pixeltracker

Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT- Page 4

Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#75re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:42pm

I have never seen Fantasia before the Tony's last night. I have watched American Idol just once.

This was my impression. I was impressed the artist's vocal quality, dramatic rendering and presence, howerver the song she sang was god awful.

I would like to hear her sing something else before truly judging but I'm sure you could do wonders with "brotherhood of Man", " God Bless the Child?="I'm telling you I'm not going, or "You can't stop the beat" or a myriad of other good songs. but that song was unactable. The performer gave it 100%

Performance A
Song D-

Malaijah
#76re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:51pm

TheatreDiva, the problem seems to be that YOU can't grasp the fact that Fantasia actually has fans. I've seen you comment in thread after thread about your disdain for her, even with your attempts to seem neutral and sane.

Let people enjoy Fantasia. There's no need to go around beating people up for being fans. It's funny that you always seem to make your way to any topic re: Fantasia when it's clear that you don't appreciate her talent.

Anyway, I loved her performance last night. I was in the middle of a card game when she came on, and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. She really is a splended storyteller. Taye and wifey looked liked they were thinking "dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn, that girl can sing." Loved it.

Conquered:TCP DC W Soon: JB LK LM

Virgo
#77re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:57pm

Okay you know the performance was kick a$$ live when you've got "Spring" producer Tom Hulce raving in the press room. He has absolutely no connection to Fantasia whatsoever, he just won the biggest Tony prize of the night, yet, he's back in the press room raving over her performance. WOW, now talk about the ultimate compliment. Looks like Tom Hulce rates it an A. He could have totally ignored her existence but he didn't. That was nice. I can't get over how all these broadway big wigs from real critics to tony winner producers just love her performance in or out of the context of the musical/play.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117966646.html?categoryId=15&cs=1

"Fantasia Barrino, fresh off a perf on the Tonycast that had "Spring" producer Tom Hulce raving, came to the press room and talked about what it's like to get great reviews for her turn in "The Color Purple."

"It's a blessing," she said.

Also a blessing was the guy who trailed behind her, carrying the train of her dress.

"It's heavy!" she laughed."

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#78re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:57pm

eh...

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

Virgo
#79re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:04pm

"I would like to hear her sing something else before truly judging but I'm sure you could do wonders with "brotherhood of Man", " God Bless the Child?="I'm telling you I'm not going, or "You can't stop the beat" or a myriad of other good songs. but that song was unactable. The performer gave it 100% "

Goldenboy, if you want to hear her sing something else before judging her, why not go check her out in "The color purple"? Then you'll have 2.45 hours worth of material to judge her on, not just singing but acting as well. I find it odd that people on the broadway board keep looking for "more" when she's on broadway right now. She's giving you more live 8 times a week.

But you're right about the song. "I'm Here" is a song that most people have never heard of until recently when Fantasia starting singing it live on national tv. It isn't a song like "And I'm telling you" (an instant winner for anyone who sings it from Bainca Ryan to Jennifer hudson) that has been famous for over 20 years thanks to Jennifer Holliday. I think if people were more familiar with the song those who didn't like it would have enjoyed it more. Updated On: 6/11/07 at 04:04 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#80re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:28pm

"TheatreDiva, the problem seems to be that YOU can't grasp the fact that Fantasia actually has fans. I've seen you comment in thread after thread about your disdain for her"

Um, no I NEVER said that I disliked her. Could you please remind me where I said that?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Malaijah
#81re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:42pm

No, I can not. I have a job and life that keep me pretty busy, so I can't sort through postings for something that is totally obvious, although you try to mask it...

Enough about you anyway, back to that amazing performance re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT

**exits**
I'm beautiful, yes i'm beautifulllllllll. And. I'm. Herrrrrrrrre!

Conquered:TCP DC W Soon: JB LK LM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#82re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:27pm

Thanks for telling me to go to the Color Purple but Goldenboy (me) lives in Florida and goes to NY for 7 days and crams in 12 shows that he wants to see in those seven days.

Color Purple has not made my list simply because I can't listen to that awful music on the Color Purple CD. I can't imagine it improving on the wonderful movie with that music and the reviews I've read tend to reflect that.

I've seen sniippets of Color Purple on past telecasts and the performers look accomplished and great and commited to what they are doing; but the material (from what I've seen and listenned to) seems to be lacking.

I am willing to say that I would be interested in seeing it in person and changing my mind but frankly at 100 bucks a seat, I am probably not going to. Due to distance, I am probably not going to. Because I'd rather see Spring Awakening or Grey Gardens, I probably not going to. So I'm telling you, I'm not going-- ----------------especially not to give a better Fantasia review on a Broadway Theatre thread.. Her career will survive without my review-good or bad.

The thread is for Fantasia's performance. Not having seen her before I thought I was an objective voice. I said I was impressed with the performer but not the song and another song would have showcased the singer better. Again.....My going to NY to see Fantasia in the color purple will not have any effect on her career nor my opinion that the performer is talented; the song is awful.

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#83re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:07pm

The TONYS are a celebration of theater, past present and future!

Period.

The trophy itself is a token of gratitude for a job well done, and some encouragement to keep the art growing.

I'm not a "Fantasia Fan", but I know and appreciate good talent when I hear it, and that was good!

As for the crying, it happens to the best of us when we truly believe what we are singing.

Here's to next season!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#84re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:08pm

I thought she was good.

croft
#85re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:09pm

No she doesn't always cry but she pretty much always brings the house down !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSQt_X2AUak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLegn2tmKB8

brad3 Profile Photo
brad3
#86re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:11pm

she was good.

I didn't understand why she was there but she was good.
Updated On: 6/11/07 at 06:11 PM

TheatreDiva90016
#87re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:17pm

"No, I can not."

Because I haven't said ANYTHING negative against her. If I have, then prove it. If you can't then shut your pie hole.

All I said was she cries all the time and I have no idea (along with many others) WHY she AND Jersey Boys were performing.

Stop deluding yourself.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

dream on
#88re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:29pm

Theatrediva This is your quote:

Because it's a cheap 'American Idol' tie in. These folks are not Broadway Icons like Liza, or Chita. She's some "of the moment" pop singer.

How you can compare the two, I'll never know.

Now something tells me that you don't care for Fantasia. So why waste so many hours on her?

Updated On: 6/11/07 at 06:29 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#89re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:30pm

The connection to the Reginal Theatre was a stretch, but I didn't mind her being there.
I did have trouble understanding her lyrics and I agree the song is dreadful.

jimnysf
#90re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:31pm

Don't blame CBS. They wanted "Legally Blonde". Check the facts as previously reported here and in the newspapers. "LB" had been told they were going to perform and then there was an outcry from producers of other shows and the Tony people stepped in and uninvited "LB". Instead, they put "Color Purle" and "Jersey Boys" in just so they could drum up publicity for the National Tours of those shows. That is the only reason they were there because they did NOT belong. Pure and Simple. You "fangirls" got it wrong. The Tonys are there to celebrate the shows of the season, not past seasons. As I said before, why were't "Hairspray", or "Chicago" invited to perform when "celebrities" were cast in those shows? Because they did not belong and neither does Ms Fantasia or the Jersey Boys! Plain and simple. Get over it fangirls.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

TheatreDiva90016
#91re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:37pm

Dream On,

It's all in how YOU twist things around to suit yourself. And Virgo and the other 'fans' on Fantasia.

I'm not the only ne that feels this way. I just have the balls to say it.

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#92re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:41pm

Enough already kids.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#93re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:41pm

Regardless of what I thought of her being there, she did give a great performance.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

dream on
#94re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:42pm

TheatreDiva- That was your quote from this thread. There are more.
I suggest you get over the fact that Fantasia is here and she is not going anywhere - to your dismay.

And her fans are here as well- move over and make room for us- there are more than you can even imagine.

To the others complaining and whining still- The Tony Awards is now over - And Fantasia appeared. Its in the past.

jimnysf
#95re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:45pm

Is she new to Broadway? I seem to remember a "Fantasia" that also worked Broadway/Times Square back in the day.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

TheatreDiva90016
#96re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:55pm

Here's a place for you to go then, and you'll be surrounded by like-minded people...

"There are more."
Then show me.
Click

Updated On: 6/11/07 at 06:55 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#97re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:06pm

Oh God, and I thought Orfeh fans were scary. It's true that Fantasia had no business being at the ceremony, and if she was going to be there as a celebrity performer then she should have performed a song that was not from THE COLOR PURPLE. I've seen her do the song before on Oprah and I enjoyed it, at last night's show I thought it was the most overrated of the evening if not the season.
Go back to the older ceremonies, not too long ago Bernadette Peters and Liza Minnelli stopped the show when they opened the ceremony, another great opening belonged to Rosie O'Donnell, Jane Krakowski, Megan Mullally and Jesse L. Martin in 2002. If you want real class, go back to the ceremony where Gwen Verdon, Hellen Gallagher, Donna McKechnie and another famous triple-threat that I'm forgetting now opened the show. Another year Anita Morris danced "You Gotta Get a Gimmick." Now, those were true performances that merited to make it into the ceremony. I found Fantasia's performance truly unnecessary. It's my opinion, I respect those who think she was fantastic, but the whole attacking TheatreDiva for expressing his opinion is terribly absurd.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dream on
#98re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:39pm

Oh please - ray

What did Theatrediva ask you to come in and defend him,
This is a RATE the PERFORMANCE thread- not a why is she crying, why did she perform thread.

He never did rate the performance. He just pops in threads for the drama. He knows it and so does everyone else,

And thank you for your interest in Fantasia - whatever it may be- because you keep bumping this thread to the top of the list.

We appreciate you very much.

Peace.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#99re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:47pm

Once again, as I have done on so many of these Tony threads, I will take the unpopular road...I thought Fantasia was good but not great...guess I missed something. Personally, I prefer LaChanze.

Videos