pixeltracker

My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)- Page 3

My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#50re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:12pm

Who the hell is Max Crumm? for leading actor....

re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

J*
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 03:12 PM

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#51re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:15pm

I have high hopes for A CATERED AFFAIR. But we'll hafta wait and see.

And I hope XANADU proves the "little show that could" and is at least nominated for a few TONYS.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#52re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:21pm

Word is that CRY BABY has pretty impressive choreography, as well.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

jagfkb
#53re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:47pm

Best Musical - Passing Strange seems to be an inevitable nominee, however I don't want to see the same type of musical win AGAIN. Once in a while, great, but not all the time. In the Heights, while a similar concept, is a little more original in my mind, plus I love it's score. A Catered Affair seems a little in the middle, as does Xanadu. However, Cry Baby could be the Hairspray of the season. However, if Cry baby AND A catered Affair flop, Little Mermaid is above Young Frankenstein in a possible nomination. However, anything is possible.

BTW, for those who want what i said straight to the point, here (most likely first):
Nomination 1-Passing Strange
Nomination 2-In the Heights
Nomination 3-Xanadu/A Catered Affair
Nomination 4-Cry Baby-A Catered Affair(If cry baby flops)-The Little Mermaid-Young Frankenstein

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#54re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:56pm

Best Musical - Passing Strange seems to be an inevitable nominee, however I don't want to see the same type of musical win AGAIN.

hi jabfkb- PS is similar to what? I was just wonderin. re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical) I have seen all the musicals from the last two years..I dont remember anything like Passing Strange?

J*
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 03:56 PM

MungoGypsy8232
#55re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 4:35pm

It would be amazing if Patti, Boyd, and Laura all picked up a Tony in their specific categories!

jagfkb
#56re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 4:45pm

well, Passing Strange just seems to be very similar to Spring awakening, simply in the fact that it's this new, original musical which "breaks ground" and wins everything, but the next year is riduculed for being too much 'this' or too much 'that'. You see what i mean?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#57re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 4:50pm

well, Passing Strange just seems to be very similar to Spring awakening, simply in the fact that it's this new, original musical which "breaks ground" and wins everything, but the next year is riduculed for being too much 'this' or too much 'that'. You see what i mean?

I don't, at all. They're two completely different shows...if one was "groundbreaking" then the year after a more traditional one has to win?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jrb
#58re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:11pm

The Tonys do often function on a sort of pendulum - recognizing one specific genre/type one year and then moving to something very different the next. It makes sense.
I wouldn't be surprised if they went more toward the traditional this year so as to counterbalance.
It's like politics, we swing from conservative to liberal and back again. There are checks and balances in the theatrical world, as well.
Then again - I've been surprised before. It's all up in the air until the envelope is torn.
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 05:11 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#59re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:19pm

I still don't see the pattern.

Fosse, a dance show, was followed by Contact, a dance show.
The Producers by Millie, then Hairspray.
Avenue Q by Spamalot.

It doesn't really seem to me that there is some radical change every year.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jrb
#60re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:22pm

Just pointing out the possibility of upset. In the end none of us is qualified to say what will win. We're all guessing in the dark.
The good ol' folks have made strange decisions in the past - many political in nature.
I think it will be a good race and that alone makes me happy. I'm tired of blow outs.

Tom148502
#61re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:26pm

I saw IN THE HEIGHTS last year off-Broadway. While I enjoyed the show, I honestly have no recollection of who Miranda was re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

I've only heard A CATERED AFFAIR, but can't imagine anything about it even being nominated for a Tony.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#62re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:30pm

I've only heard A CATERED AFFAIR, but can't imagine anything about it even being nominated for a Tony.

Do the names Tom Wopat, Faith Prince and Harvey Fierstein ring a bell? How about John Doyle?

Tom148502
#63re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:34pm

"Do the names Tom Wopat, Faith Prince and Harvey Fierstein ring a bell? How about John Doyle?"

Of course, but after listening to a recording of the complete show there was nothing in the material or the performances that seem worthy of a Tony nomination, unless the committee now resorts only to names and not the quality of the material or the performances.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#64re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:39pm

Brutal, Tom, brutal.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#65re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:39pm

Of course, but after listening to a recording of the complete show there was nothing in the material or the performances that seem worthy of a Tony nomination

Oh, sorry, I get it...good thing that demo recordings now determine Tony eligibility. Too bad they also need to perform the demo recording live, as if it was a play...that would be cool too, y'know, if people watched that to have an opinion. :S

Updated On: 3/10/08 at 05:39 PM

jrb
#66re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:40pm

Despite blaxx having a slightly caustic "tone", there is a very valid point being made.
I think that Catered Affair could be the dark horse of the bunch. The cast is impressive - and sometimes a show's being the the proverbial shadows works in its favor.
On a completely different note - I do not feel the affinity for Sunday that seems to be common here. The show was good but didn't seem award winning to me...but then again I thought that Doyle's Company and Sweeney were poorly staged and we can see where that got me. lol.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#67re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:01pm

The Catered Affair score (judging from the demo, which I only heard once), was quite good. It was very quiet, sweet and ultimately moving. I'll certainly have a stronger opinion when I hear it live, but for now, I like it. What the hell is wrong with quiet and simple? Must everying on Broadway be a big overamplified, rock 'n' roll show?

Tom148502
#68re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:14pm

For the person who commented about me hearing demo recording. I didn't say anything about a demo recording. The recording I was referring to is a live recording of the complete show.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#69re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:16pm

Oh, it was me, sorry! That makes it better, of course.

Not.

Updated On: 3/10/08 at 07:16 PM

MungoGypsy8232
#70re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:47pm

How were the reviews for Leslie Kritzer? I have a feeling she'll be another Erin Davie in regards to Tony nominations
:/

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#71re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:59pm

Tom: Whether it was a demo or a live recording, you heard an unofficial recording, which may not be the best representation of the show. Blaxx is right.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Ed_Mottershead
#72re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:35pm

IMO, why does everyone seem to be writing Xanadu off? ITH's reviews, although mixed to enthusiastic, aren't better than the majority of reviews for Xanadu. I feel reasonably confident that at least one of the remaining new musicals (CB and ACA) will not live up to expectations and that PS, despite the good press, may still have trouble in attracting an audience. I know it's always a crap game, but I'm still thinking that Xanadu is a possible nomination.

BroadwayEd

MungoGypsy8232
#73re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:39pm

I'd be incredibly surprised if Xanadu wasn't nominated!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#74re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:41pm

Me too, I haven't seen it but I heard the recording and everything in the material seems worthy of a Tony nomination. :P

Updated On: 3/10/08 at 08:41 PM

Videos