pixeltracker

Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?- Page 3

Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?

neddyfrank2
#50re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:10pm

What is the Big Six!?

husk_charmer
#51re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:10pm

Ironically, Kelly isn't a Leo. Her birthday is Feb. 28, same as Bernadette Peters.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#52re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:13pm

Well somebody in that big ass transcript says "I'm a Leo and the rest of the Zodiac better watch out!" :)

It's actually sometimes hard to tell who said what - they were obviously more concerned with getting the content down than being exact about who said it.

BSoBW2
#53re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:15pm

neddy, look two posts up.

neddyfrank2
#54re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:17pm

Ironically, Kelly isn't a Leo. Her birthday is Feb. 28, same as Bernadette Peters.

Michael Bennett
#55re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:17pm

And of course, unlike the actual show - during the recorded sessions people are actually talking back and forth. There actually is about 15 pages of discussion about THE RED SHOES!

ashley0139
#56re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:21pm

It's actually sometimes hard to tell who said what - they were obviously more concerned with getting the content down than being exact about who said it.

Wasn't it Donna who had the story about her father not being there and pretending he was an indian chief? He was in WWII or something? Am I making that up?

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#57re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:24pm

"Wasn't it Donna who had the story about her father not being there and pretending he was an indian chief? He was in WWII or something? Am I making that up?"

The Indian chief story is Donna's. Parts of Maggie are based on her as well.

Michael Bennett
#58re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:25pm

Yes - the two pieces that are more or less intact from the recording sessions are Donna's fantasy about her father being an Indian chief and asking her to dance and most of Nicholas Dante's story which became Paul's monologue.

The rest is kind of like searching for one liners in a phone book. Sometimes it is neat though to, for example, read Bishop (I do believe it is Bishop) talk about going up a "steep and narrow stairway" to get to her danceclass.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#59re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:29pm

Actually, the character with the most pieces of Donna's life is Maggie. In fact, Maggie WAS Donna's character at the very beginning and her bit of "Ballet" is all Donna. Cassie was developed later on in needing some sort of new dynamic that would involve Zach emotionally. Cassie is probably the most fictionalized character in the show. So she switched to the bigger part, and Kay Cole came in to play Maggie. One of Cole's main contributions to the piece was in inspiring Hamlisch to write the "Mother" chanty in the montage, having mentioned that she was part Irish.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

ashley0139
#60re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:31pm

MB- I'm quite jealous you got to read those. Though it sounds tedious, I would imagine it's neat to come across something like that.

A little OT, but the harmonies on that line (up a steep and very narrow stairway) are some of my favorites in musical theatre.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 2/7/07 at 11:31 PM

husk_charmer
#61re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:34pm

I am def. jealous too.

neddyfrank2
#62re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:35pm

MB- How could one get a hold of them?

husk_charmer
#63re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:36pm

AS he said earlier, the Lincoln Center probably has copies that you can read.

neddyfrank2
#64re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:38pm

Yes but I live about as far away from the Lincoln Center you can get in the USA (with the exception of Hawaii).

husk_charmer
#65re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:40pm

So do I...so I just get to wait until I can travel up there. Which, for "A Chorus Line" the wait is worth it.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#66re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:45pm

F*ck the RED SHOES.

This all just shows the talent of Michael Bennet
and how the Broadway scene would have developed
if AIDS had not ravished it.
AMEN

husk_charmer
#67re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/7/07 at 11:47pm

*Moment of Silence*

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#68re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:41am

so, was Simon ever given any official writing credits? Of did he choose to remain anonymous?

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Michael Bennett
#69re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:44am

Simon did it as a favor to Michael Bennett - they had worked together on PROMISES PROMISES. I don't think they ever really discussed payment or credit, but I guess Simon was a little surprised that Bennett's thank you gift for Simon's contribution was a pair of satin pillow cases. Bizarre.

Gothampc
#70re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 1:15pm

Simon says in his autobio that he was never compensated for his work on ACL.

Pam Blair once said in an interview that Simon had written some extra material for Val and Pam was glad when Bennett cut it because she didn't like it.

I always thought it was interesting that the creative team wasn't getting the expected reaction from the song "Dance Ten, Looks Three". It was originally in the Playbill as "Tits and Ass" and the creative team realized they were giving away the punchline, so they renamed it "Dance Ten, Looks Three".

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

husk_charmer
#71re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 1:16pm

I like that they also seem to think that "Let Me Dance For You" was NOT written for the film but "Who Am I Anyway?" was...(See the DVD featurette with Hamlisch if you doubt me)

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#72re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 1:25pm

Simon was interviewed in THE LONGEST LINE about his contributions, and he said Michael Bennett gave him a very strange gift in thanks ... a pair of pillowcases (satin, I believe). On a subsequent Simon show, Simon asked Bennett for some assistance (thinking it would be complimentary since Simon contributed his work for free on ACL), and Bennett charged him for his services! I think THE LONGEST LINE is the only ACL book where Simon was actually interviewed.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#73re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 1:29pm

And Vincente Minnelli. And Tommy Tune.

And me. ;-}

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#74re: Who made Bennett change the ACL ending?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 2:52pm

"Ironically, Kelly isn't a Leo. Her birthday is Feb. 28, same as Bernadette Peters."

Yes but she did state that she said "the rest of the Zodiac better watch out". In "On The Line" it says that they changed her birthday and she chose to be a Leo because that is a strong sign as well.

And this is indeed the most fascinating thread I've read in a while. And I LOVE Kelly Bishop. I would have picked Sheila over Cassie every time!!

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
Updated On: 2/8/07 at 02:52 PM

Videos