pixeltracker

Official FRINGENYC Thread!- Page 6

Official FRINGENYC Thread!

Yankeefan007
#125re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 3:28pm

I was at Far Out last night, as well. In fact, I did a 3-show day at the Minetta Lane (Graveyard Shift, Vote and Far Out).

Wish I didn't.

3 atrocious pieces of garbage.

The ongoing problems that Far Out had last night were better than the show itself. Vote played to a very enthusiastic crowd, many of whom I figure wouldn't know a good show if it bit them in the face. And Graveyard Shift had potential. Just...nothing else.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#126re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 3:38pm

If you want to see something good, tonight is the final performance of THIRTY MINUTES OR LESS! Four stars from Time Out New York and recommended by NYTheatre.com! Get a free beer at the Life Cafe with your ticket stub!

And, don't forget, produced by yours truly, a long-time BWW poster!

re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#127re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 3:40pm

When and where are the Encore shows announced?

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#128re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 4:18pm

YankeeFan: Say HI next time!

Jennifer: http://www.fringenyc-encoreseries.com/

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#129re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 4:42pm

HIGH SCHOOL REUNION is also bad.

FAR OUT had bad sound, bad songs, an atrocious book, and an uneven cast. Spencer Liff did the best he could, Nick Adams gyrated, and the blond female lead was not bad at all. At some points in Act One she looked like she was going to burst out laughing at the silliness of it all.

A bunch of us left at intermission. Why endure the pain?

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#130re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 4:52pm

Thanks so much, Eug! :)

When are those Encore shows announced?!

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#131re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 4:53pm

August 30th, I presume, since that's when tickets go on sale...

Yero my Hero
#132re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 4:55pm

It is also the last day of the Fringe Festival, so yes, that date makes sense.

I believe they are announced at the FringeNYC closing night party, but I'm not sure.

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#133re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/27/09 at 7:36pm

Just saw Flight at The Cherry Lane. It was excellent. It's 50 minutes of well-written dialogue and good acting. One of the best shows I've seen at the Fringe.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#134re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/28/09 at 12:46pm

BABY WANTS CANDY is just incredible!!! It is an entirely improvised full-band musical and OUT OF CONTROL AMAZING! It's a visiting from Chicago.

They take a shout-out from the audience and just GO!

Last night's recommendation was "Boston College in the Big City" (admittingly a lame title) but they took it and RAN WITH IT!

Ended-up being a love story with insane Boston accents, a chess-demon, an acid-scarred Russian, kissing pumas, a double-decker bus and INSANITY! Amazing songs. Amazing band. A laugh EVERY MINUTE!

The kind of show I will see again and again and automatically recommend to ANYONE visiting New York. It will have a run this fall at the Barrow Street Theatre.

And... I sat next to Kevin Bacon.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#135re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/29/09 at 3:42pm

EugLoven, will BABY WANTS CANDY play on the nights OUR TOWN is dark this fall?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

wexy
#136re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/29/09 at 5:54pm

Last one for me was K of D which I really liked.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

froggy2
#137re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/30/09 at 7:46am

I have an extra ticket for FAR OUT this afternoon at 2:45 - if anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM.

loveapiano2
#138re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/30/09 at 12:13pm

when are the extensions announced?? and when do they give away the awards... like best show, etc?? does tthat happen at the party tonight?

notabb
#139re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/30/09 at 7:25pm

DEVIL BOYS FROM BEYOND was a lot of fun. Some great low tech effects and very silly. Nice to think there's a planet of buff aliens somewhere.

sweetTb'way Profile Photo
sweetTb'way
#140re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/31/09 at 12:09am

This just in!!!
Autumn Hurlbert WINS OUTSTANDING ACTOR for her work in A Contemporary American's Guide to a Successful Marriage!!!!
Congrats to Autumn!!!

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#141re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/31/09 at 12:19am

FRINGENYC ENCORES SERIES 2009 ANNOUNCED!
http://www.fringenyc-encoreseries.com/shows.html

SHOWS
Viral
The Boys Upstairs
A Contemporary Americans Guide to a Successful Marriage 1959
His Greatness
And Sophie Comes Too
Complete
Sex and the Holy Land
Notes from the Land of Earthquake and Fire
Devil Boys from Beyond
I Can Haz Cheezburger, the MusicaLOL
MoM
Powerhouse
Zipperface
terranova
Tales from the Tunnel
Willy Nilly
Muffin Man
The K of D
Jesus Ride
Dolls

Yankeefan007
#142re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/31/09 at 8:22am

Baby Wants Candy will be playing Saturday nights at 10:30 starting Sept. 12.

CRS14 Profile Photo
CRS14
#143re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/31/09 at 9:35am

Ended my run with Baby Wants Candy and Camp Wanatachi on Saturday. What a difference in those two shows.

Baby Wants Candy - UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!! As EugLoven said, this is a show I could never get tired of! Their title was "Alien Roadkill" and it was simply amazing. Laughs every minute, great music (Mutiny Tonight was a riot!), and a very talented cast. I can't wait to catch them on Saturday's this fall. Guaranteed fun.

Camp Wanatachi - Oh boy what a mess. I wasn't sure if I was at a rave or a show. There was some talent in the cast and the occasional song was good, but what on Earth did I witness? Did anything actually happen? What was with the sketchy hobos? A lot of questions that just left me puzzled throughout.

Now I just have to hold out until NYMF begins!

At least you're not alone - your friends are there too.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#145re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 9/2/09 at 10:40pm

I loved THE K OF D. It's beautifully written and stunningly performed...one of the best things I've seen in a while. Has anyone else besides wexy seen it?

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

loveapiano2
#146re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 9/2/09 at 11:33pm

cant wait to see "a contemporary american's guide to a successful marriage" "i can has cheesburger" and "zipperface". what happened to "abe lincoln's big gay dance party"?? i though it was totally sold out. how come it's not in the encores??

AEA AGMA SM
#147re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 9/3/09 at 2:21am

There are several factors for a show being selected for the Encores. One is indeed how popular the show was. Another is whether it is felt that the show has any potential for further life. Third is simply scheduling. Not every actor is always available to stay with a show past the actual Fringe run. Some move on to other projects, others may just have to face the reality that they need to get back to their "money" jobs, as it is very hard to live on the stipends that Equity sets for the Fringe, and even harder for the non-Equity actors who may be working for free, depending on the producer of their show.

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#148re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 9/3/09 at 1:11pm

Someone should start an "Official Fringe Encores Thread".

Yero my Hero
#149re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 9/3/09 at 1:16pm

I heard from a fellow participant that ABE LINCOLN'S BIG GAY DANCE PARTY was offered a spot in the Encores series, but they had to turn it down because the company is from California and could not extend their stay here.

friedrichVT
#150re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 9/3/09 at 1:32pm

Same is true of Citizen Ruth, won best new musical,but the entire cast was not available.

Videos