pixeltracker

Sunset Blvd Changes Question- Page 4

Sunset Blvd Changes Question

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#75re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:38pm

"But since she doesn't comment on the matter it is likely to remain a mystery until she releases her autobiography!"

Well, not to the press anyway.....

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#76re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:51pm

Small correction about the audience applause regarding the original levitating mansion set.

The set only received 'entrance' applause during it's first reveal.

Norma's mansion set first appeared slowly gliding downstage as a scrim is raised exposing it. The lights slowly rose on the set as it made it's stop. It didn't make it's first entrance 'being lowered'.

The first time we see the levitating effect is when Joe bolts out of Norma's New Year's Eve party. As Norma's mansion set is levitating, Artie Green's crowded apartment set slowly glides downstage underneath the 'suspended' mansion set -- giving the audience a cinematic split-screen effect; you can see the action taking place at both locations simutaneously.

C is for Company
#77re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/15/07 at 7:56pm

That sounds like such an extraordinary image. I really wish there were more photos on the internet of some of these shots.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#78re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/15/07 at 8:10pm

Im trying to remember which Souvenier Brochure had that effect pictured best - It was impressive... I also enjoyed watching the mansion disappear after Norma says to Joe "We'll begin at NINE sharp" - it backs up and starts to ascend and then disappears as she walked up the stairs.

The new year's scene with the split was great - but in all honesty, was a bit too much to take in because it was hard to focus on any one thing.

In that regard - the 2nd Tour version was effective. If I remember correctly - at certain parts during "This Time Next Year" they'd light up Norma in the mansion, pacing alone - dancing alone - growing sadder and more alone by the minute leading to her "suicide attempt". It just seemed to work better to me

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#79re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/15/07 at 8:54pm

I guess the only explanation as to why the rights are not available is that there is either a movie being seriously considered or ALW really feels that the show needs a new production to finalize it before it goes anywhere. Anyone know anything official?

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

#80re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:18am

I'mn thrilled to have sparked such a discussion.

OK so I own the Canadian cast and last year's remaster of the LA cast--I asked about changes, but musically, besides Patti is there any reason to invest in the original cast CD too that fans of the show on here can give me?
|
As for rights--are community theatre rights for Aspects of Love available or have they ever been or is that in the same limbo as Sunset? (I knwo Gayle Edwards was attached to a film a few years back)

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#81re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:27am

I know theres been very limited permission granted for Aspects - I think thats par for the course with ALW stuff - I really hope the UK Tour develops into a full blown West End revival and maybe a broadway transfer......

Anyway - The London Sunset - if for History sake is definitely worth it. What hasn't been said -- I much prefer Kevin Anderson as Joe Gillis to anyone I've heard or seen. Just had a good look and sound for the role. His "Sunset Boulevard" is awesome. And of the whole recording - Patti and Kevin's The Perfect Year was - well - Perfect. Best version I heard.

Also like the guitar/orchestrations to Girl Meets Boy on the london recording.

Hey - you sparked all this discussion - shouldn't you own the CD's too?

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#82re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:07am

My thoughts exactly. Besides Patti, Kevin Anderson is one big reason to buy the London recording. A perfect voice and I also have yet to find a Joe better than him and both Daniel Benzaliand Meredith Braun are great Max and Betty. Also, some of the original orchestrations ('Let's have lunch', for example)just sound better.

Plus, all the songs are in the original higher key that was later lowered to fit Glenn's modest vocal abilities; I think 'With one look' shows it best.

Definitely worth buying it.

#83re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 2:39am

I own two cds already :P I'll keep an eye for a cheap copy of the original Cast though when I can afford it.

It's interesting it's not been remastered/repacakged but the later LA one has been--it seems ReallyUseful/ALW has tried to keep one major recording of their major works emphasised--prob the one they feel best represents the show. Which is why I suspect we will get the complete Evita remastered within the next year--they didn't do it with the other remasters probablyc uz they wanted to keep the new recording the focus (their website has only one link to one major recording for each show)

On Amazon's reviews (which are typically pretty nutty as most of their Lloyd Webber fan reviews are) someone complains that the show was all recorchestrated for LA (*the whole show??*) and that what in London was spoken is now sung--but I noticed the London cast album is 30 mins shorter (and not too much longer than the Canadian one really) so maybe they got confused on that last bit... Or was that much more music added between London and LA?

One more--Was Barrowman ever recorded? i love his clip with Betty Buckley at the Olivier's on Youtube although (as is my usual complaint with Barrowman) he's a bit too Tom Cruise to play a sligthly washed up Hollywood type IMHO but

Updated On: 5/16/07 at 02:39 AM

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#84re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 3:22am

Some orchestrations on the LA recording sound a bit different and have a less classical sound. The London recording lacks some of the dialogue, but it's more complete than the Canadian one.

#85re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:32am

Sorry I know I'm not being too clear. I just meant--that reviewer implied the London original used more dialogue while the LA and future productions used more recitative (sp lol) etc (and I guess the Schulman 2nd tour returned to using more dialogue) is this true--or does the LA just have more recorded than the London? I know of course the London album is longer than the Canadian--being on 2 cds--but it seems to only be about 20 mins longer whereas the LA is 50 mins longer.

E

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#86re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:54am

Eric -

Yes - the London production had more dialogue - for example the scene during Lets Have Lunch where Joe is talking to the guy from Paramount in London originally was a spoken scene. Once they got to LA they made it sung thru. Also where there were moments of dialogue in the LA version, ALW underscored it as well.

The 2nd US tour did return some lines to dialogue but it wasn't a great deal or a huge ammount. If I remember correctly it was a couple of lines for emphasis.

The biggest change on the tour if I remember is that the finale was also streamlined a bit - with also some flashbacks and stuff. I can't remember exactly, but I do remember feeling more satisfied with that ending

#87re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 8:17am

It's interesting that originally ALW (I assume) considered it less of a sung thru musical--seeing how that's his prefered way to work--it seems (in the late 80s he was particularly proud of working in sung thru works)

Sant
#88re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 8:40am

I have all the 3 English cast recordings of the show and each of them has qualities that the others don't:

LONDON ORIGINAL: best singing, especially "With One Look" - it's in the original key, the tempo doesn't 'go back and forth'. Sadly, a lot of the dialogue was cut from this one.

AMERICAN PREMIERE: best covering of the show, has practically the whole show recorded. Sure, Close's not the best singer, emotionally she's the strongest.

CANADIAN RECORDING: best orchestra sound. It's the biggest (to my knowledge) of these Sunset Orchestras with 56-piece orchestra (23 theatre musicians and 33 additionals) playing the score.

Each has its pros and cons but I think each one is worth buying.
Updated On: 5/16/07 at 08:40 AM

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#89re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:27am

All this talk of changes to the show really make me want a chance to see clips of the 2nd national tour. Sunset was one of the Albums that my theater friends and I would listen to in high school and College when we were on long road trips-(along with into the woods and JCS - we were big losers!LOL). I feel like I can recite the show backwards and forwards. I saw all three of the "Stars" on Broadway and I remember that staging so vividly-I really wish I could see the other staging.

BrodyFosse123
#90re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 12:46pm

Since I guess I'm the only one with a video of the now-popular 2nd US National Tour -- I'll try to post something soon on that site. Since Petula's "With One Look" is hilarious, I'll most likely post that. I'll probably post some other scenes just so you guys can get a look at the staging, etc. Fair enough?

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#91re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:02pm

That would be great! And if you happen to get Lewis Cleale in his swim suit...oh well. re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question

BrodyFosse123
#92re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:13pm

Smart call. I actually watched that sequence the other night -- not bad. He actually does the entire numer in his square-cut swimming trunks. Again...not bad. re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#93re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 1:15pm

On opening night in LA, I just remember the audience gasping when the set slid back and then floated up. I got a bit of vertigo, sitting in the fifth row. I just remember thinking, “Whoa! What is going on?!” and then, “Man, that was so QUIET!”

The audience was totally blown away that that HUGE set seemed to magically, and silently float up and back. It was very surreal.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

BrodyFosse123
#94re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 3:23pm

Neverandy --- I received your PM, but unfortunately you have PMs blocked, therefore I couldn't respond to it.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#95re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 3:24pm

That's weird. I get PM's all the time.
I'll check it out

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#96re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:05pm

There's a picture of the title song on Petula's website for the Atlanta stop.

re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question

http://www.petulaclark.net/theatre/sunsettourjournal.html
Updated On: 5/16/07 at 04:05 PM

BrodyFosse123
#97re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:09pm

Here you go...

re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#98re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:12pm

There was a video of her "With One Look" and some tv spots that I was watching the other day on the website, but now I can't find them. The site is so hard to navigate.

simon_wilkie
#99re: Sunset Blvd Changes Question
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:21pm

Just "re-imagining" the 2nd US Tour as I type (can't afford a lawyer lol!). Currently on Every Movie's a Circus. I really don't like Petula. Too too comic. It's as if Mel Brooks or Forbidden Broadway have decided to restage Sunset. Her Salome is ridiculous. And the way she swoons over Joe on the chez longue singing "You know I'm right..." PLEASE!!! I'm quite looking forward to getting to New Ways to Dream, a good old laugh never hurt anyone! It's ages since I "re-imagined" this version of the show. Never saw it live- maybe it was better then?

I just thank God they didn't put Pet into a bikini for the opening of Act 2!

Simon

Videos