News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!- Page 3

Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#50re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 5:58pm

How is it an improvement?? Oh, I see. Because you pay for these tickets. Yeah...that makes sense.

Also, the Public just started it this season. But it's been going on since the first night of Hamlet. So earlier than this "groundbreaking" event.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#51re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 5:59pm

So it's technically a digital lottery. Well, have fun, guys.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#52re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:02pm

Bryan - have you ever met the other Bryan on this board??

You two seem to use the same type of logic... NONE!

bryanw3535
#53re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:03pm

I agree that free is always the best option. Good point!

BUT...

Let's compare apples to apples here and just talk about shows on Broadway. When you look at that, it's an improvement over what any other shows are doing.

Which would you prefer:

Sitting at home comfortably and seeing a show for less than half price?

OR

Sitting on a sidewalk and seeing a show for less than half price?

That's not even considering whether you have time to wait on the sidewalk for hours at all.

I agree that a free ticket is the best of all, but when we compare apples to apples (Broadway to Broadway), this is a big step.

Remember, the e-mail said this would be "another Broadway first," not another live theater first.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#54re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:05pm

are you a schill? why are you defending this pointless publicity stunt soo much?

bryanw3535
#55re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:08pm

I'm defending it because it seems like a good idea to me. If you want to wait out there for a rush, I'll be the one walking past you with a better ticket and a day that wasn't wasted.

bryanw3535
#56re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:11pm

Oh, and TooDarnHot, have you met LePetiteFromage?

You both seem to be advancing the discussion to the same place: nowhere!

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:13pm

Updated On: 5/4/09 at 06:13 PM

My.Small.Apricot
#58re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:45pm

People. calm down, please. sheesh, some of you are so uptight tonight! What's the deal?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#59re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:50pm

And a more expensive ticket. Assuming you weren't the 11th person to try to buy one of 20 tickets when the first 10 wanted 2.

And wow...there are 10 hours between the time the box office opens and the show starts. Yeah...10 free hours. That's a wasted day.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 6/15/08 at 06:50 PM

bryanw3535
#60re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:54pm

But people can't always just drop everything and get to the city.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#61re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:56pm

And yet that's what they're asking you to do dearie. If you can't find out about getting tickets until 4pm, you WILL be dropping everything to go into the city.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

TheatreNerd23 Profile Photo
TheatreNerd23
#62re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:57pm

Really? THAT was the mega revolutionionary breakthrough?
how anticlimactic...

bryanw3535
#63re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 6:58pm

That's true, but one trip seems like enough to me. I don't know. I give up.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#64re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:00pm

I live 1.5 hours from the city, so it is inconvenient for me to wait around as early as other people begin arriving. I think this digital rush is helpful for me in this case, and I am willing to pay the extra money. I'm wondering if the seats are different from the student rush seats they usually hand out.

However, it is also easier for me to attend matinees, so I don't think I'll be taking advantage of this. I'm wondering if they should at least open it for Wednesday matinees.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#65re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:01pm

I think it's cool. Not as "groundbreaking" as they pimped it to be, but they only really called it a "Broadway first" and it certainly is. It'll be helpful to their rabid teenage fans who rush all the time, but not here, where everyone seems to have a vendetta against the show.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#66re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:22pm

Ok, this was certainly not the "revolution" they were pumping it to be, however, I think it is a good idea.

Not everyone has the ability to be sitting on a rush line in the morning to get rush tickets, particularly those of us who have jobs during the week.

coolkid11776
#67re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:28pm

I don't really understand this you can get Orc & Front Mezz seats for $40. How many do they give out? Is it like an online lottery? If I put in for tix will I get them? How many can one person buy?

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

coolkid11776
#68re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:28pm

I don't really understand this you can get Orc & Front Mezz seats for $40. How many do they give out? Is it like an online lottery? If I put in for tix will I get them? How many can one person buy?

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#69re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:32pm

Apparently someone said it's 20 tickets. So it's like an online ticket lottery. And it sounds like 20 people will get notification...but if 10 of them get 2 each, the 11th person and later are screwed.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#70re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:46pm

No, it says very specifically the allotment of tickets is based on availability. Nowhere does it say there will be 20 tickets.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#71re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 7:52pm

I was just saying what someone else said. But entering does not guarantee you a ticket. It's really a digital lottery from the description. And since to join the line it doesn't appear to ask how many tickets, it's conceivable they could send more codes than there are seats if people get 2 tickets. Which will end up pissong off more people than it will help ultimately. People demanding tickets because they were told they could purchase them. This'll be fun. I just think it could be thought out better.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

xOnMyOwnX
#72re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 8:18pm

While I agree that this is clearly a publicity stunt, I think I see some logic behind it. Consider SA's target audience. They're somewhere between 14-22 maybe? They also are not generally going to be the same type of people who will wait to rush a Sondheim show. They are the members of the age of technology, many of whom probably wouldn't rush. So the digital rush would work for them.

I am actually a bit excited about this, if only because I have over-protective parents who probably won't let me rush because they're afraid (*groans*)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#73re: Spring Awakening breaks the mold again in 6 hours?!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 8:32pm

Well, I signed up for tomorrow's show, so if I win, I'll let you know how it goes.

Update...I just got a text message that said, "You have entered Spring Awakening's digital rush for tomorrow's show. A personal redemption code/ url will follow tomorrow. To opt out, reply with 'STOP'."

So...did I "win" the tickets? Is it going to be first come, first served?

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/15/08 at 8:36pm

Updated On: 5/4/09 at 08:36 PM

Videos