The Last Ship previews

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#75You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/1/14 at 3:25pm

I don't recall hearing how much money the priest had stolen, but it's possible that I could have missed it. If he did steal 50,000 dollars (or worse pounds) then that's a lot of money to get away with taking! It also makes the morality of using this money dubious at best. For the priest to have stolen so much money it would have taken a great amount of time I gather. If they hadn't decided to build this ship was he just going to use it as his slush fund?

Even if he was able to take 50,000 I don't think it would be enough to build a ship that large. Ship building is extremely expensive, and as the new owner of the shipyard states early the play, they have moved the ship building to Japan and Korea where it is much cheaper to purchase materials and pay for labor. Of course, the townspeople are donating their time, but we've been told the cost has skyrocketed and that's why they lost their jobs in the first place.

I don't think this point about the money is an insignificant affair. (Neither is the question of how they were able to build the ship over time without getting caught when the new owners have already jailed Esper merely for trespassing earlier.) The townspeople are in a horrible economic situation and if there was 50,000 to spread around it certainly could have been better spent feeding families and such. I understand that the workers want to have one last stand out of pride, but the book writers need to explain/clarify how they accomplish this. They can't ask the audience to take the story as a tale of grit and economic hardship, issues they dwell on for much of act one, only to sweep the same issues away to easily build the ship.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#76You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:35pm

Re: Interpolation

Composers were known to occasionally pop in a previous hit to a new show in the olden pre-Oklahoma days. But they didn't take character specificity too much into account even when writing original material for a show. So what difference did it make if this non-character-specific song was wedged into another show for a different character? It wasn't specific to that character anyway.

But today character specificity is everything when writing a musical. So a non-character specific tune taken rom the pop world clashes with the original material that is character specific and stands out even if you aren't aware that it's a previous hit.

Re; The dreariness

If this show is essentially BILLY ELLIOT without the interesting dance part, perhaps they can think up an analogous element to play against the dreariness like the dancing did for that show? I can't imagine what that would be though.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

brucebossa Profile Photo
brucebossa
#77You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/1/14 at 4:55pm

"If this show is essentially BILLY ELLIOT without the interesting dance part, perhaps they can think up an analogous element to play against the dreariness like the dancing did for that show? I can't imagine what that would be though."

And do it by next week! If this was NBC's SMASH, it would be possible.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#78You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/1/14 at 5:01pm

I guess they'll have to get Daniel Sunjata to come over and help them figure it out.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Updated On: 10/1/14 at 05:01 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#79You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/1/14 at 5:15pm

Mr. Nowack, I think the community coming together to build the ship is supposed to play the same role Billy's dancing did in Billy Elliot. I was personally much more invested in watching a young boy discover a passion and talent against a dreary backdrop and break the mold of what was expected in his community than watching people build a ship.

Esper never wanted to have anything to do with ship building, but perhaps the emotional connection for the audience could be strengthened if we can watch Esper teach his son how to weld or cut some of the pieces. Build the mast or one of the sails. Something specific rather than the more nebulous idea of "let's build a ship!"

I think the key to the show, and when it's the strongest, is when it deals with the relationship between Esper and his son. Tying that more directly to the shipbuilding would help.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

nycserenade2
#80You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:38am

All This Time is from The Soul Cages, which is the album that the idea for writing The Last Ship descended from. Although I was obviously familiar with it, because of this direct link it fit in thematically and lyrically, and it is a lovely song. If Sting wanted to gratuitously throw in a hit song, he could have had Gideon singing Every Breath You Take, while creepily watching Meg from afar.

I saw it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I especially liked some of the quieter moments between Gideon and his son, as well as the scene with him, his son and his father. I hope it does well, and finds an audience. I think it deserves one.

Updated On: 10/2/14 at 12:38 AM

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#81You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/2/14 at 9:49am

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."
Updated On: 10/7/14 at 09:49 AM

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#82THE LAST SHIP Previews
Posted: 10/2/14 at 10:19am

Saw this last night with zero expectations, and enjoyed every minute of it. Gorgeously designed, directed, scored, and performed (all imho, of course). As others have mentioned, the weak book is disappointing, considering how top-shelf (imho) everything else is, but not disastrous. (Weaknesses being: Thinly drawn individual characters with little emotional pull. Dubious/confusing nature of the "last ship" enterprise. Slight "been here/done this" plot elements.) But still a production I enjoyed (as the story of a community) and would return to. The OBC recording will be a keeper.

Side note: Multi-leveled set makes for an excellent mezzanine view. Sound there was perfect.

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 10/8/14 at 10:19 AM

neonlightsxo
#83You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/2/14 at 10:22am

I think the problems of the book at least partially stem from Brian Yorkey giving up the project and handing it over to John Logan. It's a little all over the place in that way.

Also, regarding the interpolation, yes there are two songs from Soul Cages, one from Dolphins (When We Dance) and I think one other, but the majority are from the concept album/original for the show. Updated On: 10/2/14 at 10:22 AM

denos
#84You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/2/14 at 10:30am

*** SPOILERS**

Yeah, I have to say that I'm a little stunned that no one is keying into the many metaphors of the building of ship. It can easily represent work, love, becoming a man (or a woman), life itself... and that the reason to set sail is to send the Priest to heaven, and to be a last hurrah for all the dying ship building towns along the Tyne. It was also pretty clear to me that the guys occupied the yard (which after a little research shows that it was a real event), which could mean that the supplies for the ship were mostly in the yard when they occupied it - that was not a sticking point for me.

Maybe I'm an outlier here, but for me this show is far more poetic than is being discussed here, it was pretty easy for me to sit back and let the show wash over me, but I'm a fan of Sting's music and think he is an especially brilliant lyricist.

Updated On: 10/2/14 at 10:30 AM

#85You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/2/14 at 3:02pm

Too me there are so many other things I'd rather see(or see a 2nd or 3rd time)...Think this show will be lucky to make Jan. 4...Is there any real connection with a character in this at all?...What's the "grab" beside it being "Songs by Gordon Sumner"?

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#86You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/2/14 at 4:16pm

Actually, the "grab" is "Music and Lyrics by Sting" because let's be real… how many people buying tickets for this know that Sting's real name is Gordon Thomas Sumner?

neonlightsxo
#87You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/2/14 at 4:51pm

Nobody knows who Gordon Sumner is. But people do know Sting.

Jeffrey Seller said they have a $3 million advance which is good news. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/theater/september-was-warm-on-broadway-too-.html?ref=theater

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#88You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/3/14 at 8:29am

Bump. How has the lotto for this been? I am planning on trying next week.

Any info is appreciated!!!!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#89You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/3/14 at 1:31pm

If this show is essentially BILLY ELLIOT without the interesting dance part

Oh, it's not even close. It wasn't just the dancing that balanced the dreariness of the town and its plight. Billy was a genuinely sympathetic character, receiving support from his dance teacher, grandmother and friend, and ultimately, his father. The book and score underpinned the emotions and conflict while the creativity in the staging and choreography provided balance. I saw none of that in The Last Ship. From the start, I had no sympathy for Gideon and the plot rarely had any moments to lift it out of the pit of depressing cynicism. To me, building the ship and the finale just didn't add up to a real payoff. It all just felt cliched and contrived. I do wonder if they still have some of the sillier moments in the staging (the father's "accident" immediately followed by his miraculous recovery enough to physically assault his son, the lighting of the torches for no other reason than to have some pyro effects, the weird set transformation to illustrate a dock or whatever it was supposed to be near the end of the first act, etc.).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

neonlightsxo
#90You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/3/14 at 1:54pm

Matt you saw the show in Chicago, correct? They've done some work on the character of Gideon to make him more sympathetic and likeable, just so you know. Before you immediately make judgment on a current product you haven't seen.

Mister Matt
#91You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/3/14 at 2:27pm

I was making a judgment on the production I saw which was in Chicago. Forgot to mention that again, so I apologize for the confusion. If Gideon is more sympathetic now, then great! How did they make him more sympathetic and likable? Did they change his story? Does he have a more admirable reason to start his journey? I'm assuming it was in a few line changes or even line readings, but honestly, did they totally revamp the book, score, staging and choreography to make it more like Billy Elliot? I'm actually really curious because it wasn't just about the Chicago production, but the personality, plot, motivation, arc and other characters' response to Gideon that I was comparing to Billy Elliot. The difference between the production I saw and Billy Elliot were night and day.

Oh! And do they still have the creepy menage-a-trois choreography for that weird love triangle song in the second act? Does the final tableau still not really resemble what it's suggested to look like?

This reminds me of all the jibber-jabber about The Pirate Queen and the HUGE CHANGES they made from Chicago to Broadway and how it was TOTALLY DIFFERENT on Broadway. None of which were huge or fixed anything that anyone (audience, bloggers, critics, etc.) mentioned as being the fatal flaws with the show.

#92You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/3/14 at 2:44pm

whe is this show expected to close?

Mister Matt
#93You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/3/14 at 2:58pm

Sorry, I guess you didn't see the reply in the other thread! Here it is:

I imagine it will close when it closes and not a day before. Our opinions certainly have nothing to do with ticket sales.

#94You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:03pm

or that your employed by the show.

Mister Matt
#95You're famous, but not I think in a good sense to this Chicago reporter
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:09pm

Oh, dear. You don't read any threads before you post, do you?

FYI: you are = you're

iWannaBEaSedaris Profile Photo
iWannaBEaSedaris
#96The Last Ship Previews
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:47pm

I was extremely pleased to see that Kevin McCollum and Jeffery Seller are back to producing together again after their fallout with each other and Robyn Goodman several years back.

neonlightsxo
#97The Last Ship Previews
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:52pm

Mister Matt I don't really understand the hostility you have towards the show. You're allowed to dislike it, but no need to be so angry about it.

They changed Gideon's first song to one that makes him seem more sympathetic rather than angry to be home. The scene with (spoiler) the dying priest is given to him rather than Meg. I don't have a comprehensive list but those are the changes I know about. I didn't say they made "huge changes". They're not going to overhaul the whole thing but they are making an effort.

Jeffrey Seller is the lead producer on the show, with Kevin supporting him. They're not working as a team anymore, but yes, they're both on the show. For the record, I don't work for the show, I just like it and want it to succeed.

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#98The Last Ship Previews
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:53pm

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."
Updated On: 10/7/14 at 03:53 PM

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#99The Last Ship Previews
Posted: 10/3/14 at 3:54pm

"You're allowed to dislike it, but no need to be so angry about it."

Well, as long as he's allowed....

Videos