pixeltracker

Wicked did not win a Tony???- Page 3

Wicked did not win a Tony???

ThatsBarfee
#50re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/4/05 at 9:40pm

Plain and simple, Avenue Q at the time was by far the better musical, but Wicked will stand the test of time and by far be the greater musical when all is said and done.

Urban
#51re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 12:52am

"Wicked"? Legendary? I see "Wicked" going down the same path as "Grease" if it goes down any path at all, and in a few years become a hollow charicature of itself.

elphaba610
#52re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 12:59am

For you're information Captin Oblivious, if you knew how to read properly I said that I saw Wicked last week. I love how you base things on your stupid ignorance!

WickedJerseyGirl Profile Photo
WickedJerseyGirl
#53re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:04am

Elphaba, you are really pushing those of us that are trying to be nice to you. I had already told Captain Obvious that you saw the show. People are not going to be nice to you if you continue responding to slight negativity with toxicity.

Idina: This is called a kielbasa! Pianist: It's called a 'KA-basa'... Idina: It's called a kabasa? Oh, a KIEL-basa's a sausage, isn't it? I CAN PLAY THAT TOO! HULLO!!
Updated On: 9/5/05 at 01:04 AM

Urban
#54re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:06am

Welcome to the site elphaba610, if you liked "Wicked" you will love practically everything on Broadway at the moment. Think of "Wicked" as the entreé or the soup de jour and then you will start on the main banquet. Trust me you are going to have the time of your life with some of these other shows. This is an adventure you'll love.

Edit - Coding Updated On: 9/5/05 at 01:06 AM

BSoBW2
#55re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:07am

We use HTML here, Urban.

elphaba610
#56re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:21am

WickedJerseyGirl, I appreciate everything you have done for me. But for the past 2 days since I have been on this board I have only gotten attacked. Why??? Because I posted something about wicked??? And as i look at previous topics about wicked it appears that i am not the only one who gets attacked. What angers me is that whenever someone posts something about light in the pizza(which has more posts than wicked) they dont get attacked for it. I am not going to stand by while people attack me for posting something. Its just not right. Maybe this will encourage other wicked fans to stand up for themselves. We do not have to take this abuse. The more threads I read the more curious I get about broadway and not just wicked. But I refuse, I REFUSE, to be intimidated by other people on this board. I will post what I want, when i want and no one is going to discourage me from doing so!

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#57re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:25am

your bravado is pointless... people on this board are always going to be mean, get over it.

elphaba610
#58re: Wicked did not win a Tony???
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:34am

I don't have to. Im not the kind of person to take crap from anyone. If someone wants to start with me, I will get right up in their face and tell them to get a LIFE!!!. Maybe people will learn not to attack others for posting something about Wicked! IF they are always going to attack me I will fight right back. I will continue to post stuff about wicked or any other topic I see fit. It is my right as a member of this discussion board to post what I want. I dont have to get over nothing. Maybe you should get over yourself! Get a life!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#59Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:55am

Just to clear this up, AVENUE Q opened in July 2003 to mostly favourable reviews. WICKED opened in October to mixed and many unfavourable reviews.

IF the Tony had not gone to AVE Q it would most likely have gone to CAROLINE. WICKED was probably third choice. Only BOY FROM OZ seemed less likely to get the Tony as Best Musical.
Most people predicting the Tonys picked Q that year.

AVE Q also won Best Book, and Best Score. (Sometimes a show wins Best Book and Best Score but a different show is named Best Musical. But not often.)

So it had the critics behind it. The Broadway community was behind it. The campaign "Vote Your Heart" helped a bit as did the road presenters who saw it as a low-cost show to tour (as opposed to the very expensive WICKED.) So all these factors came together and ensured a Tony win.

In the end it doesn’t matter. AVENUE Q continues to thrive now in its 3rd year. WICKED continues to sell well and attract new audiences, though I do get concerned when someone sees it, likes it and keeps going back to see it over and over instead of seeing other shows that they might like even more. Then even though it is one of the very few shows they have seen they come here and start threads like "WIKKED IS THE BEZZZT SHOW EVAH!!!" The shear number of new threads this one show generates each day becomes nauseating and turns casual fans against it and they start posting comments like "WICKED sucks." Well, it doesn't suck but it also is far from being one of the best shows on Broadway.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Urban
#60Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 2:32am

elphaba610 - I think the problem alot of posters on this board have is not with "Wicked" but with some of the fan girls that use to post here. Especially at the height of the show when Idina and Kristen where still in it. You see alot of those fan girls where just plan evil and nasty, basically claiming "Wicked" is the best thing ever and every other show is crap in comparison (that is just the general gist of it). Basically it turned a hell of alot of board members against "Wicked" even if they had no actual issue with the show.

I am sure if BroadwayWorld.com existed 10 years ago we'd be having the exact same discussion with "RENT" in place of "Wicked". Admittedly in the days of yore I was a lurker and not a poster but I got sick of some of the real nasty and vial stuff that surrounded alot of the Wicklyn fan wars. And not just show bashings but stuff where half the threads posted where about Wicked this, Idina or Kristen that. I mean when threads talking about Sondheim or Kander & Ebbs got knocked to second page within an hour while threads about Kristen's wigs or Idina's undies dominated the first page... and more imporantly it was the 30th thread about the said subject... Thus I think people jumped down your throat thinking you where trying to restart the fan war. Obviously you where not and are just an innocent newbie.
Updated On: 9/5/05 at 02:32 AM

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#61Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 3:25am

Wicked and Q were neck and neck for Tony-ness. They both deserved quite a few, but there weren't enough to go around.

Despite the incredible fan base, Wicked's early reviews killed it Tony-wise. The critics ripped it to shreds.

I think there was also a slight little bias towards Q because of the "George Bush...Is only for now." line, and the overall liberalness of the show.

I would have liked to see Wicked win, but Ave Q definately deserved some recognition.

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#62Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 10:31am

Frontrowcenter, you are my HERO. I have never seen anyone phrase things regarding Wicked and such so well. Thank you. Tony Awards

I very much agree with what you said.

I also personally feel that Avenue Q was something new and innovative (and even controversial) and deserved recognition for that, whereas Wicked, while it was enjoyable, was less original with a pop-score (as opposed to a Sesame Street Score :-P) and safe.

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#63Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 12:01pm

If the Q campaign and promise of a touring production did not work, Wicked would have won. Trust me!

Just give the world Love.

elphaba610
#64Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 6:36pm

I still think it should have won a tony

elphaba610
#65Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 6:36pm

I still think it should have won a tony

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#66Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 6:41pm

Why do you think it should have won? Did you see AVE Q or CAROLINE or BOY FROM OZ? Compared to AVE Q and CAROLINE, WICKED was a distant 3rd place.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#67Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 6:44pm

Elphaba610: part of a discussion is supporting your opinions.

theatrebabe
#68Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 6:51pm

Man,I really wish I could have seen Ave. Q! Or that I could see it,but that's not happening anytime soon. *sigh*

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#69Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 6:53pm

Well now Avenue Q is playing on both coasts...more chances to see it.

Be the change you want in the world....

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#70Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 7:13pm

I thought Caroline was the stronger show, but was happy with Avenue Q winning it.

theatrebabe
#71Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 7:15pm

Yea but I live in middle.

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#72Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 7:21pm

Oh sorry!

Be the change you want in the world....

unnaturallygreen
#73Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 7:38pm

i liked wicked a lot too and was very shocked and angry it didnt win... but then i came to realize that the show isnt as good as i thought...not to mention avenue Q is one of the most original shows to hit broadway in a long while... personally i think wicked has the success that it has b/c it appeals to younger audiences and it creates hype... dont get me wrong, wicked is quite original too, but seriously, i'm beginning to dislike the score itself... i'd never go back to see the show unless it had the original cast that MADE the show what it is today HENCE: idina menzel won tony for best actress, but the show didnt win best musical

elphaba610- i'm interested to hear what makes you think it should have won the tony
Updated On: 9/5/05 at 07:38 PM

WickedJerseyGirl Profile Photo
WickedJerseyGirl
#74Tony Awards
Posted: 9/5/05 at 7:42pm

Elphaba610 saw Wicked last week for the first time. She didn't see any of the other nominees.

Please don't feed the animals.

Idina: This is called a kielbasa! Pianist: It's called a 'KA-basa'... Idina: It's called a kabasa? Oh, a KIEL-basa's a sausage, isn't it? I CAN PLAY THAT TOO! HULLO!!

Videos