News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History- Page 6

Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#125re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:39am

Chip1012, THANK YOU for making that point about Bernadette. When she went sick, the boards went crazy with it and it was really unfair. After her sickness, she missed another day to be with her husband while he had an operation and that I think was IT. Did anyone bother to comment on this? No. least of all Riedel.

And Robbiej, don't even get me started on Medea.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#126re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 11:33am

Sorry, but this really bugs me...

There's no such thing as:

"should of"
"would of"
"could of"

it is:

"should have" or "should've"
"would have" or "would've"
"could have" or "could've"

Wasn't that in third grade?

Anyway, I'm pleased Marissa won. Though I like Bernadette, I didn't feel she was right for the part and it is my least favorite recording of Gypsy. And I also thought Idina should've won for Rent, but Ann Duquesnay was amazing in Noise/Funk. She carried the show vocally and delivered an electrifying performance, so that was ok.

The Will Rogers Follies was a great show and deserved Best Musical in one of the tightest Tony races. It was a strong season with many good shows, but Will Rogers Follies was excellent.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#127re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 11:35am

Wait wait - your LEAST favorite recording? Have you tried listening to Tyne Daly?? When she was onstage, it was fine as she acted the hell out of the songs, but listening without benefit of the visual is torturous.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

HeartinNYC Profile Photo
HeartinNYC
#128re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 11:50am

Nathan Lane ~ "egregiously overlooked" in "Love! Valour! Compassion!"

Neither a borrower nor a lender be...unless that's mine in the first place.
Updated On: 7/7/04 at 11:50 AM

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#129re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 12:27pm

"nystateomind - i was referring the the producers OF Hairspray. Not the show. Actual, real people."

i know, i wasn't refering to your comment, there were others who were talking about "the producers", saying they shouldn't have won as many tonys as they did.

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#130re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 12:46pm

Antonio Banderas losing to Harvey Fierstein. Antonio was so much better and had a much larger role.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#131re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 12:50pm

I think Brian Stokes Mitchell losing to Harvey. He was absolutely amazing in MoLM- the only time I've ever seen a standing O in the middle of a show... he should have won.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#132re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 12:53pm

Well, in any case.. Harvey should not have won.

BWayBoy88
#133re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 1:54pm

Antonio Banderas should of won! He put his heart and soul into that role. BSM was also a lot better than Harvey. How many times have you seen a show where someone gets a standing ovation in the middle of the show! The Impossible Dream was one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#134re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:01pm

R62------Helen Gallagher (No, No Nanette) beat out Elaine Stritch (Company) for the Best Actress TONY.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Plum
#135re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:05pm

Please forgive me my first grammar correction post-

It's should have. Not should of. "Should of" sounds phonetically correct, but definition-wise it's wrong. I'm only saying this because it was pointed out a few posts ago by Mister Matt.

And I think that the Peters/Winokur thing has become distorted with time. When the voting occurred, people thought Peters was chronically absent (though she wasn't) thanks to Riedel. Hairspray was clearly the big winner of the night. The choice looked downright foolish, though, when Peters delivered her knockout performance of Rose's Turn during the ceremony and was then beaten by Winokur, who did a good job in a fluffier role. Okay, that's all.

*slinks away quietly* Updated On: 7/7/04 at 02:05 PM

sean martin
#136re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:09pm

>> He was absolutely amazing in MoLM- the only time I've ever seen a standing O in the middle of a show

God forgive me for what I am about to say, but...

MoLM was one of the worst revivals I can recall outside of FOLLIES. The show was all about the set, which is not a good thing, and the director staged almost every number by having the singer come downstage center and sing to the audience. Gah. No doubt, Brian has a great voice and a powerful stage presence. But he was lost in this one.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

BroadwayDiva
#137re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:13pm

It's ok, Sean Martin. We're all entitled to our opinion, even though I don't agree with yours.

sean martin
#138re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:15pm

Thank you, BD. :)

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

BWayBoy88
#139re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:24pm

The direction might of been bad, but I'm talking about his performance. I think Antonio should of won, but I think that BSM was a lot better than Harvey. The point I'm trying to make is that there were two performers who deserved the Tony more than Harvey.

#140re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:29pm

The Lion King (Glorified Puppet Show) winning over RAGTIME for best musical.

BroadwayDiva
#141re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:44pm

I agree 100% with Singingbackup-- Ragtime was a lot better than TLK. Ragtime was beautiful, with great acting, great songs, a great story... TLK was so Disney (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't think it should have won!)

Stephen Schwartz not winning a Tony for Godspell or Pippin.

sean martin
#142re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:45pm

>> Stephen Schwartz not winning a Tony for Godspell or Pippin

Definitely Pippin. That was a crying shame.

MargoChanning
#143re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:56pm

Little Night Music beat out Pippin that year -- I'd have voted that way also. Annie beat Godspell -- hmmmm???

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#144re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 2:59pm

Again, I agree with Margo. The score to PIPPIN simply doesn't hold up to one of the greatest scores ever written for the theatre.

And let's not get into the LION KING/RAGTIME debate. Those who dismiss it as just a 'puppet show' have absolutely no concept of world theatre and the different methods of live storytelling employed by many different cultures. It may make a nice sound bite, but it's a completely ignorant assessment of this show.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

sean martin
#145re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 3:03pm

I would have put it as close, but, as much as I love SS, I still probably would have gone for Schwartz that year. Gut feeling, more than anything else.

>> Those who dismiss it as just a 'puppet show' have absolutely no concept of world theatre and the different methods of live storytelling employed by many different cultures

Amen. I sometimes think Julie Taymor is as close to a theatrical god as we're gonna ever see.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#146re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 3:14pm

Don't get me wrong, Sean, I love the songs in PIPPIN. But as a cohesive whole (and one of my all-time favorites) I woulda checked off ALNM on my ballot!

And yes...didn't you know Julie Taymor not only works with puppets, she's Michael Eisner's puppet!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

sean martin
#147re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 3:20pm

>> didn't you know Julie Taymor not only works with puppets, she's Michael Eisner's puppet!

LOL -- you have no idea how freaked the execs at Disney were when they saw what she had in mind for that show. Talk about having no faith in your director -- they nearly scuttled the whole project when she walked in there and started talking about Balinese shadow puppets and people costumed as anthills.

I'd seriously kill to work with that woman. She's one of the few directors I know who has a real sense of theatrical vision.

BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#148re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 3:27pm

Well the original Pippin was apparently not the Pippin we see now. Did anyone see it? I would have to go with Pippin over ALNM.

#149re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/7/04 at 3:29pm

Ragtime not winning is the biggest travesty.
And I have to say that althought I love Pippin, I adore A Little Night Music. It is one of my favorite Sondheim shows of all time.

Videos