pixeltracker

Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time- Page 4

Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#75re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 6/2/09 at 10:23am

Rent all the way!

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#76re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 6/2/09 at 10:26am

I actually have an outline for a film version of "Rent" that would have drawn from the three known screenplays for the piece currently available to traders. I don't think it's too, too bad and it at least gives the film a stronger sense of plot than the show. PM me for details.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Renart
#77re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 6/2/09 at 12:59pm

Anything Goes
On the Town - This time with music from, you know, the actual musical.
Bye, Bye Birdie
Finian's Rainbow
Cabaret - with the plot from the stage
Man of La Mancha
Mame
Tommy
Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#78re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 6/2/09 at 1:01pm

Are you seriously trying to trade your fanfic movie script for bootlegs? Oy.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

SingingCats Profile Photo
SingingCats
#79re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 6/2/09 at 1:13pm

My vote goes to Sweeney and South Pacific, although I wouldn't mind an updated West Side Story.

MirrorBride Profile Photo
MirrorBride
#80re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 6/2/09 at 2:44pm

MirrorBride: When Julie Andrews was asked a few years back whom they should cast as Maria if THE SOUND OF MUSIC was remade, she suggested... (drumroll)... Cameron freakin' Diaz!

Seriously? Wow...I never heard that. If they were to remake it I hope they would choose someone trained. I'm sure she would do alright...but wouldn't be my top choice.

I think a lot of times they base movie musical casting off of acting, which makes sense. I think they could pay more attention to the singing aspects though.

"This one really spoke to me. She's a strong woman, that's why I think people relate to her and the story." -Sierra Boggess talking about her role as OBC Ariel

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#81re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 6/2/09 at 11:35pm

I still kind of wish they'd make a Xanadu movie that's not horrible. I know the stage musical wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but I thought it was a huge improvement on the film. When I read that Jane Krakowski had originally done some of the workshops for the lead role, I started picturing a ridiculously fun movie version with her as Kira/Clio. Although it'll never happen, every time I see her over-the-top antics on 30 Rock (especially this season's Jackie Jormp-Jomp craziness) I think of Xanadu.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#82re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 6/3/09 at 10:33am

Worst of all, this movie was responsible for the phanbrat epidemic.

The what? What is that? If you mean annoying young show fan behavior, that was around long before the Phantom of the Opera musical film. I believe the Rentheads were the first musical theatre fan club to become widely known by name. They started with the best of intentions, but descended into a nuisance at each performance, distracting the cast and the audience with their self-indulgent behavior. And the young Annie and Cats fans thrived in their own unique fashion during the pre-internet days of Broadway. I knew a girl who had a personalized "CATS" license plate on her car and would remove it to have it autographed and framed each time she saw the show on tour and would purchase another to replace it.

I was told "Over the Moon" was played earnestly, and not as a parody of bad performance art.

That is exactly how it was originally performed, but only for a couple of years. Once it became a smug parody by replacements who had only been given the blocking and not the direction, the scene turned into a hammy insincere stand-up act that was completely out of place. I hated that scene for years until they finally got it back on track at the end of the show's run. What made the scene funny was the honesty and commitment of the character's performance, not the performer's desperate attempt to yank laughs out of the audience with their drama major SNL antics.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 6/3/09 at 10:33 AM

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#83re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 6/3/09 at 5:01pm

Are you seriously trying to trade your fanfic movie script for bootlegs? Oy.

No, I used "traders" wrongly as a generic term for anyone interested in reading a better version of the film than the final product. My apologies...

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Videos