pixeltracker

IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend- Page 4

IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#75re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 5:17pm

I agree about Inutil, but what I noticed most was the difference it makes in Blackout. Negron was very forceful in his "calling all taxis" and it really added some new drama to that part of the song, as well as a sorrowful tone to "please find Nina..." that was very moving.

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#76re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 5:49pm

Last night was my first time seeing the show in a very long while, and it was an absolute treat. As people have pointed out, there was a palpable energy in that theater. The crowd was enthusiastic, but not obnoxiously so, and everyone in the cast was top notch. I quite liked Negron as Kevin, though I was very fond of Gomez (I agree that his singing wasn't always up to par, but I thought his acting was always top notch). And Marcy brings a completely different energy to the role of Vanessa, which is a treat. I thought she was lovely.

It was my first time seeing the show since the passing of a close family member, and it was a lot more cathartic than I was expecting. It's a shame how some people underestimate this show's ability to convey such raw, powerful emotions. For all its infectious joy, there's a lot of depth there, a lot of sadness and beauty, and it's wonderful to have that kind of relatable experience when going to the theatre. And to do so with such an enthusiastic audience, on such a special night, is something I'll never forget. God I love this show.

I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but does anyone remember the exact lyric change at the beginning of the show, after the extended applause? It was something along the lines of "I am Usnavi and I guess you've heard my name", though that doesn't quite fit. Anyone remember?

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#77re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 6:24pm

Yeah, I think that was it.

"I am Usnavi and I guess you probably heard my name. . ."

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#78re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 6:58pm

^
JP2 is right, something about "guess you probably heard my name..."

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#79re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 7:23pm

JP - Adored the video

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#80re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:03pm

nice to hear the reviews. sounded real moving, i wish i was there. i agree nobody needs a speech when they leave, just a nice curtain call goodbye from the audience. thanks for the reviews with negron and marcy. chris and mandy always have great onstage chemistry. i wish they would have went into a little more depth about carla, graftti pete, and daniela. my guess noah was there to see to last performance for LMM but also to see Krysta.
LMM will be missed, and hes such down to earth guy!!!

MyLife
#81re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:21pm

The word "maybe" was definitely in there...not "guess"

I think it was, "I am Usnvavi and maybe you have heard my name"

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#82re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:31pm

Wait, I remember Maybe now. But I definitely remember probably.

I'm going to go with "You maybe probably heard my name."

"JP - Adored the video "
Thanks. The entire cast is just so sweet!

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#83re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 8:33pm

"I agree about Inutil, but what I noticed most was the difference it makes in Blackout. Negron was very forceful in his "calling all taxis" and it really added some new drama to that part of the song, as well as a sorrowful tone to "please find Nina..." that was very moving. "

I could not have said it better myself!

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#84re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 9:13pm

Just got word that the lyric was "I am Usnavi and you prob'ly maybe heard my name." Awesome. Thanks for the help, guys, for some reason I really wanted to know the exact wording.

Also, big props to the lovely group of dominicanos who were close to me in the rear mezz. That enthusiasm, especially when loudly cheering for DR references, is highly infectious.

dg22894
#85re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/16/09 at 9:32pm

Any Javier reviews?

Videos