2007 tony predictions

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#100re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/16/06 at 9:47pm

If Esparza doesn't come out of the '07 season with a Tony, there ain't no justice. He is flawless.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#101re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/16/06 at 10:19pm

I hope d'Amboise can be considered in the featured category with ACL. Because she can have a chance in a category without Ebersole.

And no offense, this woman is even more deserving of a Tony than Raul at this point. I know many are making a big deal that Raul needs one now, and that he has gone too long Tony-less.

But d'Amboise has over 20 years of work on Broadway. And she is bound to be amazing in ACL. So this is her year!

Atleast Raul already has a Drama Desk.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#102re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/16/06 at 10:26pm

She's not his competition, unless someone has a very complex operation within the next few months, so why does it matter?

And I'm basing that upon the quality of his performance, not upon how many years he's been working his ass off for. The award is for "best performance by," not "best actor." That distinction's always been interesting to me, for what it's worth. That's how Marissa Jaret Winokur beat Bernadette Peters.

It's not like he needs one because he's gone so long without one -- he's thirty-five years old. I think it's ridiculous that he doesn't have one, but hey, Julie Andrews doesn't have one. I'm saying he deserves it for this performance; not that it's time he gets one and that's why he should win. If Raul's performance in Company doesn't deserve an award, I will never know what does. I have no idea who his competition will be. Frankly, I don't care. This performance is everything he has always shown that he's capable of and then some. It is flawless, and beautifully cathartic. I cannot wait for New York to see him.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 6/16/06 at 10:26 PM

ChrisLK
#103re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/16/06 at 11:25pm

Broadway Belter, don't forget Princesses and Zanna.

Best Actress:
I'm going to move to New York and start the campaign for Tony Number Five for Audra McDonald tomorrow! Sure, Ben Brantley liked Christine Ebersole, but when has his opinon ever mattered! Seriously, I am freakishly eager for Mrs. McDonald's first musical on Broadway since Marie Christine.

Best Revival:
It's going to be an amazing catagory next year. I mean, as much argument as there was about JLY and Michael Cerveris, I'm betting that Chorus Line v. Company will be a serious brawl. And then when you throw Les Miz into the mix (which I don't think has a great chance, but the show has more than it's fair share of fans!), that race is going to be excellent. Anyoine think that The Wiz has a chance?

Best Musical:
I'd say Mary Poppins has a very good chance of at least a nomination for Best Musical, because I'm sure that there are people who want to encourage Disney to stick around, and Tarzan certainly ain't gonna do that. And if Twyla Tharp's latest thing wins Best Musical, I'm going to tear my hair out. I'm betting (or at least hoping) that Jersey Boys' win this year pretty much precludes one for "The Times". Grey Gardens itself did not get great reviews, but they could do some revisions and improve the show before a broadway run. I think Princesses (if, of course, it opens next season. I know we haven't really heard anything concrete.) has an excellent chance because of established writers. Of course, based on that thought, Curtains should win.

Wow. This year there might actually be more deserving shows than there are slots for nominations!

I'm so excited for this next season. And then the season after that hopefully we'll have Princess Bride AND 13. This is theater geek heaven!

"I could use a little... Miracle." ~SWIWS

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#104re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/16/06 at 11:28pm

Best Revival will be Lestat

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#105re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 6/16/06 at 11:58pm

oooh yay ChrisLK I will totally join you in your Audra campaign!! I mean come on Ebersole is obviously Ebersole but she's at least getting a decent run for her money with Audra. and if I recall Brantley has always been ga ga for Audra...right? I couldn't find his review for Marie Christine but I know he praised her in her other work.

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Charlayne Vivika Profile Photo
Charlayne Vivika
#106re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 7/4/06 at 2:32am

Chorus Line will win every Tony it's up for. You can bet on it!

ActingAndy
#107re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 7/4/06 at 3:25am

Best Musical: Mary Poppins
Best Revival of a Musical: A Chorus Line
Best Actress in a Musical: Ashley Brown (Mary Poppins)
Best Actor in a Musical: ?? Maybe Les Miz?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#108re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 7/4/06 at 9:32am

"Sure, Ben Brantley liked Christine Ebersole, but when has his opinon ever mattered! "

First of all, Ben Brantley didn't just like Ebersole. He flat out adored her performance, calling one of the best theatrical performances he's ever seen.

Second, Ben was not the only critic to do this. In fact, just about every critic I remember was gaga over her performance. And they weren't just good reviews either. They were ridiculous, flat-out, this is a monumental performance, love-letters.

As much as I love Ashley Brown and Audra, they won't stand a chance next year.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#109re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 7/4/06 at 2:26pm

Christine Ebersole will probably win but, i'm rooting for Audra to win TONY #5.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#110re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 7/4/06 at 3:47pm

ok while we all know that Ashley Brown doesn't have a shot in hell...(but that was cute that you did that ActingAndy) I would say if anyone has a shot at beating Ebersole...which I'm agreeing probably will not happen...it's Audra I mean we haven't seen her yet and Brantley and critcs in general go ga ga for her so she will give Ebersole a decent run for her money and like it has been said many times before the real race will be for the drama desk. But yes I'm with all of you in starting the campaign for Tony # 5!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

neddyfrank2
#111re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/07 at 11:10pm

This thread is kind of fun (funny) to look at now.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#112re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/07 at 11:38pm

Neddy, I was going to say the same thing.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#113re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/07 at 11:53pm

yeah it is...because...just yeah.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

MungoGypsy8232
#114re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/07 at 11:55pm

reading this made me laugh:

Daphne for Les Mis - Will win Best Featured Actress

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#115re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 4/25/07 at 11:57pm

It's too early in the season to tell.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#116re: 2007 tony predictions
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:21am

It's too early in the season to tell.

Early? Early would be September, right now we can pretty much guess in all categories.

And the beginning of this thread is really hilarious...

Mary Poppins VS. The Pirate Queen

Ha ha ha ha....

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos