pixeltracker

COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards- Page 5

COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards

PaulWom
#100COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 9:19pm

aimeric- just curious- where did they make it seem "first come , first served?" Also, it seems a large number of superfans got in. I can name at least 15 who I know via social media who are self proclaimed "Cometeers" who have gotten in, and I'm sure many more have... Where's the reasoning for the claim that they just cast actors?

lyceum Profile Photo
lyceum
#101COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 9:37pm

ameleigh said: "I'm really disappointed in them and heartbroken too. They made it sound like it would be first come, first served. Never did they tell die hard fans that it would be an unfair selection process. Yes, they didn't have to do it at all, I get that. But they got a lot of die hard fans hopes up very high, left us hanging all this time, were totally unfair and used a bunch of actors who are affiliated with the casting agency instead of fans. 

"

I would like to say that I'm not a professional actor and am in no way "affiliated" with the agency who cast this program. I submitted only a candid photo and a nice note in my initial email to the agency. No fancy headshot, no resume. 

I really feel for the people who weren't selected for this but unfortunately they couldn't choose all 1400 of us. It is the professional standard in theater (and many other art professions) to never get responses to things you weren't selected for. Which totally sucks and is something I think should change! But those of us who are familiar with things like this are used to it

I think the mistake made was that the Comet social media team treated it like a contest when it was in fact a casting for a paying job. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#102COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 9:44pm

And who's to say that having a combiation between actors and fans wasn't always the plan?  They never promised anything but a chance.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PaulWom
#103COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 9:48pm

I'm still so confused by the discourse here- The Comet team generously offered a submissions contest for performing on the Tonys (most theater kids dream come true). Unless I'm mistaken, they did not say who would get in, how many would get in, or how you would get in. Then they picked some people to get in, because they obviously couldn't fit 1400 ppl onstage (and, based on the email im seeing  around social media, generously apologized for the delay in the rejection email). Where's the problem?

PaulWom
#104COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 9:53pm

This kind of reminds me of that Louis CK joke about the guy who was on the first flight to ever offer WiFi, but then got pissed when the Wifi broke down mid-flight. 

This is the first time this has been attempted! It clearly is not going to be perfect. But the fact that quite a number of superfans got in, instead of ALL extras, is something to be celebrated.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#105COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 9:58pm

I made it in (and choosing my words carefully to keep surprises for Sunday) and have no affiliation with the casting company. I have not acted, sang, or danced in any remotely professional way over 5 years.

I never felt it was a "first come, first serve" deal. If that was the case, they would have had a date and location set up and a plac for people to get in line. I entered because I had two paid personal days and extra sick days left this school year and I decided to throw all caution to the wind and enter myself. I agree with what others said when it was advertised as a contest, but really a job and that created a problematic situation.

I wish everyone could have been chosen--truly mean that--because everyone deserves this kind of once in a lifetime experience. I've had a very rough time with life the past 6 years that manages to even depress my psychiatrist, so I'm claiming this as my reward for surviving. Bigger and better things will come along for EVERYONE and you'll be able to grab that reward.

Lapetiteactrice
#106COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 10:06pm

"
I think the mistake made was that the Comet social media team treated it like a contest when it was in fact a casting for a paying job. 

"

I would have to agree. Comet social media made it seem like a "contest" (though NOTHING indicated it was first come, first serve-there was a very specific look that they wanted and they made that very clear in the initial call). Where as the casting call that was posted did read as more of an "open call" submission thing like for any other audition. 

I am an actress, but I'm in no way "affiliated" with S/W. Same goes other people who are actors that I've spoken to. But honestly, it's NYC and chances are a large percentage of actors in the city have auditioned with S/W before. And lots of us are fans of the show too! :) I'm shocked some people are so surprised by this. Super fans WERE chosen. And again, out of over 1400 submissions, they chose 100 people. You can't fit much more than that on the Radio City stage with sets, plus an entire Broadway cast. Not everyone could be chosen, unfortunately, and they never said everyone would. 

I personally think it's amazing that they were willing to take such a big risk to make fans feel even more included by extending this opportunity. And with how amazing they've been about inviting fans to participate in events, I'm sure there will be more opportunities in the future. 

dramamama611
#107COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 10:07pm

It IS still a contest.....it's just one that had parameters and choices.  Being selected as a "winner" is very different then applying for a job. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ameleigh
#108COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 10:49pm

"

"

Exactly. THIS is the problem. They advertised this as "an opportunity for fans," NEVER once did they communicate that it was not. This was a big deal and a once in a lifetime opportunity that a lot of us would have given anything to be a part of. Instead, a lot of those opportunities were given to actors instead. They left people hanging and weren't clear on communication at all. All this time, a bunch of us were still holding on to the tiniest glimmer of hope, and they couldn't even be bothered to put us out of our misery sooner. 

Also, there was NOTHING to imply this wasn't "first come, first served." And the cast recording with the fans was done that way, so with ZERO communication about how this would work, why wouldn't you assume that it would be done the same way as what they did previously? 

Updated On: 6/8/17 at 10:49 PM

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#109COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 10:54pm

I think some people, if indeed you wish to pursue theatre (I don't know how many do) need to work on dealing with a rejection for something like this. As has been previously stated, most people were not going to be chosen, which was pretty clear from the start. If you didn't get chosen, I am sorry. And you are totally allowed to be disappointed (your feelings are valid). But to editorialize, and try to slam the contest because you were not chosen, is unprofessional. Be happy for those who were chosen (easier said than done, I know), and get yourself pumped up for next time. Don't get down on the contest (or the winners of the contest), and don't be a sore loser. Buck up, and use the rejection as motivation to go on to the next thing. You got this!

(PS: I wasn't even shortlisted)

PaulWom
#110COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:08pm

ameliegh, with all due respect, that is ridiculous. I don't know about you, but the email I received contained an apology for not getting back sooner with the rejections (which, if you know anything about Bway, is more than kind). Just because they ran a completely different contest one way months ago, does not mean they are under an obligation to do it the same way for another. And once again, I don't seem to see anything they put out that indicated it would be JUST fans or that all of them would get in- and in fact, a lot of fans did get in. And I fail to see the proof that it was a majority of actors, and not fans- as you seem to be suggesting. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#111COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:11pm

ameleigh said: "But they got a lot of die hard fans hopes up very high, left us hanging all this time, were totally unfair and used a bunch of actors who are affiliated with the casting agency instead of fans. 

"

If this is true, that's extremely uncool. I mean when I realized that it was going to be a casting agency thing, I knew I wouldn't get in. But using your actors is really not fair to others. 

PaulWom
#112COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:16pm

disneybroadwayfan22, I just fail to see the proof that they did say it was "fans only" or "first come first serve", and would honestly like to be proven otherwise. Many of the people who got in , at least from what I've seen on social media, are Comet fans. Many of them do not look like cookie cutter actor types. So again- what is the issue? Is it that you were rejected? 

disneybroadwayfan22
#113COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:19pm

I said IF THAT IS TRUE. And again, I knew I wasn't going to get in and it's okay. 

PaulWom
#114COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:21pm

"used a bunch of actors who are affiliated with the casting agency instead of fans

"

Where are the receipts? And where is the proof that , even if some of these people were chosen, that they are the majority?

BroadwayRox3588
#115COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:22pm

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. I have a very good friend who was chosen, and she is in no way affiliated with the casting agency. She's a diehard fan, who has been personally affected by the show.

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#116COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:59pm

Did everyone get a rejection email or just those short-listed?

Lapetiteactrice
#117COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/17 at 12:16am

loveinnewyorkcity said: "Did everyone get a rejection email or just those short-listed?

"

My friend, who was not shortlisted got an email. 

iowaopoly08
#118COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/17 at 12:36am

I cannot believe how bitter this thread got in the last 4 hours lol

dramamama611
#119COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/17 at 12:50am

Childish reactions to not being chosen. (But people aren't entitled, right?)

To those if you that made the cut, GOOD FOR YOU! I hope you have a great time, I'm happy for you!

BroadwayRox3588
#120COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/17 at 12:58am

Also remember, fellow rejectees (if that's not a word, I just invented it), Annaleigh Ashford at one point went years between callbacks. Your time will come. Keep at it, and don't let the game beat you.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#121COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/17 at 9:37am

I'm still confused as to what the contest actually was. To be a seat filler, an actual participant, or both?

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

disneybroadwayfan22
#122COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/17 at 9:56am

Thank you for the encouragement, BroadwayRox! 

LYLS3637 said: "I'm still confused as to what the contest actually was. To be a seat filler, an actual participant, or both?

"

I know right? One site said to be a seat filler and BWW said to be a actual participant.

lyceum, are you allowed to answer this?

dramamama611
#123COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:15am

I think these are two entirely different things.  The shows themselves are not responsible for seat filling, that is the job of the Tonys.  I suppose it's possible that the same company was hired to do both.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#124COMET invites fans to join them onstage at the Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:19am

I apologize, I should not have used the term "seat filler" as it is used for the awards ceremony in general. 

I meant was this contest looking for fans to fill the seats (separate from the awards) around the performance for the purpose of giving the illusion of the Imperial's staging for the show. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

Videos