News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Worst Tony's Ever?

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#50re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:21pm

I liked it. Anyone who says it "was the worst ever" hasn't seen too many. I can remember some really bad ones, how about 2003? The trouble with all awards shows is that by the end of the night they've worn out their welcome. You just want the numbers and the awards, most of the winners are incoherent and unprepared and generally prattle on about nothing. That said, it is still better viewing than the Oscars, no?

MargoChanning
#51re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:40pm

Yes, anyone who calls any recent show "the worst ever" doesn't remember the painfully terrible, cheesy years with Susan Anton/Tom Wopat/Rex Smith in the mid-80s. They made my eyes and ears bleed.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#52re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:42pm

I wasn't even alive, so fortunately I missed that one.

This was my first time attending, and even though I didn't like the picks, it was a really wonderful evening that I'll always treasure. Being in that beautiful room with so many of my heroes, watching some great performances...

Dollypop
#53re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:49pm

Was it the 25th anniversary of the Tony awards when they brought back so many original cast members of Tony Award-winning shows? That was the most magical evening ever! I did an audio tape of it and that tape is somewhere in this house.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

MargoChanning
#54re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:01pm

Yeah, they had the original stars from (I think) every Tony winning musical to that point perform a big number from their show and it was amazing. Several of those clips are preserved on the Broadway's Lost Treasures series.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 11:01 PM

JOJO249
#55re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:29pm

I will agree that the opening number was boring and seemed like he was always behind in the lyrics. However I do not feel it was the worst show ever there are two tony award shows that stick in my mind one was when Bernadette Peters and Liza did the opening number with the cast of forum.And most recently I believe before Hugh took over hosting there was a year when they had several stars do the opening number and at the ned no one knew how tog et off the stage. I did not miss not having a host i felt the show was actually clean looking and fast paced for an awards show to me is good. I think they shold keep the show at Radio City so that fans if they can afford it can go see it. Hopefully next year they will put together some number like one night only the year Hugh hosted.

DG
#56re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:10am

Just one take on the whole 'how can one musical win best book and lyrics and not win the best musical' question:

Best book and lyrics should be given to the actual bones of the piece - the thing the creators of the production are given to work with. If you win these awards, it says you have created the best piece for theatrical ventures to produce.

If you win best musical, it says you had the best production of a musical in that year - presumably taking into consideration what you had to work with.

I think that also explains the situation with the best revival award this year. SWEENEY set its goals extremely high, and only partially achieved them, by many accounts. PAJAMA more succinctly attained its intent, and thus the award.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#57re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:38am

Bless you, Margo Channing!

How about when Tom Wopat, Susan Anton and Dorothy Loudon and someone else (Sandy Duncan?) did a bit from "Nicholas Nickleby"?!?!

Though I do belive that the worst Tony's ever was 1985. The year after "La Cage" beat out "Sunday in the Park with George".

The nominees were "Big River", "Grind," "Quilters" and "Leader of the Pack" Following the terrific tributes to Sondheim, Kander and Ebb, and Jerry Herman the year before, they paid tribute to Andrew Lloyd-Webber, Julie Styne and Cy Coleman. Even though none of them had a show opening that year. There was a lousy dance danced to the overture to "Gypsy". Stephanie Powers singing "Our Private World" and nothing special from Lloyd-Webber.

At the end of the show, they had a song from each of the new shows that the three were working on. Maureen McGovern sang a song from "Song and Dance" that I do belive was not used in the show in America. The songs from the Cy Coleman and Julie Styne shows never got produced.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

ZONEACE
#58re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 10:59pm

Ok, I realize they were more than a week ago, but I've been away from the Internet for 2 weeks (oddly enough in NYC) and I couldn't find a general Tony Discussion thread, and most of the things i have to say are negative, so I decided to post here.

First, Yes, the opening number was weak, but Harry was in emmense amounts of pain (he looked really terrible during the rehearsal).

Next, It is still beyond me how Sweeney didn't get a single Technical Nomination (especially for lighting).

Awake and Sing had better lighting than History Boys, but Both were great. Same goes for Scenic Design.

Zoe Wannamaker Should have won (but Frances was delightful)

Again, how a show can win Book and Score and not win Best Musical is beyond comprehension.

Sweeney was screwed for Revival.

While Ian McDiarmid's performance was the only supporting Actor i didn't see, and thus i can't comment on HIS performance, I think it's probable Samuel Barnett was robbed.

Now some positives

I don't think I could have made a descision in the bEst Director of a Play category had I been one of the voters because, while i didn't see Rabbit Hole, the direction of the Other three plays was superb, and well, Daniel Sullivan is Daniel Sullivan.

History Boys was an amazing play (i didn't rave for Inishmore nearly as much as other people i spoke to that saw it)

ok thats all.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

eatlasagna
#59re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 2:17am

you know... not that i have a problem with john tartaglia... haven't seen him in Ave. Q but i do like him on the CD... but why did he have to come back and do Rod again... didn't he do it last year after he left the show just to do another thing with Hugh or whatever... kinda lame in my opinion... and just to be annoying... you don't see freaking WICKED coming back for the past two years trying to be on the Tonys or Idina as Elphaba on stage...

thevolleyballer
#60re: Worst Tony's Ever?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 3:41am

I watched last year's Tony's and the year before's over and over again on VHS. This year I have TiVo, and so I would think it'd be much easier to rewatch it. The only problem is, I saw it once, and basically, I'm done. The performances weren't as captivating as they have been before, and there were no fun little segments (Kristin in a bubble, John Tartaglia/Rod having fun with Hugh Jackman) that require a host. I definitely always thought having a host was stupid for these awards shows, since there are presenters to do all the work, but really, a host is definitely a necessity.

Videos