pixeltracker

IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend

IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#1IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 6:09pm

Starting a thread for any reports from IN THE HEIGHTS during Lin-Manuel Miranda's final weekend. The Tony Award-winning composer/lyricist and star (Usnavi) departs the company following the Sunday February 15, 7:00pm performance.

Saturday February 14, 2:00pm Matinee

This was actually my first time seeing the show. I've played (and lost) the lotto 5 times, so I was holding a grudge. But I knew I had to bite the bullet this weekend in order to see Lin-Manuel.

The matinee lotto wasn't unusually crowded (about 120 ppl). A ticket-seller said both Saturday shows were nearly sold-out for. I wasn't going to buy premium-seat, so I asked about standing-room. Just my luck, there was 1 SRO ticket left for the matinee, so I grabbed it (If I won lotto, I'd sell it to someone who'd lost).

Fortunately(?) I lost the lotto, so was still seeing the show. Stood during Act I but was able to grab an empty orchestra seat for Act II. Sold-out audience. (Note for SRO: Richard Rodger's mezzanine over-hang blocks the upper-half of the stage)

Greatly enjoyable show. Good thing I had SRO for Act 1 because I was dancing!!! Such such such awesome music! (I also had refused to listen to the OBCR until seeing the show live). Marcy Harriel really has settled into the ensemble as the new Vanessa well. Lin-Manuel didn't seem to be overwhelmed with any kind of emotion (probably saving it for tomorrow night). There was significant applause for his entrance/exit.

Shane, the little dude who won the BroadwayWorld.com IN THE HEIGHTS free-style video contest was at the stage-door with his mother. Totally adorable and the cast members flocked to him. Andrea Burns' husband and son surprised her at the door with Valentine's bouquets. And this other boy at the door (Thomas, age 6) sang the "Piragua" song to Eliseo Roman (totes adorable).

ADIOS LIN-MANUEL! Thanks for bringing a vibrancy back to Broadway.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 6:12pm

Thanks for the report! I am really looking forward to his final performance tomorrow evening!!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 7:01pm

Lin-Manuel's final performance is the reason I came to NYC this weekend. Wouldn't miss it!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#3re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 7:16pm

i'm going to miss his Usnavi! good luck to him for all future endevors

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#4re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 7:35pm

I only yesterday was able to get tickets for Lin's last performance, and I'm so happy I will be there. It actually seems like his exit has received relatively little media attention, but it's one I know I and many will feel acutely. He's someone whose contributions greatly deserve to be loudly celebrated, as a multi-talented artist, and as an inspiration within the community.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#5re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 8:04pm

I REALLY can not wait for this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#6re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 9:27pm

So sad to see him go!

PiraguaGuy2
#7re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 9:29pm

We love you Lin! Come back to Broadway anytime you like!

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#8re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 9:51pm

This is bittersweet. Lin should be so proud of everything he has accomplished. His show recouped within 10 months of opening in a bitter economy, and his show has so many loving fans. Congrats LMM!

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#9re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 10:17pm

I'm so excited for tomorrow. I'm going backstage tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited.

PiraguaGuy2
#10re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 10:18pm

Lucky kid. Have fun.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

CSonBroadway
#11re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 10:22pm

Drunk Chita- You are SO lucky. Have a great time! How did you manage to get yourself backstage?

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#12re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 10:23pm

Jealous!

I'll be there tomorrow. I'm not cool enough to get backstage, though! Haha.

CSonBroadway
#13re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 10:27pm

JP2- Please tell me you are going to get some stage door and such on camera tomorrow.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#14re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 10:31pm

"Drunk Chita- You are SO lucky. Have a great time! How did you manage to get yourself backstage?"

I am distant cousins with someone in the cast so they got me backstage. I made Lin a huge scrapbook so I am going to give it to him then.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#15re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 11:37pm

"JP2- Please tell me you are going to get some stage door and such on camera tomorrow. "

Of course!

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#16re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/14/09 at 11:55pm

I'll also be there tomorrow night. I can't wait!!

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#17re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/15/09 at 12:05am

I'll be shooting the curtain call and trying the lotto as well! Really dont want to miss that last performance but I know how hard it is to win the lotto. so i doubt i'll get to see the show...

whats this about SRO? since when has heights had SRO tickets and when do they go on sale?

MyLife
#18re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/15/09 at 1:48am

In the morning if the show is sold out i believe... if you wanna be there, get up early tomorrow! haha

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#19re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/15/09 at 10:02am

I will also be at the 7pm show....Although Im not entirely sure I bought enough tissues to last throw the whole show. Hope everyone has a good time at the show!

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#20re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/15/09 at 10:05am

I did manage to win the lottery yesterday for the matinee. It was my 4th time seeing the show ~ I really wanted to see it again to see Lin one last time. He did not disappoint. (Nor did the cast.)

He will truly be missed. But I look forward to seeing the show go on as well!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#21re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/15/09 at 11:39am

What's with the conflicting stories at the box office? First person in line was told he can't get SRO for tonight because it's not sold out. Second people in line are able to buy SRO for 7pm. Third people are told there were never any SRO for 7pm because the cast took them all. This was all within 2 minutes. Does the woman not realize we can overhear the discrepancies? It was really sketchy.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#22re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/15/09 at 11:39am

What's with the conflicting stories at the box office? First person in line was told he can't get SRO for tonight because it's not sold out. Second people in line are able to buy SRO for 7pm. Third people are told there were never any SRO for 7pm because the cast took them all. This was all within 2 minutes. Does the woman not realize we can overhear the discrepancies? It was really sketchy.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#24re: IN THE HEIGHTS: Reports from Lin-Manuel's Final Weekend
Posted: 2/15/09 at 9:16pm

It's probably not out yet.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Videos