A Funny Thing .....
A Chorus Line

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 6:38pm

Man of La Mancha!!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mattbrain
#2re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 6:41pm

As much as I loved The Producers, I actually wish I could see a less stagy version and also a remake of Rent that DOESN'T have the original cast. And I liked these movies.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#3re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 6:44pm

Mame
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
One Touch Of Venus

....but the world goes 'round

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 6:44pm

You know it was gonna bite it when you had two non singers in the 2 top roles.

O"Toole singing Impossible Dream was like Jessie Ventura doing opera.

Poster Emeritus

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#5re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 6:46pm

Cabaret was a great film but I wish we could see a film more faithful to the stage show.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#6re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 6:49pm

Man of La Mancha has potential to be a great movie that stands alone from its stage counterpart, much like Sweeney Todd or Cabaret.

The Man of La Mancha movie was not that movie.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#7re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 6:52pm

A Chorus Line
West Side Story... can't STAND the movie! Love the show though

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 6:55pm

WSS - This is a shock

Annie

Poster Emeritus

RagzJr
#9re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 6:57pm

A Little Night Music... That movie was (for the most part... love Diana Rigg) a tragedy. I would LOOOOVE to see this done well (with a cast that can actually sing the score, etc).

My dream (clearly something that would never happen:
Desiree - Goldie Hawn
Frederik - Kevin Kline
Madame Armfeldt - Judy Dench
Carl-Magnus - Hugh Jackman
Charlotte - Toni Collette
Anne - Anne Hathaway
Henrik - Jake Gyllenhaal
Petra - Brittany Murphy

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#10re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 7:00pm

I'd love to see a better adaptation of A Chorus Line but I think it's a hard show to capture on film. The power is in the intimacy of the theater.

I totally disagree with West Side Story. That film is perfect and actually made great improvements to the stage production, in my opinion.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 7:05pm

I would just like to have the original ending of Little Shop restored. Other than that, I think the movie version of it is fab.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 7:08pm

Mame

Poster Emeritus

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#13re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 7:24pm

I think A Chorus Line just does not work on film. It's magic on the stage, but on film, it's just nothing that special.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

heo1128
#14re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 7:30pm

Rent, with more songs.The movie makes me hate the show.

husk_charmer
#15re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 7:42pm

The Annie film is much truer to the strip it's based on, which I highly approve of.

I rather like Mame, but a remake would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#16re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 7:43pm

With MORE songs? They do the majority of the songs from the show. The problem isn't with what songs they do, it's with everything else about the film.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

heo1128
#17re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 7:54pm

Yeah, like Christmas Bells and Happy New Year. Since the majority of the stage show is sung through, I just hated how they turned some lyrics into dialogue, it was so awkward. But agreed, the cut songs were certainly not the only problem with the film.

dayao Profile Photo
dayao
#18re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 8:39pm

I would love to see a definitive faithful film adaptation of the granddaddy of great musicals, SHOW BOAT, especially since its 3 hour running time would not be a problem today when the average superhero movie approaches and sometime exceeds that length. The previous film versions all had good and bad points: The 1929 version was largely a silent film with only one song; the 1936 film was like a Cliff Notes version of the show and changed the ending. The 1951 version concentrated only on a portion of the stage story, leaving out key characters and songs, but was visually stunning in Technicolor but even this version was made over 50 years ago.

SHOW BOAT still has a far superior score and story than 90 per cent of today's musicals and the only obstacle might be that, with very few exceptions, we don't have any singers on stage or in films good enough to do justice to the score.

My dream cast for a remake within say the next couple of years is:
Julie: LAURA BENTANI or TAMMY BLANCHARD
Magnolia: NADIA BJORLIN or KELLY O'HARA
Ravenal: JAMES ANEST
Queenie: AUDRA McDONALD
Joe: BRIAN STOKES MITCHELL
Ellie: KRISTIN CHENOWETH
Frank: JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
Cap'n Andy: CHRISTOPHER WALKEN
Parthy: KATHLEEN TURNER
Steven Baker: TOM WELLING
Kim: ANNE HATHAWAY

"I long-ago realized that this country is a nation of morons, when it comes to knowledge of anything outside, or beyond, pop culture." Steve Slezak
Updated On: 5/15/09 at 08:39 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#19re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 8:49pm

Rent
A Chorus Line
Gypsy

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#20re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 9:13pm

Rent and Producers were the first to come to mind. I enjoyed Hairspray, but I wish it was more faithful to the stage version.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

AndAllThatJazz22
#21re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 9:16pm

I never saw the Producers on stage, but after I saw the movie I had no desire to... so maybe they should redo it. Rent probably ties for my favorite musical, and the movie is just so poorly done... a remake is needed. One of the most unpopular opinions I hold is my hatred for the Cabaret film, a remake would greatly satisfy me.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Muhlethaler
#22re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 9:18pm

Updated On: 6/18/20 at 09:18 PM

AndAllThatJazz22
#23re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 9:22pm

OOOOO! Count me in for little shop of horrors.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#24re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time
Posted: 5/15/09 at 9:23pm

Camelot, Camelot, Camelot. I've been dying for a good film version of it for years.

I wouldn't mind if they went ahead with the rumored Carousel remake. The original wasn't bad, but it could be better.

I liked Funny Thing. Of course I'm crazy about Michael Crawford. re: Movie Musicals You Wish They Would Do Again & Right This Time But I liked the other performances too.

Videos