pixeltracker

LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews- Page 6

LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews

colorthehours
#125LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/16/11 at 3:23pm

Going back to the actual topic...I was surprised with the reviews for Lysistrata. It got a gold rating on Curtain Critic, with most of the reviews being medium to good. The only major reviewers that panned it were from Bloomberg and Newsday. I haven't seen the show, but I'm interested in seeing it now that I've read all the reviews (and seen the passionate responses to this thread).

Check out curtain critic: http://www.curtaincritic.com/Shows/LYSISTRATA_JONES_REVIEWS-84.html

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#126LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/16/11 at 6:45pm

Is LJ gonna have an obcr????? I wanna learn that one song they sing at the end.

NYCBound91
#127LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/16/11 at 10:02pm

To balance out some of the negativity in this thread, I just want to say that I loved this show. If you go in expecting the next complex, thought-provoking piece of moving theatre, then of course you won't get that with this show. But it's hilarious (lots of laughs in the house each time I've gone), some of the songs are very catchy, the dancing is great, and overall the cast is working with so much energy to deliver a good performance. Everyone is talented, Patti Murin is a star, and if you go to this show with an open mind, you'll likely have a good time.

It discourages me to see so many negative responses even before the show got the chance to get off the ground. Every performer in that show deserves the chance to see their show do well after all the work they've put into it, and I think it could find its audience if people gave it a chance. If you didn't like the show, that's fine. But that doesn't make it poor theatre, and that doesn't make anyone else less of a theatre fan for enjoying it and wanting to see it succeed. It's still art. Maybe not the same kind of art as Follies or Anything Goes or any show that is in an entirely different category, but that's because they serve different purposes.

Broadwayfan15
#128LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/16/11 at 10:10pm

Thank you NYC - well said. I truly hope people give it a change. It's a whole lot of fun. Thought Broadway was supposed to make people's spirits rise. That's Lysistrada Jones. Nice to see an original, non-Disney show make it.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#129LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/16/11 at 11:06pm

Nice to see an original, non-Disney show make it.

Yes, finally! Too bad original, non-Disney shows haven't "made it" until now...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#130LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 1:15am

I guess this show really is a groundbreaking piece of art.

bwayfan7000
#131LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 1:55am

Why does it have to be? It doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be artful, I don't think.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Jordan Catalano
#132LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 1:56am

It was a joke.

bwayfan7000
#133LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 1:59am

It's late, forgive me. :)

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#134LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 2:02am

It was stupid. But I liked it for the same reasons I like those stupid gay movies on Netflix.

I don't know if that's the same feeling Brantly had.

thismyshow
#135LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 2:13am

stupid gay movies.....? huh

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#136LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 9:20am

Yes, stupid gay movies. LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews

http://docandraider.com

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#137LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 9:54am

Is LJ gonna have an obcr????? I wanna learn that one song they sing at the end.

I don't think anything's been announced about it, but the statistics are heavily in favor of it. There are a lot of people here who know more than I do about these things, but my understanding is that Cry Baby is the only new Broadway show in recent years not to get a cast recording; even the one-performance Glory Days eventually got one.

Updated On: 12/17/11 at 09:54 AM

NYCBound91
#138LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 2:43pm

I saw on one of the cast member's twitter accounts the other day that they're hoping to do a cast recording, but it sort of depends on how well they sell tickets. So hopefully, enough people go to the show in order to get it recorded.

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#139LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 2:53pm

You know movies like Adam and Steve or Eating Out 1,2, or 3, or "Another Gay Movie", they're all really campy movies. I guess stupid was a bad adjective. But you know what I mean.
And LJ was really silly and campy.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#140LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/17/11 at 9:35pm

Stupid was a completely appropriate word.

My friend Randy, who's a documentary filmmaker, has this joke project he's wanted to for years that he knows would be the *perfect* submission to *any* LGBT film festival: it has every single cliche you see in those things and would no doubt be a hit.

http://docandraider.com

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#141LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/18/11 at 10:15pm

Responding (a bit late) to those who responded to me about leaving at intermission: Totally understood. My real point wasn't that I had an issue with leaving at intermission of something you hate. I was mostly saying that I rarely hate anything that much -- as others said after me.

And... my wife and I saw LJ this weekend, so I can actually chime in on the subject at hand.

I definitely fall into the "it was fun and campy" crowd. I hope there's a cast recording as well, because there were some fun songs in there. If I had a specific gripe, it's not that the show has such a fluffy premise; it's that they should've given Lyssie five stronger minutes of backstory to show us exactly *why* it's so important to her that the team win. I mean, we get the gist -- she hates that people give up, and there was a quick throwaway line about her parents splitting up. But I feel like a little more history would've given her quest more of an emotional punch.

After Eight
#142LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/18/11 at 11:14pm

^

5 minutes, 55 minutes, 555 minutes...... Nothing could have helped this.

The stupidity was beyond words, and no amount of additional words could have remedied it.

Ejm105989 Profile Photo
Ejm105989
#143LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/19/11 at 6:29pm

I saw this during previews and I thought it was cute, but nothing that I would go raving about. The songs were catchy but the story itself felt flat. I hope it does well!

Ejm105989 Profile Photo
Ejm105989
#144LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 11:47am

And I'm sure it wI'll get an obcr. If Wonderland can get one than Lysistrata should get one.

Oh and is it a bad sign that they are giving away free tickets? I've gotten the email twice since it's been open :/

Ed_Mottershead
#145LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 12:30pm

The NYT article today re: fate of LJ should make all posters who were so vehement about how awful this show was have cause for celebration. So friendly in here -- so heartening to hear people kicking a dying animal. Now, wasn't that the best X-mas present you jerks could have ever wished for? You naysayers should be congratulating yourselves on your theatrical probity.

BroadwayEd

Jordan Catalano
#146LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 12:41pm

Ed, I'm not going to fight with you but this is a public message board where people can voice their opinions whether they be good or bad. This isn't a forum to only gush over every new musical or play that's produced. Some are good some are bad and some are just truly awful. If you don't like that (and it's clear that you don't) you should start www.happyfuntimebroadwaygoodnewsclub.com

The opinions on this thread and others are the exact same conversations going on in person throughout the city when it comes to this show. You should go hang out at some HK bars tonight and yell at people trashing the show as well.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#147LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 12:41pm

Yes, Ed, we should all cheer for theatre we think is bad. Until we have all sunk to a level of sublime mediocrity, we have nor cause for celebration.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#148LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 12:43pm

And what article are you referencing, anyway? I see nothing online...

Ed_Mottershead
#149LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:09pm

Look on Page C3, "Arts Briefly."

BroadwayEd

Videos