pixeltracker

Most Overrated of the Season...- Page 4

Most Overrated of the Season...

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#75re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:18am

I'm going to put it out there right now that I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS YET, but from what I know of the show, I already don't want to: Passing Strange.

Everyone seems to love it, but I don't get the appeal. The songs I've heard have left me completely cold.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Roscoe
#76re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:25am

Yes, I suppose the revival of SUNDAY IN THE FRIDGE could be seen as groundbreaking, in that it breaks new ground in emotionally barren theatre, taking what can be a very moving work of theatre and completely miscasting it, and then adding insult to injury by reducing one of the loveliest scores in musical theatre to a tinny mess.

Feh.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#77re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:32am

Overrated Play: The Seafarer
While the acting was terrific, the first act didn't have much to do with what happened in the second and it took forever it get started. I just don't think it amounted to much.

Also: Eurydice and The Brothers Size, which both had interesting sets/uses of space but were otherwise total wastes of time for me.

Overrated Musical: A Catered Affair
It felt incredibly long and way too short at the same time. I thought it made all the leads sound like they couldn't sing. It was depressing and kept repeating the same thing over and over again. Again, it never really amounted to anything.

Also: The Glorious Ones, which was incredibly tedious and deserved bad reviews instead of the mixed ones it got.

And now so this post isn't entirely negative, a short list of UNDERRATED shows from the past season for me:

Doris to Darlene, A Cautionary Valentine
Queens Boulevard (the musical)
Election Day
Celia
Yank!
Things We Want

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#78re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:36am

And before I get any more PM's telling me to keep my mouth shut until I see it, let me just say that I plan to eventually see PAssing Strange anyway.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#79re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:41am

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated: Anything in Sarah Ruhl's twee, self-impressed canon.

Underrated: IPHEGENIA 2.0

Overrated in general: I dunno. Is anyone else getting major Nathan Lane burnout? I mean, must he do a show EVERY season??

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Roscoe
#80re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:49am

And must Nathan Lane deliver pretty much the same performance year after year after year?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

...5678 Profile Photo
#81re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 10:54am

Ugh, Passing Strange.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#82re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 11:31am

I have no problem with the orchestra. And talking about ground breaking, I am talking about using animation and projection in the scenary and light design category. True there are other shows which have used these technologies before but not as successfully as Sunday.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#83re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 11:44am

Interesting...cause I found the projections obvious and distracting in SITPWG...and the reduced orchestra was a big mistake, imo. I enjoyed it because I love the show, but was definitely disappointed. The best thing it had going for it was Mary Beth Piel...definitely overrated.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Roscoe
#84re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 11:48am

I thought the projections in SUNDAY were pretty cool, but over-used and ultimately distracting.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#85re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 12:42pm

ohh shush, Roscoe!

all you do is come on here to try and kill the brilliant SUNDAY revival.

Roscoe
#86re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:39pm

Oh shush TDH. All I do is come on here and post my opinions.

Trekkie2
#87re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 2:44pm

I heart BWW fights. Even the totally pointless ones over the projections used in the revival of SITPWG

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#88re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 6:27pm

is that comment intended for me, Trekkie?

my argument is certainly not about the projections... I'm simply complaning that Roscoe's goal is to try and bash a show that's a brilliant underrated MASTERPIECE.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#90re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/13/08 at 6:56pm

o'fan, I was thinking the same thing. Amend mine from PS to Cry-Baby. Or maybe tie them. (And yes, I've seen both.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Videos