pixeltracker

Poll: Female Broadway Legends- Page 3

Poll: Female Broadway Legends

#50Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:13pm

Jerry we are speaking of Broadway legends. The fact that you need to know the names of performers on Broadway is a given.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#51Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:19pm

kjklo-

"Jusy, Liza, Barbra, and Bette. These are names I shan't forget." comes from Will & Grace. Just a little quote.

This is my signature.

holdmetouchme Profile Photo
holdmetouchme
#52Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:21pm

And don't forget the great Barbara Cook.

Perhaps it was not a dream.

kjklo
#53Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:22pm

Okay, mystery explained. Thanks Aigoo.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#54Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:28pm

As for the person talking about Kristin C.- I DO think she has potential to become a Broadway legend IF she strays away from the same "blonde" parts. However, I actually think she'll soon become a Hollywood celebrity.

hypertruffle
#55Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 3:35pm

The Merm and Chita Rivera.

Hushpuppy-You are my favorite person today. Don't forget, even some Broadway Legends had a flop or two...'Happy Hunting' anyone?

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

bwayboi4life42 Profile Photo
bwayboi4life42
#56Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 4:08pm

Patti LuPone is a goddess. Love her!!!

"I believe that art does not exist only to entertain, but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth." - Barbra Streisand

kate2
#57Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:21pm

JULIE

Jerry2
#58Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:21pm

Really? so how many actors that you want to count as "broadway legends" are known to wide public? I am not talking about "American Idol" audience but nevertheless...
Can some even very talented actors with great career count as legend if he or she is known only to narrow circle of theater fans and critics? Great actors,maybe, but legends?
I think status of being "legend" considers wide recognition of your work,plus the rare star quality that helps to turn even a flop show into memorable event.

#59Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:37pm

So if I understand you correctly, and amazingly enough I think I do, a theatre legend cannot be a legend unless his/her fame reaches outside of the theatre going public? Updated On: 8/20/05 at 06:37 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#60Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:41pm

Those of you who insist on posting only the first name Julie - have you not noticed there are TWO possibilities already named on the thread? Yours is either one of those two or a perhaps even a completely different Julie, for all we know.

Please post last names when there is more than one possibility.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

PerforMeg Profile Photo
PerforMeg
#61Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 12:05am

All of the above-I consider a legend to be someone who sticks to who they are and does not conform to a "type".

Audra will be a legend imo-she will go down in history as being one of the only females out there right now who does not have to belt her face off to be considered talented. Not that there is anything wrong with belting, but you have to admit what she does it very different from what many women on Broadway are doing now.

That being said, if you can belt with heart and soul, like Patti, Barbra, Bernadette, Liza, etc., you are golden in my book.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#62Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 12:24am

Judy

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

stylinbohemian
#63Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 12:29am

Ethel Merman

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#64Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 12:29am

Mrs. Andrews

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

Jerry2
#65Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:39am

In someway ,yes.Actors the only type of artists which getting their full recognition during their life time and if a great ones aren't known enough to be a major star atraction for all kind of audiences (not only theater lovers)-I doubt that they will end up being called "Legends" in twenty years...Sure for all rules there are few exceptions and Of course Chita counts as a legend,but it took her many years to get her own "KOTSW" star show...At the same time Liza did very few broadway shows,but most (non theater)people would name her as "broadway legend"...Two different careers with same result.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#66Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:42am

Gwen Verdon (ofcourse. The ultimate triple threat!)
Chita Rivera
Gertrude Lawrence

I can see several years from now adding Ann Reinking to my list, a another true triple threat in the style of Gwen!
Updated On: 8/21/05 at 01:42 AM

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#67Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 2:54am

hypertruffle: thanks for the kind words. For the record, 'Happy Hunting' was not a flop. It was a lousy show but it made a profit. Merman never had a show that lost money, hence: no flops

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#68Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:02am

Alfieboy, She's Ms. Andrews or Mrs. Edwards, not Mrs. Andrews. That would be Julie's mother.

ConvinceMe2 Profile Photo
ConvinceMe2
#69Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 11:21am

Bette? Who is that? What legendary Broadway role was created by this Bette?

Julie Andrews, naturally!

ConvinceMe2 is dead. Long live BrendanStryker!

Sant
#70Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:04pm

Julie Andrews
Chita Rivera
Ethel Merman

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#71Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 3:05pm

gertrude lawrence appeared in both musicals and plays. ethel waters also starred in musicals and plays -- and was a phenomenal talent. she was carol channing's inspiration to become a performer. katherine cornell, eva la gallienne, lynn fontanne, helen hayes, shirley booth, tallulah bankhead, ruth gordon -- all women of great artistry (in most cases) and renown. great books by them or written about them. mary martin had such a rich voice in her younger days--the recordings of her singing songs from One Touch of Venus are very sexy.

Mind is Mantra.

kate2
#72Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/21/05 at 7:19pm

NO COMPETITION.... JULIE ANDREWS she pretty much owns theater and everything related to it

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#73Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:31am

I can see calling Julie a legend.

But since the 50's she has only done 4 Broadway shows.

Not nearly as many as other Broadway female legends.

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#74Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:36am

It seems to me that the only person who satisfies all or most every one's interpretations of "legend" is Ethel Merman. She originated many wonderful roles, she always "found her way back to the stage", and for the most part (at least more than most of the other women mentioned) she achieved some reknown outside of the theatre world. (Hell, she had to be well-known enough to have been spoofed in Airplane!)

And what about the men?
Rex Harrison! Zero Mostel! John Raitt! Joel Grey!

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

Videos