Most Overrated of the Season...

christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
#1Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:12pm

Since there is a thread about everyone's favroites of the season, how about a thread about the overrated things of the season...

Most Overrated Musical: Passing Strange
Most Overrated Preformance: Patty LuPone in Gyspy (I know I'm throwing myself to the wolves)

heathurrr
#2re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:13pm

I agree with Passing Strange... I just don't get the hype.
(I completely disagree with you on Patti, but we'll let that go)

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#2re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:15pm

Definitely passing strange
as for performance, I havent really thought of any performances as overrated so far.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3re: Most Overrated of the Season...

A landslide for Passing Strange

Poster Emeritus

christhefish
#4re: Most Overrated of the Season...

Its not that I think her preformance is bad, I just don't think she is as amazing as she is getting credit for

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#5re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:17pm

Passing Strange, for musical.

I am going to say Rock 'n Roll for play. I was bored to pieces by it, but I know many people who loved it. I just didn't like it, and felt the whole thing dragged on and on.

The most overrated performance of the season (for me) was Lin Manuel-Miranda in In the Heights. Not sure what the hype was all about.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#6re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:18pm

"Most Overrated Preformance: Patty LuPone in Gyspy (I know I'm throwing myself to the wolves)"

Last night I mentioned that I felt Faith Prince has a good shot at the Tony and heads exploded.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#7re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:21pm

Overrated show: PASSING STRANGE or SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE...probably PASSING STRANGE though
Overrated performance: James Earl Jones, CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:22pm

This thread would have a point if you could back up your opinions, but it is just a list of shows and performers you either didn't like or didn't get, which doesn't make them overrated...Patti Lupone? SITPWG? Please.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 5/12/08 at 08:22 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:25pm

To Eris

You have just made Dollypop's **** list with your statement re Lupone

Poster Emeritus

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#10re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:25pm

I can't really judge because I haven't seen it but I've seen videos, South Pacific. Not my type of show

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#11re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:27pm

blaxx, there is a difference between not liking something and finding it overrated. For example, when I saw Hairspray for the first time I just thought it didn't live up its hype, while I still loved the musical and it was much better the second time when I wasn't expecting "the best musical that broadway has EVER seen" you know?

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

WiCkEDrOcKS
#12re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:30pm

I reviewed SUNDAY IN THE PARK on this board when I saw it a few weeks ago...and I justified my views in my review.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:31pm

Mealz, your example backs up your opinion. Listing random shows/performers that posters either didn't like or didn't get does not - I'd love to hear why Lupone is overrated.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BenKaye Profile Photo
BenKaye
#14re: Most Overrated of the Season...

I hope all you people saying "Passing Strange" have actually SEEN the show.

My blog- http://okayentertainment.blogspot.com/

WiCkEDrOcKS
#15re: Most Overrated of the Season...

And just because you think a show/performance is overrated doesn't mean you think it's terrible. I enjoyed SUNDAY I just didn't think it was as amazing as most critics and people on BWW made it out to be, therefore, I found it underwhelming and overrated.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#16re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:32pm

Mr. Roxy...sorry but I found Ms. Prince's performance to be absolutely riveting and I think she has a decent shot at the award.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#17re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:32pm

A Catered Affair.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#18re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:33pm

Overrated New Musical: In the Heights
Overrated Revival: South Pacific
Overrated Performances: Paulo Szot in South Pacific

christhefish
#19re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:34pm

blaxx, Like I said above its not that I didn't enjoy Patty's performance, I just felt that it paled in comparison to Bernadette's performance a few years ago. I also missed the sexier take that Bernadette put into Mama Rose. It's not that there was anything technically wrong with Patty's Rose, I just don't feel that it worth all of the attention it is getting.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#20re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:35pm

It's Patti, love, and thanks for being more specific.

Leo_Yikes
#21re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:37pm

Most overrated show:
YF:
Alot of people on here hate it but the regular Broadway fan community (cuz you gotta admit, people on here are HARD to please) were praising it left and right...went at saw it....LOATHED IT. And so did the rest of the audience.

Most overrated Actor:
Ummm...idk. All of the main ones seem to deserve the hype.
But LuPone is to high held in my opinion, though she def. is a powerhouse

evic
#22re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:37pm

S.Epatha-She was horrible- no character-just standing and reciting lines...just a dumpy woman with a bad wig in plain clothes- we walked out- maybe she shined in the second act

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#23re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:40pm

Judging from many clips I have seen online,
Most overrated performance: Kelli O'Hara in SOUTH PACIFIC...ugh.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

christhefish
#24re: Most Overrated of the Season...
Posted: 5/12/08 at 8:41pm

Clips do not do Kelli's Preformance justice

Videos