pixeltracker

The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.- Page 3

The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#50re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 5/21/09 at 8:27pm

That doesn't change the fact that the musical is still credited as being based on both sources. You can't argue that it's not just because you don't think it didn't include any elements from the novel and then insist that Carrie is based on the novel and not the film when Carrie really is only credited in the playbill as being based on the novel.

It's different. It's safe to say that Legally Blonde is a musical based on a movie (you don't see Stanford, and her puppy Underdog in the musical!), but Carrie has its strongest influences from the novel, and I wouldn't say Carrie is a musical based on a film.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#51re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 5/21/09 at 10:04pm

Personally (of what I've seen), I think The Lion King is the best.

Big or Spamalot are the worst.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

ZONEACE
#52re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 5/21/09 at 10:15pm

I'd put Nine among the best.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

drwatson186
#53re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 11:16am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Evil Dead the musical, I loved it

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#54re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 12:36pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is probably THE best.

Other good ones:
Reefer Madness
Little Shop of Horrors
The Producers
The Full Monty
The Lion King
The Wedding Singer
La Cage aux Folles (Does that count?)
Catch Me If You Can (it was a book/true story first, but it's ALSO based on the movie)

Worst:
Tarzan
Young Frankenstein

I thought High Fidelity was GOOD. Not the production, but the show itself. Put in better hands, it would have been brilliant. The score is very catchy and cute.

I also really liked SHREK. There have been worse. The visuals, score and actors were all fantastic.

bk
#55re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 1:51pm

Based "off" a movie? No. Based ON a movie.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#56re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 2:01pm

The book of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC should be studied to the nth degree as the perfect, even definitive example of how to adapt a film to a musical. I.e.: Be faithful, but not slavishly so as if whatever was on the screen is going to absolutely work on stage. (Quick quiz: Who here has actually seen SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT?)

Worst: Too many to mention.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 2/27/11 at 02:01 PM

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#57re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 3:25pm

Loving reading the list here of stage musicals that were adapted from the big screen to Broadway. Who knows the one that started it all in 1973? I saw a new revival of it here in Los Angeles on Friday night with a great cast of Broadway and West End theatre veterans. Clues: It won an unprecedented 9 Academy Awards including Best Picture before opening in 1973 as a reserved-seat attraction at the Royale Theatre (now the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre) on West 45th Street.

And some others to add to the list from the Big Screen to the stage: "White Christmas", "Elf", "Sister Act", "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" and "Dirty Dancing".

My Favorites:
"A Little Night Music"; "42 Street"; "A Catered Affair"; "Xanudu" (hated the movie, but loved the stage version); "Sunset Boulevard"; "Grey Gardens"; "Beauty & the Beast" (the original version and not the horrible current touring version); "Grand Hotel"; "Hairspray"; "Mary Poppins" and another not mentioned already (don't bash me!) "9 to 5" (Original Los Angeles Production).

My Least Favorites:
Not really many here that I've disliked but there are two that I don't like at all--#1 is and always will be "The Lion King" followed by "Monty Python's Spamalot".

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#58re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 3:40pm

Best and worst: THE FIRST WIVES CLUB

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#59re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 3:44pm

Best
A Little Night Music
Sweet Charity
Promises, Promises
Hairspray
Grey Gardens
A Man of No Importance

Worst
A Catered Affair
Saturday Night Fever
Wedding Singer
Cry Baby
First Wives Club
The Little Mermaid

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 2/27/11 at 03:44 PM

Wicked Fanatic
#60re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 3:55pm

Best and worst: THE FIRST WIVES CLUB

OMG I forgot about this piece of s... In that case I take back my comment about The Lion King being #1 always and forever. It's moved to #2 and TFWC moves to the top. Although technically it moved from the big screen to a stage musical at the Old Globe hopefully it will NEVER grace a Broadway stage!

ETA some more names of musicals from the big screen to the stage:
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Dr. Dolittle, Little Women, Singing in the Rain, The Color Purple, Zorba (LOVED!)and two that may or may not make it to the Broadway stage: Leap of Faith (hopefully w/out Brooke Shields) and Robin and the 7 Hoods. Updated On: 2/27/11 at 03:55 PM

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#61re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 6:45pm

It's been years since I saw Mary Poppins but I remember liking it very much.

I don't think I can say enough about how underappreciated Grey Gardens is. Truly one of the greatest shows of the decade.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Hank
#62re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 10:42pm

Best, (actually favorites):
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Hairspray
The Producers
Billy Elliot
Legally Blond

Worst (least favorite)
Urban Cowboy
Young Frankenstein
Shreck

Hank
#63re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/27/11 at 10:45pm

Best, (actually favorites):
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Hairspray
The Producers
Billy Elliot
Legally Blond

Worst (least favorite)
Urban Cowboy
Young Frankenstein
Shreck

Jon
#64re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/28/11 at 10:13am

I hate to be a grammar nazi, but only on the internet in the last few years have I seen the phrase "based off of..."

Musicals are based ON movies or plays or books, not OFF them.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#65re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/28/11 at 1:31pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is probably THE best.

Didn't like it at all.

Clues: It won an unprecedented 9 Academy Awards including Best Picture before opening in 1973 as a reserved-seat attraction at the Royale Theatre (now the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre) on West 45th Street.

Are you talking about Gigi? It won 9 Oscars in 1958, though screen-to-stage adaptations occurred previously, most notably Promises, Promises and Applause.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 2/28/11 at 01:31 PM

Jon
#66re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/28/11 at 2:07pm

And before anyone asks, the first Broadway musical adapted from a movie (which was not a novel or play)was HAZEL FLAGG.

We had that discussion a couple of years ago.

Wicked Fanatic
#67re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/28/11 at 6:16pm

And before anyone asks, the first Broadway musical adapted from a movie (which was not a novel or play)was HAZEL FLAGG.

We had that discussion a couple of years ago.

Not according to what was written in the program for a new revival of "Gigi" which just closed last night in Los Angeles at the Reprise Theatre. The information on the history of the show was written by Brent Wagner, the chair of the Musical Theatre Department at the University of Michigan. He states the following: "But when Gigi opened on Broadway in 1973, this was not the trend (a stage production from a film musical). In fact, Gigi was the first ORIGINAL film musical to be transferred to the stage. Before this, stage musicals would be adapted as film musicals, not the reverse."

There's also another article about how this revival came to be by the director, David Lee who decided to base his on London's West End production done in 1985 which is different from what was done in 1973 on Broadway. Lots more to the story but I'll just say that for the answer I was looking for Mister Matt is right.

And the Reprise production was really good for only one week of rehearsals and two weeks of shows. The cast was the BEST that I've ever seen at the Reprise only 13 including the ensemble: William Atherton as Honore (really good voice); Matt Cavenaugh although young, very good as Gaston; Chryssie Whitehead as Liane; Millicent Martin wonderful as Mamita; Susan Denaker as Alicia; Jason Graae playing 7 different roles who when he was on stage you couldn't take your eyes off of him; and Lisa O'Hare who was pure perfection as Gigi. The ensemble who played multiple roles very well consisted of Angela Ara Brown, Richard Bulda, Luke Lazzaro, Jonathan Sharp, Leslie Stevens and Yvette Tucker!

ETA: Thanks Jon for the info on Hazel Flagg which it looks like was the first non-musical transferred from a film to the Big Screen; Gigi was an "original" musical.
Updated On: 2/28/11 at 06:16 PM

Ed_Mottershead
#68re: The best and worst musicals based off of a movie.
Posted: 2/28/11 at 7:55pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Grand Hotel.

BroadwayEd

Videos