pixeltracker

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED- Page 5

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

USTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
#100re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:35pm

Craig

It presupposes that I am not interested in Copyright and your posters, and yourself have taken the moral high ground. I am more passionate about copy protection that you obviously appreciate. I have many discussions from Equity on this to understand the situation with paying performers. I have had discussions with performers rights.

You've just seen the position from your colleagues and not my point of view and you have sided with them. I would've thought SENIOR EDITOR is supposed to be impartial.

I'm looking forward to closure on this stream as well, and one which gets an apology for claims of illegality or bootleg.

Doug

_________________ www.uktheatre.net

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#101re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:41pm

I still strongly believe in my opinion, but yes PIPPIN, i do agree maybe in 5 yrs or so that it would b great to see the show again. Seeing the show online would b ok in 5 yrs or when a show is closed, but i would much rather see it LIVE like it should be. Shows should NOT be able to be viewed online while it is still running! that would b ridiculous.. But PIPPIN, i really dont think what your saying is USTheater.TV's idea. I still respect yr post PIPPIN re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

USTheater.TV
#102re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:43pm

It is ! You just warped it.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#103re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:43pm

Doug.

I think you completely misunderstood me and perhaps my snarky tone.

My point was that I can't find one thing illegal about your site or its purpose. I would be the FIRST person to kill any such references on this board because bootlegs are INCREDIBLY verbotten on here (which is why I think some of our posters are so passionate about the subject).

I have sided with no one. I have stated this boards position and our policies. If anything, I have taken your "side" in this matter.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

iheartcheyenne123
#104re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:44pm

i still dont think it is a good idea...theater should b LIVE!! wht dont u understand?

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#105re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:46pm

iheartcheyenne123

He understands. Believe, I firmly believe that. You are entitled to your opinion, and just as you wouldn't want someone telling you to change yours, you in turn, should stop seeking him to change his.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#106re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:46pm

thank you cheyenne, I also agree with you. I do not think that the shows should be available until after the show has closed.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

iheartcheyenne123
#107re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:48pm

thanks pippin! i didnt say i wanted to change his mind..i still dont kno why he wants to do this...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#108re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:49pm

Hey, Doug---Craig's cool. I didn't read any negativity into his posts at all.

I think you're reeling a bit now from the crazy slams you're getting.

You will definitely face opposition on this idea in the future. Be warned. But be ready to defend your vision calmly and with a clear head.

EDIT: And keep a lawyer handy for anything slanderous. Those who cry "bootleg" will need to be stopped quickly and legally.

Honestly, I wish you the best of luck, and I'm glad you're out there giving this a shot.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 10/30/05 at 01:49 PM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#109re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:54pm

I wish him the best of luck.

It's going to be a huge "headache" to get the rights and permissions (and pay all those that need to be paid) - especially since it's on the net and involved international laws. I can't even begin to imagine the paperwork involved before a single camera is set up. And unless one of our posters here has an international law degree (coupled with entertainment, intellectual property, etc), I don't think anyone is qualified to deem what is or is not illegal based on the information presented here thus far.

USTheater.TV
#110re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:55pm

Craig

It was your use of the word ILLEGAL which other posters would've read as my site being dodgy because the SENIOR EDITOR is now asking questions. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty.

It looks like I have 3 or 4 people in the U.S who don't like the idea. I have full backing of the NATIONAL THEATRE OF SCOTLAND, who launch I am filming this week and I will be uploading that to the site as well. People want to see theatre in every form. The aftershow parties, the behind the scenes preparation, the nerves before the event, the critics response afterwards and the performers come-down. I want to film all of that and help educate up and coming performers and the youth of today, many of whom don't really know what theatre is all about (I didn't until I was an adult).

Reality Television has taken its grip on the world and theatre needs to win back those audiences with a more open door approach to helping them understand the experience. Recording performances for later viewing is much easier technically than LIVE performances and I don't really see an absolute desire for it being LIVE as in REAL-TIME as the Internet is all about flexibility and clicking where you want and when you want and not setting your diary and clock for a specific time.

Perhaps if your posters took a less aggressive approach they may have asked specific questions which I could've answered to alleviate any concerns over illegality or copyright.

Doug

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#111re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 1:57pm

Craig---Amen.

Why do I feel like singing "Climb Every Mountain" to Doug right now?

(If I thought for two seconds, I'm sure I could answer my own question.)

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#112re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 2:02pm

"It was your use of the word ILLEGAL which other posters would've read as my site being dodgy because the SENIOR EDITOR is now asking questions. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty. "

Doug. It's my job to ask these questions AS Senior Editor. You wouldn't begrudge me the responsibility I have to this site anymore than I would question yours. I haven't questioned yours. If you read my posts, what I've questioned are the posters on this site to provide proof. In other words, you are innocent until proven guilty as I've stated over and over. I didn't pose a single question to you to prove innocence.

USTheater.TV
#113re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 2:05pm

No-one said it would be easy. I am starting at the less risky end of the game where I can speak to the author and performers and ask for agreement. I will learn a lot from this which I can then use later next year for the bigger performances. I have climbed here, often alone, over the last 4 years. That's the nature of entrepreurship.

Two things keep me going against the tide:-

Paraphrased from the Poem IF....
"If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs and blaming it on you........you'll be a man, my son"

and

Walt Disney - "Get a good idea and stick with it"

Doug

USTHEATER.TV - Passionate About Theatre

Updated On: 10/30/05 at 02:05 PM

USTheater.TV
#114re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 2:08pm

Craig

If you are editor, you should've came down heavier on those guys. Apart from being libellous they were downright aggressive and rude. I have my personal integrity to protect as an actor and a member of a number of professional bodies in the UK.

Doug

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#115re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 2:08pm

Doug - - -

I don't think Craig was acussing you of any illegal activity. You may have misinterpreted his post. I've re-read it and I didn't get that at all.

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#116re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 2:11pm

Best of luck Doug. Keep on keeping on!!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#117re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 2:11pm

Doug---time to take a deep breath.

You're not going to win this battle on the message boards, nor should you try. If the intention of your Web site is to reach a wider and newer audience, then focus your energies on that.

Craig isn't going to chorale the thinking of other posters on this site. That isn't his job. This is an open forum where anyone can express his or her opinion... whether it's calm or crazy! He can help with illegal postings, to be sure, and he can post his own personal opinion if he wants to. (Which actually, he hasn't even done here. He's been neutral... and even wished you a genuine "good luck.")

As he has said, and I agree with... Your battles are going to be far larger, with unions, international rights, etc. Save your energy, and focus on moving forward.

(Sorry, I sound like such a "coach.")

Updated On: 10/30/05 at 02:11 PM

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#118re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 2:14pm

Very well said though "Coach" best12bars.

USTheater.TV
#119re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 2:21pm

Thanks Best12. I agree. And thanks Craig, I just felt being ganged up on and bullied.

Just to finish the posting on a postive note, here is a note from a writer that I've just received. I'm sure he won't mind me plugging his show here so I've left in the details...... thanks for the words of encouragement, I do understand the challenge, but not phased by it, especially when I know I'm helping people like the writer below !!

I am a writer, who also has a small production company – and my first stage play, the comedy Mrs H of Baker Street (in which Sherlock Holmes’ landlady, Mrs Hudson, does her own detective work) has just completed its premiere run during the Manchester Smile Comedy Festival. I want it to be seen globally on stage and via all visual media.

USTHEATER.TV - PASSIONATE ABOUT THEATER

vbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
#120re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 2:54pm

Oh to relive the thrill of Gwen and Chita in "Chicago". It would be brilliant!

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown

USTheater.TV
#121re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 3:03pm

Hehe...I live in Glasgow and only get to London when I invest £200 in a flight and £100 for two tickets to see a top musical. Now that's what I call elitist and I'm sure it's unintentional. Theatre should reach out to everyone, much like the internet and everyone should experience it, not just the wealthy few.

USTHEATER.TV - Passionate about theater ...around the world.

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#122re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 3:22pm

"I just felt being ganged up on and bullied."

Boo hoo.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#123re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 3:32pm

Well just for a final thought on this. Basically, there is nothing illegal about Doug's site. IF he truly gets the backing of the major shows and they are supportive, then it does not matter what we think. It is all legal. Lets not forget that we are only a small collection of the Broadway community and as you can se, many are very diehard. Plus I have seen only about 10 people posting. 10 out of tens of thousands. Our opinion on this board should not mean much at all in the grand sceme. Just a few things before I end:

1) Whether it ruins love theatre etc etc is just not debatable at the moment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there will be quite a large difference. What matters more is the eventual outcome. If the site really is what America wants, then you will see it do good business. Therefore, Doug guessed right. If not, then it was a bad idea.

2) If the site is successful and shows notice a stark ticket buying drop, expect the site to be slammed and forcibly closed down.

3) It may be a better venue for offBroadway and closed shows that people will often overlook (Last 5 Years anyone?) than the mega musicals. I seriosuly doubt the big ones like Wicked and Spamalot would go along with it.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#124re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 10/30/05 at 3:37pm

This is a wonderful idea. I'd love this to happen soon!

Videos