pixeltracker

Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film- Page 3

Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#50re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:24pm

I echo the feelings of MB and others with this casting rumor. I love Meryl Streep, love her off-stage persona (as seen through the media of course, never met her in real person), and find her to be admirable in every one of the films I've seen her in; however, must she really be attached to every role of a certain age? I'm glad that an actress her age is getting role after role because some other very talented actress have not had the same luck, but casting her as Sister Aloysius is too easy and too obvious. I'd have liked to see Diane Keaton taking a halt from the old overprotective mom roles that are getting a bit tiring and sinking her teeth in this material.
Love the Matt Damon, Anna Paquin, Angela Bassett, Alfre Woodward ideas though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

DG
#51re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:29pm

The Ant Bully (2006) (voice) .... Queen Ant
The Devil Wears Prada (2006) .... Miranda Priestly
The Music of Regret (2006) .... The Woman
A Prairie Home Companion (2006) .... Yolanda Johnson
Prime (2005) .... Lisa Metzger
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004) .... Aunt Josephine
... aka Lemony Snicket - Rätselhafte Ereignisse (Germany)
The Manchurian Candidate (2004) .... Eleanor Shaw
"Angels in America" (2003) (mini) TV Series .... The Rabbi/Hannah Pitt/Ethel Rosenberg/The Angel of Australia
The Hours (2002) .... Clarissa Vaughan
Adaptation. (2002)

Meryl had 2 releases in '02 - both of which were ensemble pieces (and neither really main-stream.)
1 release in '03 - which was for cable.
2 in '04 - which were for COMPLETELY different demographics.
1 in '05
And of the 4 in 'o6, one was only voice work, one no one heard of or saw, one was completely ensemble - and then the ONE film that everyone has talked about connected with her.

One film in the last 4 years that had everyone talking about HER - and only 10 projects total in 4 years (with all of the above qualifiers.)

I'm sorry - where's the Meryl backlash coming from? Based on what? If you don't like her to begin with, that's one thing - but what's all the overexposure talk based on?
Updated On: 2/19/07 at 01:29 PM

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#52re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:40pm

actually, i'm having a hard time picturing this.. but with that said, there is no doubt [no pun intended] in my mind that she will do a great job. i hope.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#53re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:42pm

Thank you DG, exactly. She's a great actress, and with 200 or more movies every year, her being in 2 or 3 is not overexposure. She has settled into a nice run of ensemble roles, and is thought of as the star of some of these films based on her name, not the size of her role. And she's still picking great parts, because, outside of Prime, all these films did well critically.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#54re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:45pm

Well, I think it comes from the fact that most of the people on this board know that in addition to what you site from the IMDB, Streep is "on board" for a slew of other movies:

First Man (200re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film (announced) .... The President
Wanted (2007) (announced)
Dirty Tricks (200re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film (pre-production) .... Martha Mitchell
Chaos (200re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film (pre-production)
The Last Station (200re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film (pre-production)
Mamma Mia! (200re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film (pre-production) .... Donna
Lions for Lambs (2007) (filming)
Rendition (2007/I) (filming)
Evening (2007) (post-production) .... Lila Wittenborn
Dark Matter (2007) .... Joanna Silver

And you can add to this: DOUBT.

DG
#55re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:46pm

I guess I can understand a reaction to her name being attached to a lot that's in current or future production, but that really doesn't have any relation to what the future release schedule will end up being.

DG
#56re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:47pm

Hehe. We posted at the same time, Best - but I was actually responding to that very notion.

We're in each other's heads again! re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#57re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:52pm

This just in - they're changing it from a drama to a musical comedy

Sister Aloysius will still be played by Meryl..

Sister James will be played by Amanda Bynes hot off her role as Penny in Hairspray

Father Flynn will be played by Justin Timberlake

and Mrs. Muller will be played by Queen Latifah

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#58re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:06pm

I love Diane Keaton as a personality, but she's not very good at playing someone other than herself.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

buffyactsing
#59re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:07pm

Eh in a lot of those movies she's not a huge role.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#60re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:10pm

Seriously, Buffy? Have you seen Reds? Shoot the Moon? Interiors?

Diane Keaton is my favorite actress, but I could never see her as Aloysius. That said, I think she's more than capable of playing characters other than herself.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Gelfling Profile Photo
Gelfling
#61re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:11pm

well, she's back full force after being in that age gap where actresses, even talented disappear because they're too old to play the wife anymore and too young to play the mother re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

I don't think Meryl could ever turn down a part, even in a bad movie and seriously, who wouldn't want Meryl in his/her movie? I know if I was going to direct anything where she could fit even in a small part, I'd harass her agents until she'd say yes.

I still think it's a shame that Broadway actors are not held in a higher regard by producers and that every time a movie is made off a play, they are traded off for a big celeb but if they could all be done with Meryl, I'd be happy...

"What book of rules says that theatre exists only within some ugly buildings crowded into one square-mile of New York City? Wherever there's magic and make-believe and an audience, there's theatre..."

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#62re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:18pm

As wonderful as Meryl Streep is (and she is incredible), I think there are other actresses in Hollywood who are just as capable as Streep. And as much a fan of her's as I am, I'm starting to get sick of seeing her play just about every single role written for women her age. I would love Cherry Jones to put it on film, but that isn't going to happen. As strange as this casting might sound, I think Sally Field or Diane Keaton might be able to pull it off...maybe even do something different with Aloysius. Both are incredibly capable actresses, and lately I feel neither one has had the opportunity to play a really great role that would show off their versatility.

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

DG
#63re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:32pm

I don't think Sally Field would be strange at all - I think she'd be perfect.

It might be a little difficult to convince her to put a habit back on, though re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#64re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:35pm

I agree Ruth: I would love for Cherry to do it in the film! She is incredibly talented and a very sweet person! Meryl rocks though. Isn't she going to play Donna in the MAMMA MIA! movie as well?

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

buffyactsing
#65re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:46pm

Actually, you're right. I still don't think she's a Streep talent, but after seeing a few clips on Youtube, she's better than I thought she was at dramatic roles.

I wish I could have seen Cherry Jones reprise her role though.

ze emcee Profile Photo
ze emcee
#66re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:51pm

I think Streep is a great choice. You know the studio was going to pick a big name to play the part, at least they got an excellent actress to do it. Be happy the role is in the hands of a respectable artist who will do everything she can to make it powerful. Streeps take on the role will be very different I feel, but equally as good.

ze emcee Profile Photo
ze emcee
#67re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 2:51pm

I think Streep is a great choice. You know the studio was going to pick a big name to play the part, at least they got an excellent actress to do it. Be happy the role is in the hands of a respectable artist who will do everything she can to make it powerful. Streeps take on the role will be very different I feel, but equally as good.

Spacedog78 Profile Photo
Spacedog78
#68re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 5:08pm

I am shocked that anyone could ever dislike Meryl Streep! I didnt know such people exsisted. I think its just one of those times where someone just HAS to dislike somthing others rave about. As for me, I love her and will see her in anything!

DG
#69re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 5:15pm

Spacedog - there've always been those who haven't liked her technique. Katherine Hepburn, for one, couldn't stand her acting style.

brainpolice23
#70re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 5:28pm

i just hope heather goldenhersh doesn't reprise her role. not a fan.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#71re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 6:15pm

I love Streep, but not for Doubt. I would much prefer Jones. Sure Streep is wonderful in everything she does, but does that mean she has to do everything? No doubt Leonardo DiCaprio will play Father Flynn, Gwyneth as Sister James, and just to give her another shot, Beyonce as Mrs. Muller.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#72re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 6:43pm

What was the general consensus on Jena Malone's performance?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#73re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 7:09pm

It is a shame Hollywood is so hung up on names

Jones should have reprised her role in the film

Poster Emeritus

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#74re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 7:15pm

B3TA07, while Malone seemed to be a natural choice for the role, everyone I know that saw her said she was terrible. I wouldn't count on her being asked back for the film.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Videos