disneybroadwayfan22
#75Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/19/14 at 1:26pm

Beautiful!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#76Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/19/14 at 1:29pm

Different strokes for different whatever and all that, but I can't think of a project that would interest me less. And isn't the boomer audience (me), with their disposable income and supposed yen for the iconic projects of childhood the target one? Even I was too young to see it in the theater. Do younger demos give a hoot about this material? A musical about a courtesan? Why this, now? But then, I'm revival-ed out. I'd rather see a musical version MIDNIGHT in PARIS. Oh that's right, Woody Allen adaptations can't fill the St. James. Tough times, but is this show a beacon of light? I don't understand the decision.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/19/14 at 01:29 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#77Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/19/14 at 2:00pm

^ Everything isn't about your self entitled it's all about me generation. DON'T GO SEE IT.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#78Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/19/14 at 3:13pm

"Do younger demos give a hoot about this material? A musical about a courtesan?"

Gigi isn't a courtesan. That's the whole point.

But as for courtesans (and allied professions) in musicals have you never heard of A Little Night Music? La Traviata? La Boheme? Carmen? Rent? (more veiledly, Oliver? and Sweet Charity?) Irma la Douce? The Life? Pipe Dream? Les Miserables? Tenderloin? A Funny thing Happened on the Way to the Forum? Ilya, Darling? Piaf? House of Flowers? Roza? The Boys from Syracuse? Man of La Mancha? New Girl in Town? Jekyll and Hyde? Cabaret? Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? The Wild Party and, while we're at it, The Wild Party? Zorba? Miss Saigon? Happy End? Threepenny Opera? The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas?

And what's even more odd to me is that with all the talk and positive excitement, on bww and elsewhere, about a new musical of Pretty Woman, there should be political apprehension about Gigi.

In one a street prostitute and her john fall unexpectedly in love and live happily ever after (ok, I'm oversimplifying the plot, but not by all that much).

In the other a young girl from a family of high class hookers adores the man who would like to keep her, rebels from what he and her family expect of her (to be kept), only to come to learn that she passionately loves him and decides that she'll try to be something she isn't (a high class hooker) (whether she tries knowing full well what the actual outcome will be or she tries believing that she will turn into exactly what is expected of her, is a matter of interpretation, and one I would expect to be cleverly tweaked in the new revival), with the consequence that he can't stand seeing her being what he thought he wanted all along because it's so untrue to who she is and to whom he passionately loves, and they get married and live happily ever after.

I also find it really odd that so many think the second is either a politically troubling or a boring narrative.

I couldn't disagree more with either conclusion.

And, while we are at it, are we going to have not just one but two best picture oscar winning Vincente Minnelli musicals opening this season on Broadway?

Updated On: 12/21/14 at 03:13 PM

RW3
degrassifan
#80Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/21/14 at 2:16pm

This looks exciting! They are really emphasizing the glamour of the setting and time period, which I'm loving.

sctrojan65
#81Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/21/14 at 9:07pm

That set of costumes looks very period and very Gigi. The promo, not at all. Nowack, I agree. Looks like Audrey Hepburn/1950s/60s/Breakfast at Tiffany's. With her in that dress and blowing kisses at the camera, if I knew nothing about this musical, I wouldn't be thinking "turn of the century" anything. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If I lived in Washington, I'd go see it.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#82Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/21/14 at 10:21pm

^Agree with the promo. It's beautiful, but Gigi is not a glamorous Audrey Hepburn character. From what I can tell from the videos I've seen on YouTube, Gigi is supposed to be a naive, innocent, stubborn young teenager/woman who's coming of age

RW3
#83Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 1:34am

Brand new website. So much better than before.
Gigi New Website

sctrojan65
#84Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 3:03am

Agreed, fan22. Those promos look like they're trying to play up the Vanessa Hudgens connection rather than the musical itself.
Even if you could sell the dress as turn-of-the-century (which I don't really see), her hair, and her overall look don't rep the era, IMO.
And the dude playing Gaston….he looks like he's 20 y.o.
It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but isn't Gaston a sophisticated, worldly, older (not old, but older) man?
Or doesn't he have to be to make the story work?

GetUp&LiveIt
#85Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 10:40am

Do you all actually think Catherine Zuber is going to put her in anything other than period clothing in the production? It's a promo video. Calm down!

RW3
#86Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 11:13am

According to Playbill, today is press day. Go to Playbill's Twitter account for pictures!

henrikegerman
#87Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 11:55am

"Do you all actually think Catherine Zuber is going to put her in anything other than period clothing in the production? It's a promo video. Calm down!"

a voice of reason in the wilderness....

Unless, they are updating - which by all accounts they are not - this "new look" promo look is just that, a "new look" promo look.

Relax. Have an egg nog.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#88Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 12:13pm

The show is absolutely still set in the Belle Epoque. The promo look is clearly done to evoke a certain Hepburnian, 1960s elegance, which would read more enticingly to a contemporary audience than bustles and corsets.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/22/14 at 12:13 PM

sctrojan65
#89Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 12:29pm

Makes sense, Kad. Thanks.

This board can be, surprisingly, more reactionary than the guys on the college football boards I frequent. Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)

I guess there is similar passion in both the theater and the stadium. $:0 Go and figure.

The promo for the new Gigi looks quite different than the theme and era of the musical. Hence, it generated a question in my mind about possible change in story line/era. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's an observation, not hysterics. Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)

If the revival of On the Town had come out with a promo of paisley-dressed characters in flower-rimmed shades, I'm sure that would generate discussion too. Nothing wrong with that.

So, I agree. Calm down. Down a Bailey's. It's a discussion board. Discussions happen.

Sometimes insight even comes out from those "in the know" who have knowledge about said subject.

Updated On: 12/22/14 at 12:29 PM

henrikegerman
#90Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 12:32pm

You're right. I cop to overreacting about overreaction.

sctrojan65
#91Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 1:18pm

And I can sometimes tend to overreact to overreactions directed at things that were only intended as observations and questions to begin with. So I guess we're both guilty.

RW3
#92Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 3:07pm

Freeze Frame Updated On: 12/22/14 at 03:07 PM

RW3
henrikegerman
#94Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 3:26pm

"but isn't Gaston a sophisticated, worldly, older (not old, but older) man?
Or doesn't he have to be to make the story work?"

Maybe we'll find out, or at least find out if this team is able to make it work. Why not give them a chance?

Alteration from a celebrated work isn't always a bad thing. See, e.g., Pygmalion.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#95Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 3:27pm

Gaston is supposed to be a younger, bon vivant type. Corey Cott (who's in his mid-twenties) fits that.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

henrikegerman
#96Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 3:30pm

Can't recall if Gaston's age is specified in the novella. Anyone know?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#97Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 3:44pm

Gaston is 33 in the novella. He's still a young playboy in the new version but the choice to make him in his 20s was a conscious decision.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#98Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 3:47pm

I watched the movie again last night. It's still wonderful, and I think Vanessa Hudgens is a good choice for the role. I hope this production is almost as good as the movie and transfers to Broadway.

henrikegerman
#99Vanessa Hudgens is Gigi (Officially)
Posted: 12/22/14 at 4:04pm

Thanks, Smaxie. I really don't find Gaston's being younger objectionable.

Videos