pixeltracker

dreamgirls the big screen adaption- Page 6

dreamgirls the big screen adaption

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#125dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/13/05 at 8:37pm

since "dreamgirls" is almost entirely sung through and has alot of recitative i'm pretty sure some of this will be adapted and/or replaced with actual speaking dialogue.

Plum
#126dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/13/05 at 8:40pm

Amazing how my question killed this thread, ain't it? *snerk*

Thank you for the reply, though, Marquise. And I love your avatar.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#127dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/13/05 at 9:14pm

I think they are going to cut a lot out of the Apollo Sequence.

I agree with Marq, I'm sure they will add more dialogue because the idea of listening to song after song won't be as attractive to mainstream audiences.

Does anybody think they will try and add a tune? (probably not since the show is long enough) Or possibly add it to the soundtrack in order to score an Oscar nom for best orig song? Maybe they could get Loretta Divine, Sheryl Lee, and Jennifer to sing something?

Plum
#128dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/13/05 at 9:16pm

I imagine that if they write a song for an Oscar nom it'll be played over the credits. And I also think you're right about adding more dialogue, especially because film acting can rely more heavily on facial expressions than stage acting, and singing constantly makes it harder to modulate those expressions.

MargoChanning
#129dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/13/05 at 9:40pm

They'd be stupid to cut so much as a line of the Apollo sequence -- it quickly and economically sets up everything that is to follow: in less than 15 minutes it presents all of the characters, their personalities, their motivations and the conflicts between them in an exciting, humorous, lightning fast way. It's cinematically staged narrative shorthand and cutting any of it will result in plot holes later in the show -- Condon couldn't top it if he tried. If anything, if I were director, I might (with the benefit of film editing) add snippets of an act or two more to the talent show, but still maintain all of the tensions of what's going on backstage.

If I were to change anything, it might be the "Heavy" sequence, which is not a great song, but more a useful device to see the escalating tensions within the group. I'd keep the multiple scenes showing the group falling apart, but get Krieger and Eyen to write a better song for it.

I've also always thought that the lyric to "Cadillac Car" was a little clunky and too didactic -- I like the point it makes about the symbolism of the Cadillac and its significance to blacks and Jews, but the song itself isn't great -- I'd want to replace it with something similar in message, but with a more subtle, well-crafted lyric.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#130dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/13/05 at 10:09pm

i agree with channing. the Apollo sequence is far too important to cut for the very reasons he stated. adding a group or two would be a great idea. this sequence alone should play great on film, the bright lights, the music, the tension in the air of a do-or-die talent show, the audiences reaction, the introduction of each character...just thinking about the possibilities of this on film! i cannot wait to see this finally preserved on celluloid. i hope they dont let us fans down.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#131dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/13/05 at 10:26pm

They definitly need to go back to the pre-broadway Act 2 Opening Dreams-Medley. I don't know about the parts with Michelle and Lorell and the reporters. But the old medley should definitly be back in.

MargoChanning
#132dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/13/05 at 10:35pm

I personally saw about 5 different openings to Act II -- Bennett never stopped changing and reworking it, even more than a YEAR after the show had been running as a hit on Broadway (he restaged it completely for the LA production and then, liking the results, put that opening into the NYC production, March 1983). I don't think there's a definitive version -- I don't really have a favorite -- so let's see what Condon comes up with since he has the advantage of film editing and quick cuts at his disposal.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#133dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/13/05 at 10:46pm

Well, I'm talking about the one from the Boston tryout.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#134dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/14/05 at 12:11am

maybe the opening will be an oppurtunity to showcase some r+b and broadway talent of today as the contestants at the apollo. i think itd be a perfect oppurtunity for that.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Kris2 Profile Photo
Kris2
#135dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/14/05 at 12:42am

Ya know Tonya, I was thinking the exact same thing. The Apollo scene would be a real easy way to slip in a few "names" but maintain the integrity of the show.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#136dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/14/05 at 1:24pm

Actually, casting the whole Apollo sequence with R&B stars would be very interesting if all The Dreams were unknown. Audiences would see Acts they were familiar with, then The Dreamettes burst on the scene. The audiece could discover their talents for the first time. It could be a star-making turn for all three...That's if Beyonce turns it down :)

iluvtheatertrash
#137dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/14/05 at 1:37pm

Going to be hot, I think. Very, very hot indeed.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

dreamboy2004
#138dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/15/05 at 9:00pm

Ok let me first say that I am very excited to hear that there is going to be a film version of Dreamgirls.I think that the idea is "wonderful...what can I say but wonderful" Now let me cler up a huge misconception about The suprmes. First of all there was light skinned supreme. Original memeber Florence Ballard was of a light complexion,and it is she that many have said that she is the one Effie was losely based on. Now with that said let me start with whom I think should be casted in the major roles. I know many of you feel no one associated with Destiny's Child should be considerd for this film but I feel one of the members could do wonders in this film. No it's not Beyonce,but Kelly Rowland. The reason I say Kelly is because her voice seems more versitile.Unlike Beyonce she can give you soul but also light and popish. To hear what I'm talking about get their latest cd and listen to number seven. Her solo is phenominal. Plus Kelly is more verstile with her look. Deena goes from the short bob style hair to medium length,to long flowing like rupunzle. And I've followed Destiny's Child career for sometime now and Kelly has done all these looks.I really belive she has the ablity to go from that innocent girl afraid to take lead,to the fierce diva Deena becomes. For Curtis I can't see anybody else but Jamie Fox. He would be wonderful in this role. He can act and sing. Next Effie White,I like the idea of Tarraly Ramsey. She's no that well known and I'd really like to see her become a star with this role. Lorrel I am going with Fantasia. She has the voice of lorell and the sass to match. I've seen her ont.v and I think she is Lorrel. Jimmy I'd cast Tyrese. He has that old soulful voice and can portray that wildness the character needs. I strongly feel that Effie needs to be fat. No matter who portrayed Effie after Jennifer Holliday,she is the one the world most remebers. She is the one took Dreamgirls and became a star. I trully feel a fat Effie will help the progression of the story.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#139dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/15/05 at 10:01pm

Kelly has a beautiful voice. I too have followed Destiny's Child since "No, No, No" back in the day and I think that she would be a good choice. Her only problem is that she is in Beyonce's shadow. It would definitly be a chance for her to step out though.I've noticed on this new albumn that she is hanging with Beyonce in the singing, dancing, and performance aspects. In their last two videos she was the one I couldn't keep my eyes off of...I don't know about her acting though. She would definitly need a lot of work there...Isn't Tarralyn Ramsey skinny now? ....And Dreamboy, I'm with you on Fantasia. If they don't cast her I think they need to go with an unknown as Lorrell.

Since, we're still stuck on the casting, what do ya'll think about Sasha Allen or Dequina for Deena?

Also, what song would you guys most like cut from them movie? I don't know about songs but there are some lines I would love to cut.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#140dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/15/05 at 10:07pm

i would definitely like to see Jamie Foxx in "Dreamgirls" but not as "Curtis Taylor, Jr.". I personally think he would be an awesome "James Thunder Early".

The casting of the other roles are important but there's only one character that they have to be careful with in casting, and that's the character of "Effie".

Whoever they choose has some very big shoes to fill and that person also has to sing the sh!t out of the show's signature song: "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going". If they take a step in the wrong direction with this character then the movie is doomed because she is essentially the central character and everything hinges upon it.

I am hoping they cast someone that has the personality and most importantly the voice to carry this role off and make it a winner on screen.

Hollywood screwed up "Phantom" by casting a "pretty boy" with a "limited singing voice" let's hope the producers of "Dreamgirls" make wiser casting choices and film this piece properly.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#141dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/15/05 at 10:13pm

i agree with u dreamboy. i hadnt even thought about kelly.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#142dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/15/05 at 10:26pm

Go, Kelly! Goooooo!

dreamboy2004
#143dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/15/05 at 11:58pm

I would like to see them expand more on the Heavy scence. Say ok it starts at the rehearsal for the tv show, then the backstage argument. Then the words appear on the screen six months later and Deena and Effie fight over lead in front of an audience. Then they the girls get into it in a public place like a resturant. I just feel that they show that it was a constant problem with Effie. I've never seen the actual recording but it seemed like Effie was gone in such a short time.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#144dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/16/05 at 12:42am

Effie does get her walking papers quick! Everytime, I think about what they should cut, I keep wanting them to add back in stuff that was cut from the show. I want Loretta's press confrence response in the movie. Ghetto, you know what I'm talking about!? When the reporter asked her about her relationship with Jimmy.

Oh, Honey, please!
Now that's no question to ask a girl
You know I do have my pride...

I forgot how the rest goes.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#145dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/16/05 at 12:35pm

Cheryl Barnes is also on the Magic Show OBCR. She now teaches piano lessons in CA. (Why she retired from singing/acting - I haven't a clue, cuz she was one amazing singer)

Also, the "real" Effie did die a penniless alcoholic.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#146dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/16/05 at 1:03pm

Is that the same Cheryl Barnes who's in the movie Hair?

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#147dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/16/05 at 1:06pm

Yes.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#148dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/16/05 at 1:17pm

Wow, what a voice

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#149dreamgirls the big screen adaptation
Posted: 1/16/05 at 4:32pm

I would like to see more of Michelle Morris in the film. Maybe see a little of her & CC's romance.How about a little more Marty too,perhaps a few scenes with Marty finding Effie down & out in Chicago & helping her get back on her feet.

Videos