pixeltracker

The Wedding Singer Tour Official Thread. Cast Announced.- Page 4

The Wedding Singer Tour Official Thread. Cast Announced.

broadwaybaby086
#75re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 10/13/07 at 2:59am

Those videos are....strange. The cast is definitely young. It's really strange to see different faces in the costumes.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#76re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 10/13/07 at 4:27am

Hmmm They added a california stop. Good, now I can see it. Quite a drive from LA but eh I'll do it.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#77re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 10/13/07 at 7:08am

Amazing, I saw it twice. BWW's own Beau Higgins review:

'The Wedding Singer' - A Joyous Affair

Thursday, October 4, 2007; Posted: 10:21 AM - by Beau Higgins

Frankly, dear reader, I must tell you I am surprised at the review I am about to write. THE WEDDING SINGER, the musical comedy based on the film starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, opened last night at the Broward Center and I simply loved it.

Having never seen the film, I am not positive why I was expecting a less than favorable experience. Instinctively, I believe it may be the television commercial for this national tour. That commercial captures neither the humor nor the heart of this delightful confection.

The story is simple. We follow Robbie Hart, the title character, crooning his way as lead singer of a wedding band. Robbie gets dumped by his fiance, goes into a deep depression, and is helped by his band mates and his grandma, Rosie. Robbie gets varying kinds of help from others in his world, but his heart truly goes pitter pat when he meets Julia. So what if she happens to be engaged?

This show’s book by Chad Beguelin and Tim Herlihy (based on the script for the film written by Mr. Herlihy) has something not often found in musicals. Its structure is practically perfert, allowing all the creative forces to reach for the top of their game, and they almost always succeed. The show is witty, and sometimes downright funny. It is also sexy, a bit raunchy, certainly adult, has lots of warmth and exudes charm.

The lyrics to the songs, supplied by Mr. Beguelin, are some of the cleverest and most humorous since Sondheim began his reign. Two of the songs in THE WEDDING SINGER are credited to Adam Sandler and Tim Herlihy. ‘Somebody Kill Me Please,’ is about as funny as theater songs get and ‘Grow Old With You’ is lovely and poignant.

The music by Matthew Sklar is tuneful, catchy and sometimes touching. The score flows seamlessly through this musical, fitting the book like a tailor made glove.

A large bravo is in order for the creatives of THE WEDDING SINGER. The scenic design by Scott Pask is most impressive. His designs are fresh, flashy, funny and very fine.

His work is complemented by the thoughtful and clever costume designs by Gregory Gale and the lighting by Brian MacDevitt. Huge kudos to Rob Ashford for his award caliber choreography. Mr. Ashford’s work here is great. The show rarely stops moving and the dancing is as gleeful as it is exuberant.

Under the steady handed direction of John Rando, all the pieces come together and THE WEDDING SINGER never has a moment when it is not fun.

Bob Cline Casting did a perfect job finding performers for whom their roles seem to have been written. A beautiful voiced Merritt David Janes in the title role, nails all the humor, and also nails the longing and hurt of Robbie Hart.

Erin Elizabeth Coors is a sublime singer, dancer, and actress. She is delightful and delivers a thoroughly winning performance. A delicious performance is given by Penny Larsen as Grandma Rosie, a wonderfully written part, matched with the perfect performer.

The same may be said for Justin Jutras and John Jacob Lee, the other members of the wedding band. Seeming to play parts created for them, these guys are just great.

THE WEDDING SINGER is filled with joy and surprising cleverness. The audience last night seemed to almost unanimously love this show. What a wonderful way to kick off the new Fort Lauderdale Broadway series. The final performance of THE WEDDING SINGER at The Broward Center is October 14.

https://florida.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=21906

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

SweetQintheLights
#78re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 10/14/07 at 5:13pm

I just got home from the show (the last show in Ft. Lauderdale is tonight.)
My question is: Why did they take out the song "Pop!" That's one of my favorite songs.

I drove 30 minutes and parked for 10$ hoping there was student rush (I heard there wasn't)- but I was going to buy a ticket regardless. Thankfully, I asked and they did have rush for 20$ and....I got the 3rd row!!

Personally, I liked Stephen Lynch better than Merritt (but he wasn't bad to any extent.) I wasn't too fond of Sammy at the beginning but he grew on me as the show continued. The order of the Julia's I have: Tina Maddigan, Laura Benanti, and then Erin. Erin almost seemed too hyper for her own good.

The guy who played Glen seemed to be detached from the performance. On the other hand, I adore Richard Blake both in Hairspray and Wedding Singer.

Linda and Holly were probably the 2 best standouts.

They all had a ton of energy but most of the leads seemed to have a lack of chemistry with the others.

I enjoyed the show overall- it just wasn't Broadway.

**At the end, when Robbie took off Julia's garter, he kinda mouthed, "where are you"- it was quite obvious. Some lady in the front row raised her hand and he threw it to her.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

muscle23ftl
#79re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 10/14/07 at 10:29pm

They really told me they didn't offer student rush last week!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

mauriposa
#80re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:14pm

Thanks, sgv123, for posting those videos. You just saved me a 5+ hour drive to Wisconsin.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#81re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 11/15/07 at 12:33am

Just caught the tour in Louisville, KY and loved it! Like "Hairspray," this is one of those musicals that is just plain fun. The cast was wonderful, especially Merrit David Janes as Robbie and Erin Elizabeth Coors as Julia. If I wasn't so tired I'd write more, but I have to echo muscle's review. If the tour stops in your town, go! You won't be disappointed.

RentBoy86
#82re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 11/15/07 at 9:22am

I think Holly and Linda are always the stand-outs. They have the two roles that are written so they're actually interesting. Like many people have said before, it's not a good idea when the audience cares more for the supporting roles than the leads.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#83re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 3/13/08 at 12:35am

Just saw the tour tonight here in St. Louis and I absolutely LOVED the show! It was terrific! I really enjoyed Erin Elizabeth Coors who played Julia. What a beautiful voice she has. The whole cast was great! If you get the chance to see it, definitely do.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#84re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 3/13/08 at 9:53am

I did a show with Justin Jutras--glad to see he's workin'!

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#85re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 3/13/08 at 11:17am

Don't me misguided by the promo vids for this tour. They don't do justice to the brilliance that is this show and cast. I saw it in Columbus, OH for free (love MySpace) and am going to try and work it out to pay and see it in Pittsburgh next month.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

AndAllThatJazz22
#86re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 3/26/09 at 6:18pm

looks like this tour is getting back on the road

http://www.broadwayacrossamerica.com/Salt%20Lake%20City

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

muscle23ftl
#87re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 3/27/09 at 4:06am

That's great, Im looking forward to seeing this again soon!

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#88re: The Wedding Singer Tour
Posted: 3/27/09 at 12:02pm

Wait the show is touring again? Their website doesn't seem to be listing it. Who is playing Robbie then?

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

Videos