News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Important Spring Awakening Question- Page 3

Important Spring Awakening Question

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#50STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:06pm

I felt sweat dripping on me from on high when I saw the show. Should I only judge it by Jonathan Groff's exertions? STUPID Spring Awakening Question

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#51STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:10pm

NGD2225- I just don't get why you are so nasty at the tiniest things. Microphones, the lack of a real toilet, you are just stating that you did not like the show for the artistic choices made, but you're being really nasty about it.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#52STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:13pm

Why did you post a question if you weren't going to listen to anything negative people had to say.

Shunterk2 Profile Photo
Shunterk2
#53STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:15pm

Actually I did. And I already posted my response to the answer. Most of my arguments have been over people just being nasty over stupid things and comments.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#54STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:18pm

No. Until someone called you on it, whenever someone gave negative feedback you were on them like hound dogs.

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#55STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 3:20pm

Who cares if people don't like Spring Awakening?

And if someone says they don't like it because "compared to the original version...", it is still a valid response. They don't think it's a good representation of the play. You can't ask a general question and then limit the types of responses just so you can be happy.

Personally, I don't like it. The score is...nice, but there was no reason to use an indie rock score. I just don't feel it accurately represents the book.

I don't think it's as good a representation of the show as the original play was.

It should not have won the Tony Awards for Best Musical or Best Score. The score is pretty generic. I feel Grey Gardens was the better candidate. Grey Gardens was a beautifully told story with a beautifull score. All of the aspects of the show worked in unison. I felt certain parts of Spring Awakening felt awkward and misplaced.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"
Updated On: 9/6/08 at 03:20 PM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#56STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 5:35pm

AWKWARD + MISPLACED = SPRING AWAKENING

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#57STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 6:22pm

I don't have any contention with the show...I quite liked it (but as I've said before...I like just about everything). I thought the microphones were a bit odd at first..but after the first few times watching the actors pull out the mikes it just kind of became part of the fabric of the show. I read somewhere that there was some sort of phallic symbol going on there...

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

mastachen2
#58STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/6/08 at 11:51pm

Just because people are blunt with their negative opinions, that doesn't mean they're rude. Get the difference.

I like Spring Awakening, but I'm under no illusions that it's a good show. I love the energy and catchy music, and the young cast is very inspirational. However, the script sucks, the staging sucks, and the lyrics suck. It tries too hard to be deep and poetic. But as Sondheim once said, "poets don't make good lyricists." It couldn't be truer in this case.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#59STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 1:54am

^^^ AMEN. BRILLIANTLY SAID. AND FROM A SPRING AWAKENING FAN, TOO!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#60STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:24am

1. I am a HUGE fan of SA. (And I see PLENTY of B'way as well as off b'way theater)

2. I am not a teenager and know plenty of "non target" audience members who adore the show.

3. Why don't you feel (OP) that the people that dislike the show have the right to their opinion TO dislike it. How in any way does that take away YOUR right to enjoy it?

4. Just because someone didn't LIKE a piece, doesn't mean they don't get it. If it didn't connect with them they won't like it. Period.

5. SA is not perfect. The actors were not stellar (although individual performances were beautiful). It moved me, and it will always have a special place in my heart....but I am not above talking about it's flaws. (The beating scene? Good god, could they NOT hire a fight choreographer? When the scene gets laughter more than not, something is WRONG.)

Personally, I don't get why people get so worked up over work that they don't care for....and take the time/energy to trash something. There are plenty of shows that have been loved by audience members that I've truly detested (Rent, LM, Curtains, POTO) and once I've given my review (if I'd even taken the effort) I let it go. If you hate the bashing, why would you start a thread that asked for just that?

Your opinion is NO MORE VALID then is theirs. If I don't like coconut...would you try to convince me I was wrong?

(I am stepping down and putting my soap box away.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#61STUPID Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:30am

I've now seen it twice within a week and agree with every word mastachen2 said.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SpringAwakening789 Profile Photo
SpringAwakening789
#62Important Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:41am

Shunkterk2,

From what I gather, people seem to have a problem with the book and lyrics of the show (arguing that the lyrics don't progress the show). Personally, I think the lyrics serve the show in an incredible way. The music serving as an internal monologue for the characters keeps it fresh and if nothing else is different from any other show on Broadway.

Other than this reason, I can only guess that people maybe think it's too abstract?? I don't know to be honest. I love Spring Awakening and, like you, am really sick and tired of people posting that they hate it or wondering why it hasn't closed yet without actually providing any argument. It seems that there are people on this board who consider it "cool" to dislike certain shows that receive a lot of positive attention, and clearly Spring Awakening has fallen into that category. I'm sick of it. There are plenty of shows that I don't care for, but I choose not to be intentionally nasty towards other people like a lot of people on BWW do. It's impossible to post any kind of message on these boards without having some kind of non-constructive smart-a** comment posted within 1 minute of the original message.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#63Important Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:46am

SA789, shut up. you've made only 2 posts & your an expert on what we do? If you don't like it, quote Dolly Parton, "Get out & stay out."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#64Important Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:50am

It seems that there are people on this board who consider it "cool" to dislike certain shows that receive a lot of positive attention, and clearly Spring Awakening has fallen into that category. I'm sick of it.

There are people everywhere like that. It's not just theatre, it's not just message boards, and it's not just this board.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SpringAwakening789
#65Important Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:56am

I may post infrequently, but I watch this board all the time. Maybe it takes a more objective view than you have to point out "what you do?"

And as far as people thinking its "cool" to dislike popular things, sure it happens to all things, i wasn't born yesterday, but I can promise you that out of all of the message boards I visit, BWW consistently has the most unnecessary hostility.
Updated On: 9/7/08 at 02:56 AM

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/7/08 at 2:58am

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 02:58 AM

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#67Important Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 3:02am

If you don't like the hostility GET OUT! Trust me you won't be a loss. And 2 posts in a year isn't INFREQUANTE. If this is what set you off to post you REALLY must not be watching this board as much as you say you do. We have had rants about illegal productions with a crazy bitch at the helm, people called Orfeh a tranny & they got their ass ripped from Orfeh herself. But THIS, THIS is what you need to post about negativity towards Spring Awakening?

SpringAwakening789
#68Important Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 3:11am

Uhh actually yea?? Most of the time I read things and don't care enough to reply because I figure why bother, but I happen to like Spring Awakening, saw that someone else had a similar concern to mine and decided to post. By the way, it's also great of you to prove my point on hostility. You're obviously hounding on a thread that began by asking for people (like you) not to be jerks, and not to make obnoxious/rude comments. Maybe consider not wasting your time and ours?

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#69Important Spring Awakening Question
Posted: 9/7/08 at 3:12am

No, she asked a question & made rules to insure she got what she wanted.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 9/7/08 at 3:16am

Updated On: 5/1/09 at 03:16 AM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#71When children try to act 'growed up'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:46am

The music serving as an internal monologue for the characters keeps it fresh and if nothing else is different from any other show on Broadway.

What the hell? Do you know any musicals *other* than 'Spring Awakening'? This isn't an exclusive-to-SA thing! It's something that's been happening just as long as plays have been told via the medium of song and dance. Good LORD!

shesamarshmallow
#72When children try to act 'growed up'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 9:59am

My biggest problems are that it's tonally schizophrenic, and I fail to sympathize with any of the characters (except Mortiz, who's gone half way through). Also, the dialogue is stilted and difficult to deliver by trained actors, let alone the (talented, but inexperienced) kids in the show. It just doesn't work for me.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#73When children try to act 'growed up'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 10:05am

I've seen it a lot of times, and I agree with mataschen.
The music is the best part (I do love the lighting, though). It's infectious and catchy as hell.

The script is terrible, and leaves so many loose ends. There are so many characters who have absolutely nothing to do with the plot.

Some individual performances are great, while others are not. Seeing the new cast made me realize that, and they've all kind of turned me off from the show.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#74When children try to act 'growed up'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 10:43am

I despise SPRING AWAKENING SOCKPUPPETS.

SA430482042019 - Go crawl in a hole and stay there.

Videos