pixeltracker

NEXT TO NORMAL launches updated website (videos, sound clips, etc)- Page 5

NEXT TO NORMAL launches updated website (videos, sound clips, etc)

AndAllThatJazz22
#100re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/22/09 at 10:42am

yeah, because if you're 14 you don't know ANYTHING and you can't have any opinions

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Juliet LaFleur Profile Photo
Juliet LaFleur
#101re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 2:33am

Oops, you got me. Typo. You obviously are very well read and worldly. Congrats on obtaining such knowledge and experience at such a young age. I guess I wouldn't mind being considered "naive" if I was half as accomplished as you.

Have you considered a career in casting since you obviously know more than the pros?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#102re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 9:26am

I don't understand...I'm not defending Ripley's tone or vibrato. I'm defending the fact that her voice fits the role. It would be ridiculous to have Sherie Rene Scott play the role of a mentally-unstable housewife while belting out to the rafters like a diva.

Ripley doesn't have the world's best voice. She is, however, a great actress. Her voice fits the role of Diana and she's exceptional in the part. I don't think the role of Diana necessarily calls for someone with the world's best voice. It calls for someone who can bring raw energy, realism, and depth to it. Ripley does all of that. And her voice definitely helps in how effective she is.

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#103re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 10:24am

Her voice is terrible.

"while belting out to the rafters" (in reference to SRS)

Umm... you DO realize that Ripley is, in fact, "belting out to the rafters". Right? Like. You're hurting your case, not helping it.

jake6970
#104re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 12:28pm

I love her voice. It's incredibly unique and while she may have pitch problems, that doesn't ruin her performance, imo.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#105re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 12:38pm

Different strokes for different folks. I saw Ripley off-Broadway in NYC last year and found her portrayal on stage very moving and real. However, I will admit that I don't always enjoy listening to her voice away from the stage. On a CD it is easier to nitpick because I don't have the visual raw emotion in front of me.

I have heard both SRS and Amy Spanger's "recordings" of the role, and from a pure listening standpoint, enjoy Spanger's far more. But that is simply my personal preference.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#106re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 12:55pm

In my opinion, I find Ripley's voice to be rich and full of depth. I love hearing a unique sound, different from the typical Broadway diva. Ever since I first heard Ripley, I fell in love. Her distinct vocal characteristics have always seemed to enhance whatever I've heard her sing, and in a part like this, I find it always so impressive how her voice matches her emotion.

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

WiCkEDrOcKS
#107re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 1:27pm

Ripley's way of belting to the rafters is INCREDIBLY different than Sherie's.

We get it though, Charlie. You hate the show and you think Ripley is a terrible singer. We get it.

jake6970
#108re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 1:34pm

I haven't heard Sherie or Amy do it, but one of the biggest parts of Diana's role is when she explodes at the end of You Don't Know. I'm obsessed with how rich Alice sounds at that part, and I just can't imagine the other two having that same power.

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#109re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 2:03pm

Having (actually) SEEN all three women perform, Ripley takes the cake on the combination of acting and vocal chops. In 2002, Scott and Butz had just come off of L5Y together and, in my opinion, were paired simply because of that...maybe one even dragged the other in.

At first, Ripley was jarring, but by fifteen minutes into the show I was sold on everything about her.

AndAllThatJazz22
#110re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:03pm

Juliet LaFleur

"Have you considered a career in casting since you obviously know more than the pros?"

I have not once proclaimed myself to be 'better than the pros'. I have simply said that SRS would be my preference over Alice. ALICE ACTS THE PART INCREDIBLY! But when she sings, she's a mess. SRS IS A BETTER SINGER. I don't think Sherie will act the part the same way, but it would be just as exciting and brilliant.

Saying something like "Have you considered a career in casting since you obviously know more than the pros?" Is like saying to someone who disagrees with the president "You should just become president since you know more than him". People have the right to their own opinions. I am passionate about what I believe at a young age and I take pride in that. I am the only one in my family who is into broadway, so these are MY beliefs that I came up with, not something my mother said and that I repeated.

Just because we disagree with something like "casting" does not mean that we think we are better than the casting director. I guess Janiet LaFluer should use that theory at everything and life and tell me how it goes!

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

TheCharleston
#111re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:07pm

Alice Ripley sucks.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#112re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:08pm

So, wait, I'm confused. Do you like Alice Ripley?

AndAllThatJazz22
#113re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:11pm

rOcKS:

All my posts say that Alice Ripley acts the part brilliantly. Her acting is sensational in the role, but her singing is awful.

TheCharleston
#114re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:14pm

Rocks was talking to me, I believe.

KingKong
#115re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:16pm

Don't you have algebra homework to do jazz?

AndAllThatJazz22
#116re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:16pm

Oh I'm sorry Charleston!!!!!! You speak your voice

AndAllThatJazz22
#117re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:18pm

Honors Geometry, but I'm finished. I already passed Algebra 1 with flying colors, I was just enrolled in an algebra contest that will take place at the end of april. I took 2 math courses this year Accelerated Alg. 1 and Honors Geo.

WiCkEDrOcKS
TheCharleston
Craww
#120re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 9:24pm

Why are discussions on this show so ridiculous and wanky?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#121re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/23/09 at 9:27pm

change of topic...but I was thinking...

Kyle Riabko would be a great replacement for Aaron Tveit in Next To Normal....anyone else agree?

Juliet LaFleur
#122re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/25/09 at 3:14pm

Jazz,

Maybe your ability to detect sarcasm will come with age. I don't think they teach that in algebra, though.

This thread is highly entertaining.

AndAllThatJazz22
#123re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/25/09 at 7:08pm

I know exactly what you meant by your comment of "your better than the pros" or whatever the **** you said. You were saying that I see myself as above these casting directors when I'm actually stupid. That is SO not true. I have an unusual opinion and it's freaking you out, but your theory is that if you disagree with someone then you're acting like you're above that person. That is the most ignorant theory I have ever heard on this board. If a 14 year old can realize how naive untrue that is, than maybe it's not 'the kid' who is the naive one. And yes, in this case (not in EVERY case), I am more mature than that opinion.

Updated On: 3/25/09 at 07:08 PM

Juliet LaFleur
#124re: Sound clips from NEXT TO NORMAL's OBCR on website...
Posted: 3/25/09 at 10:31pm

I'm not freaking out, sweetie. I'm just merely pointing out some things I've observed. You may want to flush out your thoughts before posting them, because your last one was nonsensical.

I just find it bizarre that at 14 you are harshly criticizing the technique of a woman who is not only old enough to be your mother, but has been honing her skills since before you were born. That in itself is leaving you wide open for ridicule. It's good to be passionate about your feelings, but keep in mind that words are a very powerful thing and sometimes your approach to an opinion can mean a world of difference.

Videos