 at 02:17 PM

gavrochegirl
#10re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:22pm

I couldn't hear a lot of that...but the little bits that I heard were pretty good. Can't wait for this movieeeeeee.

What the puck?!

cudramacat
#11re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:26pm

I think the Rosario sounds really good! Can't wait for November!

"Life has been your art. You have set yourself to music. Your days are your sonnets." -Oscar Wilde

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#12re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:28pm

emcee, this doesn't surprise me in the least. first, no one's really seen her in anything musical outside of "josie and the ****cats" (of which she played a minor part vocally), then add to that the fact she didn't originate the role on the stage and people are just used to hearing daphne in the role which causes people to refuse to accept anyone else in the role much less in a movie that features almost all of the original cast.

people automatically jump to conclusions based on little known facts without giving the performer in question (in this case rosario) the benefit of the doubt or the producers enough credit to be smart enough to cast the best possible actor in the role.

it happens all the time.

doesn't surprise me at all.

we'll see come september 27th and then again november 11th.

i think i'll have alot of "i told you so's" to post then.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#13re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:29pm

Marquise, have I told you lately that I love you?

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

luvtheEmcee
#14re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:29pm

aw, no! The name of the movie got censored!

Well, Rosario is young. And if we never gave a chance to young, new performers... what would we have? Nothing.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#15re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:30pm

No you haven't Carl and I was seriously beginning to worry papi. re: Rosario singing - Without You

Carl Magnum
#16re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:31pm

After the Workout thread yesterday was when I realized.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#17re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:32pm

re: Rosario singing - Without You It's all good. . . better late than never.

Carl Magnum
#18re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:36pm

....I love it when you call me big papi

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#19re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:37pm

LOL! re: Rosario singing - Without You

AngusN
#20re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:50pm

Oh Marquise, I have never heard Rosario sing in anything else, so I came with an open mind, and certainly no pre-conceived ideas about what to expect.
As for the 'little known facts' that I allegedly based my opinion on. I think you'll find that it is a recording of her singing (albeit a poor recording) one of the most effective and passionate songs in the show, that I have based my opinion on.
I don't think Daphne's version of the role is the definitive one never to be surpassed, and for one am very pleased that she wasn't cast in the role (only because of her age).
As for trusting the producers, no I don't actually. Producers have made many mistakes in the past when it comes to casting, Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins comes to mind. Many people said that Bernie was mis-cast in Gypsy (not that I think she was).
One question I feel has been answered from hearing this snipet of music is ... Why is Rosario being billed as the star of the show and they've not showcased her voice, yet they have Tracie's?

luvtheEmcee
#21re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:53pm

A simple answer to the final question - because Seasons of Love is RENT's "anthem," and probably its most marketable song. Tracie's got the solo. I can't ever see giving Mimi the solo - even if they needed a way to showcase the "star's" voice. Let it all be a surprise.

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#22re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:53pm

She sounds really good. And I totally hear a lot of vulnerability in her voice. And you're saying you don't hear it, maybe she was just rehearsing. You don't know. Don't jump to conclusions. If you listen to what everyone else says, they say she's good. INCLUDING THE CAST.

Anthony on Access Hollywood:
Newscaster:Can Rosario sing?
Anthony:Hell yeah she can. She can sing her ass off.

If they have faith in her, and believed in her, we have to, too. Just .. stop worrying. Wait until you hear more.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#23re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 2:57pm

What did that come from? I can barely hear what's going on and then there's some of What You Own at the end...

bella cantato
#24re: Rosario singing - Without You
Posted: 8/16/05 at 3:00pm

For musicals-- sure, there has been a lot of bad casting of people who are not trained singers. I'm going to voice my distaste for a recent musical that just came out of which I think the casting was... lacking.

However, I have faith in Rosario. Sure, there will be people who don't like her in the role, just there might even be people who won't like Idina as Maureen, or Wilson as Angel. (YES, it's possible people!) There are a lot of people in this world who have very strong opinions about things. Angus, you are entitled to yours. But I do recommend that you back off the shots at Ro until you see her in the big screen. Give her another chance. Do NOT base your entire view of whether she was miscast off of one crappy audio of about 20 seconds of one song. And in November if you still don't like her, then maybe we'll all respect your opinion. But for now? It just doesn't seem valid, with all due respect.

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

Videos