pixeltracker

It's time for Chicago to go- Page 4

It's time for Chicago to go

CJR
#75re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:45pm

BTW, I veto the idea of Kristen and Idina as Roxie and Velma.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#76re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 5:51pm

CJR-

I didn't see Brooke either. But I have to say I don't really think its fair to judge her performance on a press reel.

I know you know a whole lot about CHICAGO, and I totally respect that. I really do. But a person simply cannot judge a performance on a press reel, no matter how familiar they are with the show, production, other cast members etc.

Just my 2 cents to defend Ms. Shields, whom I've enjoyed in other things.

FoscasBohemianDream
#77re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 6:56pm

I believe that when I saw the show with Brooke Shields I noticed the show was so fresh. She was spectacular in the role, and she was giving all she could as an actress. Brooke Shields knows her limitations as a singer, so she does all she can in terms of acting, and that shows on stage, she was vibrant, completely committed to her role. I have seen Chicago more times than anyone should be allowed to see a Broadway show, and I can tell you that Brooke Shields is one of the Roxies I will definitely remember years after the show closes.
I would love to see Krisin Chenoweth tackle the role of Roxie, but I doubt she'd do it. She doesn't look like the type of person who would be a replacement in a show that is almost 10 years long.

CJR
#78re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 7:48pm

It's more than fair. Press reels are shot during an actual performance.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#79re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 7:51pm

It may be fair, BUT CJR - you know you've always had it in for Brooke since day one.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#80re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 7:58pm

Worst Velma ever.. Jasmine Guy. ( she also happens to be a b***h in real life. )

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#81re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 9:56pm

There's nothing in comparison in a live show/video, but in Brooke's case, seeing her in both will be equally as wooden!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

CJR
#82re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/16/06 at 10:49pm

I didn't have it in for Brooke from day one. (Melanie Griffith, however, is another story entirely) Even though I DISPISED her in Grease!, I liked her in Wonderful Town (and I went so far as to say that here numerous times)... I just thought she was horribly wrong for the role of Roxie. The ghastly wig didnt help matters, but she can't be blamed for that. However, I digress.

In any event, I suppose I'm so firm in my convictions with this one because I don't like to 'settle' with performers in Chicago (or any show for that matter) and I can think of SO many performers who could have (and HAVE) blown Roxie out of the water.

Just sayin

FoscasBohemianDream
#83re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 12:45am

I support Ms.Shields all the way, the audiences loved her, and she was not "wooden." She has become a stage actress and I respect her a lot after she blew me away in Wonderful Town (this is coming from someone who is one of Donna Murphy's biggest fans).
So I think we have established Chicago does not need to go. So everyone please go out there, see the show, stop seeing Phantom and Wicked, and start watching shows that will affect your point of view of life, show business, and people.

Thesbijean
#84re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 12:51am

She was fun, not the best vocally or physically, but she was having a lot of fun on that stage, and in return, so was the audience.

Sant
#85re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:01am

Time for CHICAGO to go?

No, it is not. It is still one of the best shows on Broadway. In every way.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#86re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:11am

Thesbijean!!! That's what's important! Ahh thank you so much for making that sentiment, people here tend to forget that that's what it's all about sometimes!

Thesbijean
#87re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:17am

No problem.

I think some people on this board view belting E's mid air is the only way a performance can be viewed as good...

CJR
#88re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 1:12pm

I'm probably alone on this (because apparently I'm alone on Brooke as Roxie as a whole) but I was going by the overall performance. Yes, she was "fine". She was "fine" for someone who'd never seen Chicago before, or someone who'd only seen it a few times and maybe not seen the cast completely shine. She was "fine" for someone who isn't such a tough critic of the show, like myself.

My statements really didnt have anything to do with her abilities. There were plenty of sour notes hit by Brooke in Wonderful Town and I still enjoyed her nonetheless. I actually saw the show 5 times with her in it, so this isnt a personal vendetta or anything.

There's just a certain something that I feel should be brought to the leads in Chicago. That something that makes me all excited when the curtain goes up... it's something that doesnt make me wish I was elsewhere when one of the leads was performing a solo number onstage.... Brooke, I found, lacked that something as Roxie. For me anyway. But again, Im a really tough critic when it comes to Chicago and you all know that.

ruthiefan_felix
#89re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 2:46pm

I agree with CJR that she was fine ovearall, esp for those who havent seen the show before. But havin seen the show like 5-6 times, she's not great as Roxie. But to be fair, I saw her in her late run in Ldn. But to be honest, she wasn't as bad as Frances Ruffelle! But have to say Brooke Shields looks like a drag queen onstage... she is TOO tall onstage!

NBC
#90re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 4:17pm

I've seen the show many times, and I didn't have any major issues with Brooke's performance. Not the best vocally, but certainly not the worst in the acting, dancing or singing departments. Though I think all Roxies since Melanie have been helped by the fact that I saw that performance, and everyone since has seemed at least passable! (But I can think of a couple of other Roxies off the top of my head who I thought were less enjoyable than Brooke.) I also think that Brooke was helped by the fact that she was paired with Luba Mason, the worst-danced Velma I've seen thus far. (I never saw Jasmine Guy.)

I do think that even when the leads aren't the best, the material and (sometimes) the ensemble make up for it. I think the score and the choreography are better than those of a lot of other shows currently on Broadway. You can almost get away with one or two mediocre leads in that show. But the last time I saw it, with Charlotte and Brenda Braxton, the cast had so much energy and it seemed so fresh that I realized I had almost forgotten what it was like to really enjoy the show and not let it get away with coasting! (And this despite a game but somewhat miscast Huey Lewis.)

"I cried during the Frug." - MC

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#91re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:10pm

Yeah, but for what Luba lacked in the dancing she really made up for it in the singing. But WOW. I've never heard Velma like that. The vocals were FIERCE. The woman is such an incredible vocalist. Also a blonde Velma makes me happy. lol. Don't ask.

Brooke was great. I've said it before. She wasn't the best Roxie, but this was probally the best her dancing has ever been. Vocally she improved a lot. And her acting was VERY unique. As I said, her monologue was just out of this world. That part is really where she came alive.

Ruthiefan, let's be fair. You did see her early in her London run. There was no fooling us, we all knew that was her tryout for the role. She was testing different things with the role. She really grew into the role for her Bway run. I don't know if she was too tall with your London Velma. But she looked DAMN good paired with Luba. Brooke didn't look too tall at all with her.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#92re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 7:44pm

Dame (re Jasmine Guy) don't they usually say it is the least talented people that are the most difficult.

Dollypop, I'm still waiting for the promised casting of Loretta Switt as Billy.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#93re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:11pm

Alterego, I can give you a list of VERY talented people who are VERY difficult.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#94re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:21pm

Anyone here see Caroline O'Connor as Velma?

If the Weisslers asked Caroline back, I'd visit the show again.

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

FoscasBohemianDream
#95re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:28pm

Caroline O'Connor is in my top three Velmas after Bebe Neuwirth and Ute Lemper. I think those are the only three Velmas that I've seen live that I can say I will never forget. They each gave unique performances and truly ignited the show.

CJR
#96re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/17/06 at 10:02pm

I looooooooooooooooooved Caroline. The show at that time was one of my favorites. Caroline, Billy Zane, Charlotte..... oh, one of the best casts.

As for Jasmine Guy, I actually quite liked her. And she was always a sweetheart to me.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#97re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/18/06 at 2:19am

I saw Caroline O'Connor as Velma 3 years before she did it on Broadway when CHICAGO opened in Melbourne.

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#98re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/18/06 at 2:22am

You're not alone there, alterego.

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

ruthiefan_felix
#99re: It's time for Chicago to go
Posted: 2/18/06 at 5:48am

Caroline have done works/shows in Ldn SO many times and still can't bring her into the Ldn show!!!!! *screams & cries*
And I really miss blondes in the Ldn show, everyone have dark wigs nowadays!
And btw, Brooke was tall, I mean CHarley Izabella King was tall, but she was taller still! And the ensemble then was short and to be honest very bad too... therefore due to various reasons it may have dragged the show and made me put all the blame on Brooke. But I didn't like her Roxie. The best thing that night was Clarke Peter as Billy Flynn. After I saw him I said to myself 'he IS Billy Flynn'

Videos