Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT

musicman_17082
#1Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:25am

It's been mentioned on other threads... but I thought she deserved a thread of her own.

Tonight I thought she did excellent. I must admit it was nowhere near as amazing as it was when I saw her do it live in the show... but I thought she still delivered an excellent performance. She seemed to add a bit more "pop" flare to her performance (the riffs and all, etc) as she has in most of her TV appearances, but overall I was pleased.

Opinions? Tony performance vs. performance in the show?

Rotel1026
#2re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:26am

I thought she did great but I've seen her do that song on AI, Oprah, Regis and Kelly and now the Tony's. I'd like to see her do something else now, and does she cry at every single performance with that song?

musicman_17082
#2re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:27am

By the way... I rate it as one of the highlights of the night! Definitely one of my favorite moments of this year's Tony's re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#3re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:32am

This was my first introduction to Fantasia never having had watched American Idol or seen her anywhere. I was very impressed with her vocal presentation, dramatic presentation and prescence but I must say I did not like the song she sang.I found it unmelodic and uninvolving.

I would like to see her do something else like "im telling you I'm not going." or "You can't stop the beat." or "Brotherhood of Man or something from "Ain't Misbehavin" or something that will show her off to her best advantage. But geesh, that song was abysmal.

MissPB
#4re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:44am

I thought is was a fantastic performance and definitely the highlight of evening. They did "pop" the song up (it was much faster and they left off the beginning lyrics)...but it was still awesome to me!

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#5re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:00am

Definitley my favorite part of the Awards tonight. I definitley liked last year's better.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#6re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:01am

She was pretty good I must say, and of course when she left the stage she was...crying! She knows how to please me!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

allvocal Profile Photo
allvocal
#7re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:05am

ugh.. Why was she even there?? Her speach impediment annoys me.

rgaywrites Profile Photo
rgaywrites
#8re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:11am

allvocal- Is her speech impediment as annoying as your spelling impediment?

Jowy
#9re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:13am

I don't care for her at all and don't think she should have been performing in the first place, but I must say that she was quite good.

Virgo
#10re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:16am

She did really well. She acted the song out EXTREMELY well (no wonder she got RAVE critics reviews), the lighting was great, the music accompaniment was awesome and very powerful. A+

I can't believe her voice is so smooth after two months of non stop singing of this very challenging song on stage 8 times a week.

i thought everyone was great, minus jersey boys.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:19am

Oh please, she just stood there, sang an abridged version of the song and moved on. It was actually pretty lackluster and made no sense within the context of the ceremony. I much preferred her performance of the song in the other dozen TV shows she has performed it at.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

allvocal Profile Photo
allvocal
#12re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:28am

Rgaywrites =Is her speech impediment as annoying as your spelling impediment?

I'd say her speech impediment is more annoying than my spelling impediment... yes.

jimnysf
#13re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:33am

WHY DOES "COLOR PURPLE" GET TO PERFORM WHEN SHOWS FROM THIS SEASON ("Legally Blonde") DO NOT? Same goes for "Jersey Boys". They got their moment last year.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#14re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:36am

She gave the best performance of the night and I am not even a Fantasia fan.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#15re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:36am

That's what I was going to ask, why was she there?

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#16re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:37am

That's what I was going to ask, why was she there?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#17re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:38am

If you don't know why she was there, then you weren't paying attention to the telecast.

She was brilliant. She deserves a special Tony next year.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jimnysf
#18re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:39am

She should not have been on the show and neither should "The Jersey Boys". They were on last year. There were plenty of other musicals from this year that should have been given a chance to perform. It's obvious "JB" and "Purple" were given special treatment. The Tonys are a bore. The best part about the whole show were the commercials for "Hairspray" and "Laughlin, Nevada".

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#19re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:40am

She was there because the theatre in Atlanta (I forgot the exact name) won the Regional Tony Award. This theatre produced "The Color Purple" before it came to Broadway. So to honor them, and advertise for the show, Fantasia sang the song that she has perfected!
Updated On: 6/11/07 at 01:40 AM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#20re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:42am

Correct.

They always have a "celebrity" performer anyway, and it just worked out that they could combine the two.

And the reason that LEGALLY BLONDE and LOVEMUSIK were denied performances has nothing to do with why Fantasia was asked to perform.

Completely different circumstances, completely different reasons.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Virgo
#21re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:43am

LOL at the arm chair critics saying bad stuff about her performance. When you've been praised by the toughest REAL NY critics for this performance LIVE on stage every night, not only singing it but ACTING it, who cares what a few arm chair doubters think, who will never witness it live anyway? Too funny.

jimnysf, perhaps blonde will get to perform next year. But I don't know by then there might be someone else new who takes broadway by storm. But perhaps they can get involved next year in the capacity that Jersey Boy's was involved this year.

Anyway, there are a lot of amazing pictures of this performance all around the web. There is one where she is pointing up to the sky in like a haze. It's wonderful.

I agree, they do always have a "celebrity" performer and this year it was Fantasia. I have no idea why people are still complaining when there have been celebrity singers who've performed and weren't even even in a broadway show at all, let alone be a critically acclaimed Broadway actress to boot. That's Fantasia.

re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT

Anyway,
Updated On: 6/11/07 at 01:43 AM

jimnysf
#22re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:44am

And why were Jersey Boys there? Did they win a regional award, too? Neither shows were from this season and neither should have been allowed to perform.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#23re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:01am

"It was actually pretty lackluster and made no sense within the context of the ceremony"

Because 'The Revolutionary Costume for Today' (which was great) fits right on in!

Fantasia ripped that stage in half tonight. It was more than incredible and I was doubting she was doing as well as people and critics say. If she's doing at least that eight times a week, then she's doing more than a phenomenal job. She was the greatest part of the entire program. Brava Miss Barrino.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#24re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:15am

She was light years better than LaChanze. I am not even a Fantasia fan, and I thought she did an amazing job.

Videos