pixeltracker

My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

Yankeefan007
#1My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 10:58pm

Best set design - Micheal Yeargan, South Pacific
Best lighting design - Donald Holder, South Pacific
Best costume design - Cathy Zuber, South Pacific

Best choreography - Andy Blankenbuehler, In the Heights
Best direction - Bartlett Sher, South Pacific

Best score - Stew and Heidi Rodewald, Passing Strange
Best orhcestrations - Alex Lacamoire and Bill Sherman, In the Heights
Best book of a musical - Douglas Carter Beane, Xanadu

Best Actor - Lin-Manuel Miranda, In the Heights
Best Actress - Patti LuPone, Gypsy
Best Featured Actor - Christopher Fitzgerald, Young Frankenstein
Best Featured Actress - Laura Benanti, Gypsy

Best Revival of a Musical - Sunday in the Park with George

Best Musical - Passing Strange, if they go for artsy. In the Heights or Cry-Baby, if they go for commerical.

In other words, all over the map.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Thoughts?
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 10:58 PM

jake6970
#2re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 10:59pm

I agree with most except I definitely don't think Xanadu deserves, or will win best book.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:01pm

Patti who? Really, as good as she is, is there no one who can give her a run for her money? Russell? Prince? The vent?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#3re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:03pm

The jury's out as far as SOUTH PACIFIC is concerned. I have yet to make my way to the Beaumont (with hiiiigh hopes of making the venture much, much sooner than later!) I'd like to think that the toughest ones to call are Lead Actor and Actress. I have an inkling that Mr. Tom Wopat will offer some stiff competition, and of course, my main man, Daniel Breaker of PASSING STRANGE acclaim, and then there's Mr. Music himself, Mr. Lin-Manuel Miranda. What of James Snyder? Must we push the hiiiighly-praised Daniel Evans for his work in SUNDAY? Hmm... As for Leading Actress, I say it'll come down to PATTI, Jenna Russell and Faith Prince. Just my .02, of course!
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 11:03 PM

Yankeefan007
#4re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:03pm

In my mind, the closest person to giving Patti a run for her money is Faith Prince, but I haven't seen Catered Affair yet.

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#5re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:07pm

Most of that seems pretty accurate, although I gotta say lighting will go to Passing Strange,

Also, I would give director of a musical to Buntrock for SUNDAY.

Don't count out Boyd Gaines for featured actor, and don't count out Faith Prince and Jenna Russell for lead actress.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:08pm

I strongly disagree with your choice for Best Actor & Featured Actor.

Best Actor: Daniel Evans or even Cheyenne Jackson would take it over Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Best Supporting Actor: DEFINITELY not Fitzgerald over Boyd Gaines or Daniel Breaker.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 3/9/08 at 11:08 PM

BenKaye Profile Photo
BenKaye
#7re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:09pm

Yankeefan is saying at THIS point, so all "Catered Affair" affiliated things to count at the moment.

I still think that Jenna Russell is far superior in "SUNDAY" then Patti in "GYPSY."

My blog- http://okayentertainment.blogspot.com/

RentBoy86
#8re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:12pm

I'd say this year a lot of the major awards are going to go to Revivals.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#9re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:12pm

I think SUNDAY could take set design.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:15pm

Keeping in mind that I don't see South Pacific until next weekend....

I think at this point, set design is going to go to Sunday in the Park with George. I also believe Daniel Evans will win Best Actor.

I could see Passing Strange winning best score, but I would not be surprised if In the Heights won that award. I certainly hope it beats Passing Strange.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:16pm

Also, while I agree Choreography probably go to HEIGHTS...I wouldn't count out XANADU.

I still wouldn't count out XANADU for Best Musical, neither.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#12re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:18pm

I had been saying that Jenna was probably the one to beat for Leading Actress, but after last night, I'm saying Patti, without question.

I really hope Lin takes Best Actor, and Laura takes Best Actress.

RentBoy86
#13re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:21pm

I think IN THE HEIGHTS for best musical. It'll probably get favorable reviews, and it's the most commerical of all the new musicals (I know I'm overlooking Cry-Baby, but I just dont' see it getting raves. The music doesn't seem to be that great).

christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
#14re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

I agree with Rentboy it is a really stong year for revivals and I think you are going to see a lot of the major awards end up on that side of the camp. With In the Heights and A Caterd Affair fighting it out for Best Musical.

MungoGypsy8232
#15re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)

Leading Actress - Patti LuPone, Gypsy
Featured Actress - Laura Benanti, Gypsy

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#16re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:28pm

Yankee-

I agree with a lot of your thoughts/predictions.

I really hope Carter Beane takes it for best book. He's brilliant and while I loved EVERYTHING about Xanadu, I think the book was my favorite element.

I'm also keepings these fingers crossed for Ms. LuPone. She deserved the award for Mrs. Lovett two seasons ago and I hated that she didn't receive the honor. In my opinion, she's even more deserving this time for her work in Gypsy and I hope she takes the Tony home.

Blaxx-

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents in response to your question: I think the best actress category is going to be INCREDIBLY competetive this year (but now that I think about it, it really has been most years recently; the ladies are damn good!). Between Jenna Russell, Patti LuPone, and Faith Prince, it's going to be nitty-gritty. And to answer your question, yes, either Russell or Prince could certainly take it over Patti, and for many, justifibly. But my vote goes to Patti.

broadwayman17
#17re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:35pm

These are my predictions and some are just guesses:

Set design- South Pacific
Lighting- Passing Strange
Sound-Passing Strange
Costumes-Cry-Baby
Choreography-In The Heights
Direction-Sunday...George
Score-In The Heights
Book-A Catered Affair
Orchestrations- Passing Strange
Actor-Lin-Manuel Miranda or Stew*
Actress-Faith Prince
Supporting Actress-Laura Benanti
Supporting Actor-Stew* or Christopher Fitzgerald
Revival-South Pacific
Musical-In The Heights

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 11:35 PM

spell7107 Profile Photo
spell7107
#18re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:48pm

Ok, In the Heights most def wins Best Score and Best Musical.It has to win.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#19re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:50pm

Why does it HAVE to win?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#20re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/9/08 at 11:53pm

As far as reviews go, this is what it boils down to (from RAVES to well ... y'know-the-show!)

PASSING STRANGE
XANADU
IN THE HEIGHTS
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
THE LITTLE MERMAID

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#21re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:01am

Only 4 shows can be nominated...

--Aristotle

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#22re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:03am

I think he was just giving us the order of reviews, from great to terrible.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#23re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:13am

Cheyenne Jackson will not win over Miranda. I'm not even sure that Evans will. Miranda seems to be getting the kind of love-letters that the likes of Sutton Foster, John Lloyd Young, and Kristin Chenoweth got in the roles that earned each of them their Tonys when they were up-and-coming young actors. Jackson might be nominated, but he won't win.
Jenna Russell is not going to win the Tony over LuPone, nor should she. She gives a swell performance but does not achieve the brilliance that Peters did back in '84, and if it's true that LuPone's Broadway turn is miles better than what she did at Encores! then she basically has it in the bag...unless the usually-reliable Faith Prince gives the kind of performance in a NEW musical (major brownie points, especially since everyone and their mother has played Momma Rose) that will have us all talking about her.
I think Sher has once again assembled a creative team that will sweep the design categories, not sure if he'll take the major prize though.
I highly doubt that Fitzgerald will win for YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, but I'm not sure this is a strong year for featured male performances like it was last year.
Featured actress will be incredibly interesting, with Benanti giving the performance of her career so far, and with up-and-comers like Leigh Ann Larkin, Leslie Kritzer, and Alli Mauzey earning raves for their performances. We'll see what happens.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#24re: My 2008 Tony predictions, right at this point in time (Musical)
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:17am

Jackson wouldn't win, no, but I think he is on the same level as Miranda, IMO. It's gotta be Evans...unless there is a role in CRY-BABY or A CATERED AFFAIR that's leading and the performance is above that.

--Aristotle

Videos